• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Reloaded - The BlueSkunk Bubble Ring Challenge 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

immerlustig

BlueSkunk
Aug 17, 2002
Greetings,

After last years grand success we are back again with yet another challenge to find the one and only, the true incarnation, the real freediving god of this year.

The art of bubble-ringing has lately received a huge influx of new and promising athletes. We all look forward to an even tighter competition with even closer results. The plot thickens, indeed!

Also, to avoid conspiracies and manipulations in the eventual voting process, we have reviewed and refined the judging procedure. A separate thread will describe the details of it. Still, what will remain is that every deeperblue member will have the opportunity to judge.

But first, here are the rules for participation:

1. Bubble rings must be done while freediving and logically you may only submit your own work. Please, try very hard to make the best bubble ring you can and don't submit it until you are sure it is perfect. We want to see your BEST work.
2. Only two bubble ring submissions (photos) per athlete are allowed. You can post one immediately, and another one before the deadline, if you think the competition is too fierce and you need more practise ;-)
3. Any submitted photo must, obviously, contain at least one bubble ring. The size of submitted photos should be 600x800.
4. Deadline for all submissions is the 10th October 2006. Any bubble ring posted on a later date will not be considered.
5. After the deadline a poll will be opened (on a separate thread) with the names of all freedivers who submitted a valid bubble ring. The voting deadline will be the 30th of November 2006.
6. Only deeperblue members may act as judges.
7. The winner will be Bubble Ring World Champion 2006

The heat is on.

For honour and glory,

Roland

Disclaimer: all participants are trained professionals who understand and accept all risks involved in this extreme sport. We urge the uneducated rest of you to refrain from this potentially harmful activity! In case of doubt consult your common sense, insurance or lawyer.

:)

Attachments

• bubble-world-aug-2006-s.jpg
    bubble-world-aug-2006-s.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
For those who want to know little bit more about bubble rings, the math and physics behind it, there is a fabulous bubble ring website here:

THE PHYSICS OF BUBBLE RINGS AND OTHER DIVER'S EXHAUSTS

It includes also very detailed instructions explaining how to blow bubble rings correctly, many macro photos, math and physics formulas, links and more:

photo credit © DeepOcean.net

And there is another beautiful bubble ring oriented website with a lot of info, videos, photos, links and even description of bubble ring generator machines at http://www.bubblerings.com/

photo credit © BubbleRings.com

Reactions: immerlustig
Oh, great. I was waiting for this from last year. :)

Hope this year contestants will deliver some nice pieces of art - like they did last year.

And yes - hope no skin games and frame-ups will occur.

Hey - I wanna subscribe to that mag. :D

Petr

My camera broke after a week of diving :/ But I've managed to save some "bubble ring training" photos! Not my best, but nonetheless - enjoy.

Attachments

• F1180021.JPG
    F1180021.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 145
  • F1180031.JPG
    F1180031.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 163
er453r said:
My camera broke after a week of diving :/ But I've managed to save some "bubble ring training" photos! Not my best, but nonetheless - enjoy.
Beautiful! At the second photo I am not sure if I understand the perspective correctly - it looks as if you had the tips of your fins over the surface and blowing the bubble ring horizontally! :) I doubt it is the case though, aside from [ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=102403208917923411&q=bubble+rings"]these Belugas[/ame], I did not see anyone blowing rings horizontally. I tried it myself, and do not think it is possible for a human :).

Actually it's a photo of my sister in my bubble-ring-frame :p But I knew that someone will get it this way! :D

I like the second one for that reason, I like the way it makes you think about it instead of just looking at it and seeing a pretty bubble ring, good work! :)

hi,

where are we suppose to post the pictures? here?

unfortunately I don't own an underwater camera myself and I don't know anybody who has got one. however, there are some scuba divers training in the pool where I swim so I'll ask them.

well... here is an "above the water" picture of a ring bubble just braking the surface - I don't know wheter this also counts or not :)

bube

bubble.jpg

So cool! Looks like young biblical Moses training his water-controling skills :p

trux said:
Beautiful! I doubt it is the case though, aside from these Belugas, I did not see anyone blowing rings horizontally. I tried it myself, and do not think it is possible for a human :).
WOW!!! this is amazing. but where is the air coming from? Belugas also have a top blow hole, don't they? but the air from the bubble is coming out of the mouth, so is it stomach air?

in terms of feasbility, I think the trick is to blow out with a lot of pressure and not so much air (my conlcusion after having seen the vid).
I'll devote my future ring bubble pool time in trying to do one of those, thats for sure :)

bube

immerlustig said:
boobtube,
definitely conts. very original :)
roland

so definitely post possible competition pictures here in the forum??

also, is it still possible to see last years entries?

bube

I do not have any photo of my own bubble rings, but took a shot when my daughter attempted to make one. She is 12 years old and the ring broke quite fast, so it won't win, but maybe she'll get a prize for the most miscarried ring :D

laura-bubblering.jpg

Reactions: jimdoe2you
trux said:
and the ring broke quite fast,...
Actually, I find the broken ones (hundreds of small bubbles forming ONE perfect ring going all the way up) the most beautiful and interesting ones (so many things going on within the primary ring structure). Unfortunately, they are also the most difficult ones to reproduce on a constant bases (at least for me).

boobtube (that name ROCKS!!!!)rofl

Last edited:
Wow, some nice competitive bubblerings this year! I'm trying to do better than last year but it's hard when the visibility in Sweden comes to 2m and the bubble just disappears...

Unfortunanetly I'll be back in Dahab to late to train with the best bubblemakers ;-) and make a contribution.

Good luck all!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT