• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Resting pulse, not asleep...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is your average resting pulse?

• 80+

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 70-80

• 60-70

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • 50-60

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • 40-50

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Less than 40BPM

• Total voters
must have been lance armstrong with his 32 bpm vote for less than 40....

It's arround 45 sitting and typing, and when I lay down in bed 44 - 40. I haven't tested it much, and I'm wandering what it does during my sleep.

I'm 26, 1,89m, 69KG

Kars

Hi,
After waking up, just laying in bed: 44 bpm
Sitting and typing (WORKING!! RIGHT NOW!! :) ): 53
Days near a project deadline: 140!! :)

Just in case you want to know, also:

Max HR (tested running): 187
Anaerobic Threshold (running again): 171
Static apnea easy phase 'lock' pulse: 40 bpm
Beginning of Struggle phase: 60 bpm
End of Struggle phase pulse: 70 bpm

I don't own a TV set, so I have to play with my HR meter!

29 yo, 1.86m 86 kg

PS: It would be interesting to share our apnea HR's, both in Dynamic and Static, but not sure if you guys have this data.
Anyone has measured his HR in a dynamic sesion at the pool?. This figure could be used to train apnea walking more accurately If I'm not wrong

72 as i sit and type
43-53 at 20-25m on a passive exhale dive.
thats all i know. and that for statics its pretty high till 1st contraction after which it drops to somewhere in the 40's

hmm, based on Bevan's response, I'm going to draw my personal conclusion that it's not a highly relevant physical trait as far as freediving is concerned.

60 now resting infront of the keyboard

Have not tested while diving

Max HR 214
Max HR for 15 min 191-2

Height: 180cm
Weight: 81Kg

Its 60 when typing.

I´ve had 45 in static
Max: 200+
Height: 1.82
Weight: 58 kg

Man, I need a HR meter....

Have to agree with Pezman. My resting pulse has always been lower than Bevans, but it's chalk and cheese when it comes to natural apnea ability (ie.i'm normal).

Grant

took the polar out for a dive again today. was doing passive exhale dives to about 25m. pulse barely got below 60 while lying on the bottom. man, i must be pretty unfit!

p.s got the cheapest polar on the market. it says water resistant to 30m but i have worn it to 60m without problem.

i wouldn't be surprised if these things give inaccurate readings underwater. you could check by counting beats over 15secs to be sure.

i've tried counting beats underwater once. i can do it but i have to remain quite still in order to feel/hear them. i got about 25bpm at 10m after a passive exhale. this surprised me! i expected something like 40 or so.

my pulse right now seems to be around 60... but then i have got the lostprophets playing in the background! that probably accounts for an extra 2-3bpm :D if i was lying down and properly relaxed i would expect it to go down to around 50, maybe 45 but no less than that. the lowest it's ever been was 38-42 when i was in my early 20s and fit as a butcher's dog.

My heart rate (when in good shape) is in the 55-62 range.

I took an adidas HR monitor to 33m in a lake, rested on the bottom for a minute or so, then came up, and graphed it. I think it is still on a geocities page somewhere! (it was way back in 2000). HR only went to low 40's, although that monitor doesn't go below 40.

I did a similar experiment with a polar vantage NV, measuring every heart beat (R-R intervals). It would repeatedly show a minimum of 18 or so, but I'm pretty sure it was either a bad connection or an arrythmia--because I could feel my heart beating on those dives and it was around 40.

During the exhale phase of a 20:250:40 bhastrika cycle, I can routinely get my heart rate down to 27-29 beats per minute, starting with a resting rate of 60 (i.e. less than half), but the vagal stimulation is excruciating at best.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

In the morning, about 44-48 BPM. During the day, 54-60.
I routinely see less than 20 BPM on negatives to 10 metres and passive exhales to15+ metres.
Cheers,
Erik Y.

I've tested a passive exhale dive to the pool bottom, and my friend, freediver and student medicinemesured my hr at my wrist. He only came to 16 BPM, and we doupted this resuld very much.
So we did anouther one, I felt a little more "nervous" this time -hehe I'm being measured!- and he checked me in the neck, 7 weak pulses he counted over 15 sec. 7x4 = 28 BPM Hmm the lowest HR I've measured.

Next sunday we'll go to a 10m deep diving tower, and we have all the time to experiment there. I'll post it here, I'm looking forward to it!

Intresting tread.

Kars.

Kars and others, on these negatives how long does it take for the pulse to drop? i did a shortish forced exhale neg yesterday to maximum depth almost suffering lung squeeze and my pulse didnt get below 64. but today i did a shallower but longer neg and my pulse got to upper 30's towards the end. this was the equivalent of a strugle phase even though there were no contractions. given that in a static my pulse will drop during the struggle phase, i'm wondering how much of this bradycardia is from simulated pressure and how much is from hypoxia of hypercapnia? cheers

bevan

Hi

I have a "weak" bradycardi when I'm doing statics, my pulse is somewhere round 50-60 in the end (lowest).

When I dive down to about 20m and lying in the sand relaxing I get down to approx. 30.

For my body the pressure obviosly makes most of the bradycardi.

My buddy has 25-30 in the last minute of static so I guess it's individual....

Intresting question Bevan, I'll try to discover it. Have you any suggestions how we should test this the best way?

We have loads of time to dive, about 6 hours! But doing statics and dives for 6 ours is even for me a bit much ;)

But sure we have plenty of time to practice no hands equalisation, duckdives, rescue, depth, posture etc. Hack I think we should make a schedule for the day to fit everything in! LOL

We may end up with more bottom time than the scuba divers by which we're invided! :LOL:

Any more experiments anybody? :D

Kars.

Ok, Bevan, here are our findings.

They are manually measured, counting from the wrist, but the numbers were also shown on my cheap HR monitor, accept for those bolow 30 ...

Ok after some warm up dives I found that my sinuses were pretty closed, and they seem to have only tiny holes equilising only very slow.

In static my HR drops to about 40, and when the contractions start (pretty early in my case... ~3 minutes) it goes up to about 60-70, where it seem to fluctuate between 60- 80. Need to do some more experiments, and a real max (just befor LMC).

Back to the 10m deep dive tower sunday.
I've dived several times with a breath out before going down to -5m. It was pretty hard to breath the same amout out every dive.
And my 'passive' breath out seems to be more of a active breathout. Maybe I can discribe both best as followed.
1passive out and 2 easy full out
In the first I found that my HR goes from a ~ 70/80 standing on the surface to a 40 at 5m depth, where I've still some air left to clear with valsava from the lungs.
When doing the easy full out, I can only compensate fronm the lungs to a depth of 2m, after that I only have the full mouth. I'm still learning the technique... at -5 I sit down an Rik measures the HR, and compares to the HR monitor. There wasn't much to compare, the monitor declaired me dead.. 0.. Rik measured 6 beats in 15 sec, 24BPM. really low. I heart Mine heartbeat at fist, but lost it, but I could hear Rik's instead ;)

Anyway we need more practice, and want to go there more. I hope I can discover more, and learn to do BTV. The no hands equalisation is comming, but the mouthfull is still difficult as I swallow the air to much.

We've had a nice training day, and we've done al sorts of practicing, schot photo's, rescuetraining, no fins, duckdives etc.

Ciao!

Kars

206 - 16

Hello..

Sitting here... 72
Laying down, relaxing 50 - 52
Puls in the morning, just woke up 44 - 46

Max puls, 206 (one week ago in a lab)
Lowest 16 (free imerssion 42m in 3.15)

Age, 37
188 cm
83 kg

It's not about age, it's about how fit you are...
...and motivation of course.

Bill Stromberg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT