• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

project merman...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Lambi, yeah i know the place. even though i'm not from Crete, i've been there quite a few times since my mother moved there a few years ago. great island but does not have the magic of Santorini for me. so i guess i'll see you during the summer, keep in touch and take care.
delphicly, Noa

Reactions: bobbybuttr
thanks for the wetsuit tip Peter. gonna check it out as i've been talking to some other suit manufacturers but this sounds good.
delphic regards, Noa

Hi Peter, i checked out that material and it does look interesting. only problem is making the fin have the same print pattern to make the whole suit look coherent. might have to stick with black to start out until i find ways to improve it.
delphicly, Noa

Gotta dilema...i can't really wear a mask or annything like that (it would't be very mermanlike) but i would like to see the people in the sub fairly clearly to be able to judge reactions and act acordingly. So what remains, just lenses i imagine but as far as i know they are really expensive and uncomfortable. Any ideas on what i could do on this one ? Might just have to dive without anything and addapt...
delphicly, Noa

Auto-compensating pipe-goggles? Speedo has some goggles w/ a mirrored lens that would make you look cool. Then hide the pipe for aesthetics.

Another alternative, would be fluid goggles.

Yeah i thought of fluid goggles but they still look too "human wearing gear". thats why i was thinking of contact lens, still don't know for sure...
delphicly, Noa

Originally posted by Pezman
Then hide the pipe for aesthetics.
rofl

A few years back they were talking about full eye contact lents, with underwater correction... plenty of green ones, but your boss may pay if you find them!

How about painting up a cressi minima or similar? Giving it some seaweed color brushstrokes might break up the "mask" look.

Adrian

Maybe learn some cool Illusionist tricks, to show in front of the people? A bunch of plastic rozes? Cointrics, A heat full of sardines?

Have a mermaid arround and do some seadancing, it will surely capture any couples imagination!

Arnoud, a friend of mine, is a mermaid in his freetime. Visit his homepage at: www.freemerfolk.nl

Try to find a someone who's composes dances, and make an intresting dance with a certain story.

Here is a nice underwater dance by Igor Liberti,
http://cgi.tachyon-consulting.nl/freediving/media/movies/IgorLiberti_subaquadance.zip

Swim slowly and fluidly arround, with long hair etc. And show what's so nice in the Ocean.

Good luck and I definetly want to see some pictures and a detailed story!

Kars.

Hey Kars, cool ideas and info. i like your friends site, he seems as "out there" as i am. yeah will definitelly give updates and pics. at this point in time it's still looking like i'll be diving with nothing on my eyes. yeah underwater contact lenses would be good, but are expensive and i don't know where to get them anyway. also heard they're really uncomfortable. still searching...
delphicly, Noa

Nothing will be as cool as fellow fish or octopus following you around. If you fed them they will recognize you and may learn to follow you around... just hide the food (or perfume... tuna oil or like) on the belt, special neckless, the foot pockets... or something like that.

You could leave behind a cloud of this shiny stuff the girls use on makeup... a kind of magic trail.

And about to hide a tank under or over the sub, and while changing sides have a little discrete breathe... just to keep under more time than anyone could imagine (don't forget the computer).

Build thin gloves with membranes in between the fingers... good mobility and will look impressive if you stick a hand in front of the pretty girl.

Leave a present from the depth for the kids or again the pretty one! :eek:

Use a scooter that you will leave over the sub to get faster under and back to the surface. A sub have plenty of dead angles you can hide in, learn them.

You could use makeup on the face... better than a three days old beard!

If you dont find blue for the material... paint everything shiny silver and bleach your hair; he could look cool and modern... easier for the googles!

Have a good blast, and queep us inform :)

Last edited:
Thats some cool ideas Pablo, thanks. Already been working on the glitter trail idea and i'm looking for possible glitter options. Fish feeding is another thing i thought of but i'm caught in a dillema of not feeding animals in nature. If i do go ahead what do you think is the best and most practical food for the little buggers.
delphicly, Noa

You could expect the sub management already feed the fish to keep a healthy local population of friends! that should keep you out of dilemmas.

Tuna oil is highly efficient to get fish interest, ask the local about what ever they use as bait. Get a few squids, tuna oil and couple of sardines on a mixer ad some thickening and keep frizzed until you dive. Smashed boiled eggs with old bread may be an easier option... and you could avoid smelling like a rotten mermaid! :yack

If nothing works, and things get to hard, you can always turn comic, and use a fake white beard, big trident, plastic fishes and a shelf neckless. People and kids like a good laugh too! ;)

hi Pablo, actually i don't think they already do any fish feeding, so it's gonna be u to me. i'm going to concuct the mix from hell and the little fellows are gonna love it. the question is where to keep it when i dive as i will not use a belt or anything. maybe i could have it in my mouth... yuck:yack will let you know.
ah yes, new question. does anyone know how to blow the really circular bubbles underwater, you know the ones that come up looking like a big ring. wanna learn how to do them and blow a few for the crowd down there.
thanks heaps for the help mate.
delphicly, Noa

Noa,
To blow bubble rings you just need to fill your mouth completely with air, face the surface and stick the tip of your tounge against your lips. Blow the bubble fast and slightly forcibly using your tounge and lips to form the ring. You can practice this while laying on the bottom of the pool! :cool:

That's the best I can describe it... Good luck mate!
Aaron

Noa I do those rings without the tonge,

Like flyboy said, keep your head backwards, have some air in your mouth and use your mouth to build up pressure and let the al the air in your mouth pop out in one power Pop! In the way like you would do an powerful P-sound. lips bent inwards, pressure-> pop :D

Ok that would ben mine best description :)
If you find it hard use a little more or less air in your mouth, be sure the water above is still, your mouthopening is in a horzontal postion. Like Flayboy said practice in the pool, Good luck.

The better you get, the more rings you'll be able to make on one breath.

Kars

COOL ! got something new to practice for the show now, bubble rings, ha ha...
delphicly, Noa

Noa, If you can't wear a weight belt but will carry a trident, just fill the long handle with lead shot or rods of steel. This solves the problem of being able to ditch your weight easily. Just toss the spear down. 5 or 6 pounds of weight should be easy to fit in a long hollow handle.

Maybe you can tie a rope to the sub with a little float trailing behind. This should not be visible to the occupants of the sub, but may make it easier to follow the sub while you breathe up, and pull yourself down when your legs are tired from a long day. I forgot how deep you said it was.

It may be interesting to keep a log of your bottom times day by day. I'm sure you'll be surprised at the end of the season how long they have extended.

Sounds like a great job. I hope you have fun with it.

Jim

keeping a log would be good, but i don't know if i wanna be wearing a watch. it looks too human, mermen don't wear watches. i know it sounds like i might be going overboard with this, but i want to show them that i'm a really different creature down there, if you know what i mean.
for a bit of a funny part, i'm thinking of performing a short and simple magic trick down there. any goon ideas ?
delphicly, Noa

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT