• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Recommend me a watch for spearing and depth

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I owned Omer UP-X1R. It only worked once and most of the time it spent was being shipped around the around for warranty. The problems it had was :
1-intermittently reset itself
2- wont activate dive mode and wasted my 1000km dive trip.
3- Battery indicator wont show correct reading
4- you need to recharge about every month.
5- HR monitor was fine.
I have the Omer UP-X1R and honestly it has been amazing. Reliable, good information (although I don't use the HR monitor), and not too big to wear daily if you live somewhere pretty casual. I spearfish and freedive regularly up to depths of about 30m and the watch has become essential - I have it set to beep every 10m so if I am stalking I know to think about pulling up after the second beep :). Living in a remote part of the world the rechargeable battery is a massive bonus too! Honestly, of all the watches on the market this one has to be the best value even if you aren't bothered about the HR function - remember, the price includes the interface cable.

Same here, been on the look out for a drake for weeks now, since it seems to be one of the best fd watches.
And while doing that I started wondering why there is just one computer that at least tries to go into the direction all gadgets do: interconnectivity with android and iOS (propietary cables and interfaces that are not included and costly but necessary to use the full functionality of this high end device I bought for hundreds of money units? Welcome to the 90's!), a decent display (still monochrome with blue backlight, srsly?!), wristworn HRM (think fitness bracelet, worn separately under the suit connecting to the watch).

I mean I get the whole "simple is good, necessary information only" vibe, but could someone at least try to build a freediving computer for the 21st century (that preferably does not look like an iPhone straddled on my wrist)? /rant

Anyways, looks like I'll be shelling out for a drake and wait another 5-10 years for some decent miniaturisation and design work to happen. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even though it has been more than 2 years after your post, the 21st century has not arrived for the majority of dive computers. We may have been spoiled by the yearly upgrades in mobiles and I do get all the scale and economics factors behind it.... but come on...
1. The only dive computer with OLED screen (Teric) costs more than 1100 USD.
2. The only dive computer with built-in heart rate sensor (Garmin MK1) costs more than 1000 USD.
3. Features like stroke count for pool training like Scubapro Mantis are marketed as the state of the art innovation.
4. Same thing for Bluetooth connectivity with mobiles, vibration alerts, rechargeable batteries.... only a couple or a handful (if we consider the new chinese and taiwanese brands as well e.g. Atmos ) has it, even though we are almost in 2020! (Seriously?)

I still think that a heart rate is an essential piece of information for freedivers to train in the pool and open water, but it seems that it will take another 10 years to become a standard feature with an affordable price. /rant :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT