• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

reccomendations for training program...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

charcaradon

South African in Canada
Oct 21, 2002
Hey guys

I know there are a plethora of incredibly distinguished breath hold divers on this forum - firstly, I must express my thanks for your willingness to share your wealth of knowledge so freely.

I've been spearfishing for quite some time, but never got in with a group of accomplished spearos where I could learn the "proper way" of doing things. I've now committed to pursuing a focused training regime in pursuit of more commendable bottom times. What training (in the gym) would be considered condusive to improving one's apnea ability? Would any of you be willing to share your training programs?

Thanks for your time... :D

Hey great white,

Personally I recommend you to improve your VO2 max (or maximum amount of O2 that can be utilised during aerobic type of exercise), rather than gym training (in the beginning).

I have VO2 max of 85%. The problem is that I carry too much muscle mass after 4 years of full dedication to a resistance (anaerobic) based program. If i didn't have that much muscle I would be easily diving today down to 70 m (of course after a period of adaptation to CO2 levels, pressure accommodation and all that jazz.)

You can build (and improve) your V02 max through activities such as swimming (train your rotator cuff though), running (watch out injuries), cycling (my favourite, but watch proper biomechanics on the bike or you'll wreck your knees), rowing, mountaineering at serious level, cross-country skiing (another favourite, watch technique too), and variations of those such as duathlons, triathlons, etc.

Well, after you accomplish a decent aerobic level, "polish" yourself with serious weight training. If you decide to skip the first step, send my an e-mail and I give you a simple program. if further interested log into:

www.hardgainer.com. You'll learn more there.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards, gerard.

:naughty Ooooops!

Gee I didn't see that BIG mistake: it's not 85%, it's 85 mL/min.

That's better.

Uuuufff!:eek:

Regards, gerard.

VO2 MAX

Gerard - I think that is 85 ml/min/KG.
With that you must be multi talent in sports. Miguel Indurain used to have 88 ml/min/Kg and everyone knows that he was not from this world.
Maybe you're one of them too?

Indurain's VO2 max or mine

are nothing compared to the norwegian cross-country skier, whose name I can't recall right now, who recorded a VO2 max of 94 mL/Kg/min or 94 L/min.

Greg Lemond's V02 max was 92.5 L/min.

Why didn't I excel?

It's a personal matter which shouldn't ber discussed here.

Take care, gerard.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT