• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Q: short band speargun recommendations for UK?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
I'm toying with the idea of getting a short speargun, sub-75cm, to complement my current pair of spearguns (75 & 90cm) for UK conditions and fish. I wonder if anyone had thoughts, suggestions, insights, or preferences on this that they'd care to share - such as size, brand/model/type/band(s)?

I'm thinking 50cm-60cm size maybe? But 35cm & 45cm options are available too.

The idea would be to use it for poor Viz, reef gullies, wrecks/"structure", shallow water, weeds, flatties.

Spear? Multi-prong "cave-gun"? Thick strong spear? Threaded tip?

I generally favour the simple single flopper Taihitia -style but I have found the superlight, close-fitting, too-mounted, Omer floppers far less reliable than the much longer, far heavier, bottom-fitted Rob Allen floppers. Perhaps a screw-on twin floppers at the tip arrangement?

Last edited:
One model that particularly appeals to me is the Cressi Commache Pacific 60cm but the smallest I have found in the UK is the 75cm model :(

It's not as cheap as many smaller spearguns but not bad considering the spec., I wouldn't need to customize it. Very cool double-rubber capable muzzle, shark-fin spear, bulk rubber band, dynemma wishbone I think. Hopefully Cressi will have ensured the Comanche (previously an affordable, successful, lightweight, competition speargun) trigger mech is up to this heavier application. I found the Comanche handle slim and comfortable.

Last edited:
A short rollergun? If so what size?

The first picture of a rollergun I saw was a very old, small, probably homemade, Oriental speargun. It looked like a child's toy except that it also appeared fully functional. Perhaps small is a "sweet spot" size for rollerguns?

Because the bands get too short on a band gun that is itself short this is where the rollergun shines as the bands get longer again. The first rollerguns were for low viz shooting in lakes as patented by Norbert Ebeling. The Japanese rollerguns make use of flat (and weak) rubber bands.
Norbert Ebeling catfish gun.jpg

This gun repositions the parts of a Beuchat Arbalete, although it could easily have been a Cavalero Champion Arbalete, by boring out the muzzle and mounting it backwards on the barrel tube with a new roller muzzle. Catfish were the intended victims.

Reactions: Mr. X
Interesting Pete. It is slightly more expensive than the one I was looking at but since it includes a reel ( and bag and fish stringer?) it is really effectively a bit cheaper/ better value.

So you think larger rollerguns work better (eg 85-110 rather than 35-60cm)?

Re. Price drop, it is post -Summer, the resellers probably need to offload current stocks to make way for next year's models and fresher rubbers.

Last edited:
BTW anyone carrying/using short (under 70cm) spearguns regularly? Especially in the UK?

I came across an ex-spearo nearby who said he only ever used a short pneumatic speargun (50cm??). I think he fished mainly Portland Harbour. Reckons he caught a lot of good fish (probably 20 or 30 years ago).

I have used the Mares "Miniministen” for many years, so much so I wore the first one out and replaced it with the green handle Sten 87 version. The fish shot are the usual flatties and mullet and whatever strayed within shooting range. Up close and personal shots that is, with slightly lobbed shots taking out the mullet and goatfish. Showing no interest in the fish and seemingly oblivious, you turn on them when they least expect it. Treachery and (mis)placed trust are the hallmarks of successful spearfishing!
Miniministens 1.JPG

Miniministens 4.JPG
Miniministens 3.JPG

If I was in the market for a small powerful gun I would take a Sigalsub nemesis 76 (that’s the shortest they have) then cut the barrel back to 62 cm and put a inverted muzzle on it.
56747427f1ee828a01b46890e42e596e.jpg

Something like this or maybe better like a roisub muzzle although I can’t find them on their site anymore.
6d62c75562b56769033aa40c533b1f5c.jpg

c901a13f0d932d216da8d2afeb9adee4.jpg

3ab2b78fdc8617a4a2a2b445386de70a.jpg

Or Ermes Sub muzzle.
b28b618395fe128aecc90c7c4b41882b.jpg

You will have to get a different shaft but it would be a nice compact gun with a good trigger and nice handle.

You could easily play with different configurations until you find something that perfectly suits your needs.

Here is a pneumatic of 40 cm going cheap, the Omer "Tempest". https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omer-Te...987792?hash=item469cf49e90:g:bIAAAOSwpBNddIPa

These guns all come from the same suppliers and are all clones of the "Sten". Hang Fung Industrial copied the "Asso" which is itself a copy of a "Sten", but the Omer will have a more believable warranty, although you hope that you never need it. Rock bottom price for a "Sten" clone is 100 bucks, but rock bottom is what you get in the shortest guns. You can buy the Asso 30 for 100 bucks, but it ain't worth the money as you might as well hunt with a toothpick (well not really, but you get my drift).

At one time Salvimar were selling at an out the door price of 99 bucks for their Vintair 35 cm, but that bargain price seems to be now over and the guns were slapped together with no fettling of the parts, although with some time on your hands you could have fixed this with a sharp Exacto knife. I bought two for my nephews as future fish stickers.
s-l1600.png

Last edited:
Bear in mind that guns are rated differently, check out a 30 cm Asso and a 35 cm Vintair.
salvimar-vintair-speargun-35.jpg

asso30.jpg
Apples are not apples even allowing for the magnification difference, the Vintair is a much longer gun.
Note: Scubastore have the Vintair 35 cm for 102 bucks! https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/salvimar-vintair-speargun-35/137341/p That is still a good price because the Vintair is made in Italy and not screwed together with parts from China.

Last edited:
A better comparison. In fact the Vintair 35 cm is the same length as a Mares "Miniministen" as I checked one alongside the other and the tank lengths are near identical.
Vintair 35 vs Asso 30.jpg

Last edited:
I have put plenty of shots through the Vintair's predecessor, so I speak with experience of these guns.
afterdivewash7.jpg

What would be a good, versatile size for a short pneumatic, bearing in mind that I already have a 75cm bandgun? Would 50cm be a good choice?

I believe a 50cm pneumatic would be significantly shorter than a 50cm bandgun. So, even a 70cm pneumatic would be significantly shorter than my 75cm bandgun and could perhaps fill the role of short gun/cave gun?

Btw do all pneumatics require and come with a pump? If not, how do pressurise them?

Last edited:
What would be a good, versatile size for a short pneumatic, bearing in mind that I already have a 75cm bandgun? Would 50cm be a good choice?

I believe a 50cm pneumatic would be significantly shorter than a 50cm bandgun. So, even a 70cm pneumatic would be significantly shorter than my 75cm bandgun and could perhaps fill the role of short gun/cave gun?

Btw do all pneumatics require and come with a pump? If not, how do pressurise them?
All pneumatic spearguns come with a hand pump, except maybe stolen ones sold on eBay when the burglar could not find the pump or was too dumb to realize that they had one. A "Ministen" should be OK, not too small and not too big and they come with or without the power regulator, about 55 cm in length. Any brand will do, Mares, Cressi-Sub or Salvimar. The guns should float after the shot, if you want more buoyancy then pack the hollow handle butt with foam, but most do not need it. The old "Cyrano" 55 cm does not float thanks to its short tank and long snout, I only found this out after I bought one in 2000. I replaced it with a "Taimen" as then you can forget your gun while you grab your fish as the "Taimen" floats after the shot, but it just as well could have been a "Ministen" or a “Vintair”. Note that guns often receive colour scheme changes to freshen them up for renewed sales appeal.
vintair models.jpg

Last edited:
This is my "Taimen", a very unique pneumatic gun from Russia which is designed for fishing under weedy conditions, like spearing in a floating haystack looking for lurking ambush predators. That is why it has such reduced dimensions. To get around the small tank volume everything has been optimised to produce a powerful shot. Killed quite a lot of fish with it in the “seaweed jungle”. Although rated as a 600 (60 cm) it is closer to a 55 cm as the raked handle adds to the length. The latest model has a less angular handle as some did not like the old handle, especially when wearing thick dive gloves in icy conditions.
Taimen rigged.JPG

Reactions: Mr. X and Kodama
Here is a pneumatic of 40 cm going cheap, the Omer "Tempest". https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Omer-Te...987792?hash=item469cf49e90:g:bIAAAOSwpBNddIPa

These guns all come from the same suppliers and are all clones of the "Sten". Hang Fung Industrial copied the "Asso" which is itself a copy of a "Sten", but the Omer will have a more believable warranty, although you hope that you never need it. Rock bottom price for a "Sten" clone is 100 bucks, but rock bottom is what you get in the shortest guns. You can buy the Asso 30 for 100 bucks, but it ain't worth the money as you might as well hunt with a toothpick (well not really, but you get my drift).

At one time Salvimar were selling at an out the door price of 99 bucks for their Vintair 35 cm, but that bargain price seems to be now over and the guns were slapped together with no fettling of the parts, although with some time on your hands you could have fixed this with a sharp Exacto knife. I bought two for my nephews as future fish stickers.
s-l1600.png
Well looks like "rock bottom" price has a new calibration, here is a 90 cm Aqua Gear (Hang Fung) pneumatic for 59 bucks.

All pneumatic spearguns come with a hand pump, except maybe stolen ones sold on eBay when the burglar could not find the pump or was too dumb to realize that they had one. A "Ministen" should be OK, not too small and not too big and they come with or without the power regulator, about 55 cm in length. Any brand will do, Mares, Cressi-Sub or Salvimar...
:D Saw a Cressi SL 55cm on eBay last week but looked like no pump. To be fair, I don't think it was stolen, the seller knew enough to show pictures showing the pressure with a gauge and water-tightness with a bucket of water.

Thanks for suggesting/ confirming size Pete. Interesting that you say any (well known?) brand will do. You must have quite a collection.

:D Saw a Cressi SL 55cm on eBay last week but looked like no pump. To be fair, I don't think it was stolen, the seller knew enough to show pictures showing the pressure with a gauge and water-tightness with a bucket of water.

Thanks for suggesting/ confirming size Pete. Interesting that you say any (well known?) brand will do. You must have quite a collection.
It has more to do with many guns coming from the same sub-contractor. Parts are even interchangeable from various brands, but not always. To differentiate themselves and encourage brand loyalty some use different spear tail shapes for their pistons and different thread sizes for their hand pump connections. The situation has worsened as now there is a multiplicity of barrel bore sizes when long ago 13 mm was a virtual standard. A larger barrel bore delivers more power for the same pressure in the gun. At one time there were 14 mm barrel bores on the big banger guns, you had to be strong to load them at maximum operating pressure.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT