• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Resting pulse, not asleep...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is your average resting pulse?

• 80+

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 70-80

• 60-70

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • 50-60

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • 40-50

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Less than 40BPM

• Total voters
My HR is very high compared to everyone else's -

Resting 78
Max 182
Lowest measured during static 65

Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I have low blood pressure?

Lucia

Sitting here right now - 78. I think I have low bp (I'm skinny - are those synonymous?).

This weekend I was diving and while I was floating/snorkeling on the surface during my breathup, I was trying as hard as possible to relax and breathe slowly. I was wearing my new good suit so I wasn't cold in the least. But when I checked my pulse (manually), I got close to 120bpm! :( Is this bad? My constant weight dives (to 50-60ft) are in the 1:00-1:20 range now, and I'd love to get them longer. I wonder if that pulse is inhibiting me? I haven't tried measuring it on the bottom yet.

hmm to me seems like pretty high pulse before a dive, 120 bpm.
But i guess that the thing is if just after duck diving your pulse
goes down. Maybe your breathup technique needs more exhalation vs inhalation time?
My pulse before diving is like 90 bpm or so. Never measured at the bottom, but feels like 50-60. Good botton time, BTW, I'm still struggling to get to 1:00 min dives :)

Cheers!

Maybe having low bp does have something to do with having a high resting pulse. This could be because if the heart beats less strongly than normal, the pulse rate has to be higher to make up for this.

Low bp might be an advantage in freediving, at least for static but probably for other disciplines too, because the heart is not using much oxygen (working less hard to keep the bp up). However, it might be a factor in blackouts, so it is possibly not always a good thing.

I think low bp could be a disadvantage in other sports (not apnea) because I find it very difficult to do any sustained effort - the CO2 can't be cleared fast enough and I get exhausted very quickly.

Just a few ideas

Lucia

Hi, I have both a low resting pulse (in the 40's) and s litle low blood presure (110/50, not much). I think It's adaptation to aerobic training and not much beneficial to freediving I think.
If I ventilate a *little* stronger than usual, I get light headed instantly due to the CO2 cerebral artery constriction and not high BP. In the other hand, my static HR sometimes can go down to even 38 bpm, which must be beneficial.

Just another few ideas :D

I'll try to find Eric's post explaining the detrimental parts of aerobic training for freediving. It includes the low BP thing.

I forgot. Statistically females have a higher pulse rate (between 70-80) and lower BP

Then maybe aerobic training is not a good idea for me. That's good news!!! :D

I can usually hyperventilate as much as I want without any problems, and the same goes for packing, so having low blood pressure doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Lucia

wow, you guys have awesome bpm.

you're gonna thing i'm crazy but my AVG bmp when resting (watching tv, in church, whatever) is 104. i'm not overweight, in fact i'm very much in shape - 6'0" 185 lbs with muscular build. something is wrong with me i know, but i don't have the money to go to the doc.

when i start to get excited (thinking) about something like a test or something i have to do my bpm run in the 120's pretty steady.

i checked my heart rate after some nice relaxing diving the other day on the way back home and it was just 98, the lowest i've measured in a year.

think i'm gonna die anytime soon?

HI Gang,

I've been called back into service by a Birthday Greeting. :):):)
And the fact that the pool isn't available today.
I just decided to check my resting pulse this morning, right after waking up. Counted twice, one minute each. 50 both times.
I don't normally even think of my pulse...so this morning? Imagine that! :)
Water Rat

My resting puls is slightly higher than 60bpm. About two years ago when I experimented with hrmonitor I noticed that I seemed to have a minimal hr of 43bpm that I reached a while into the struggle phase...
Another interesting thing a few days ago after doing some negative packing I noticed my pulse went down to 54bpm...

/Ulf

Hi DBS, don't be scared.

Try to improve on your stamina, it will train your heart too, and it becomes more efficient, and stronger and in the long run also bigger. As the capacity of this bloodpump rises, your pulsrate drops.

Eat a bit healthier, and less (if you think you eat too much) drink more water.
For someone your posture it's probably better to cycle or swim instead of running, becaus this way you won't wear your joints (feed, enkles, knees, hips, back etc.)

Start out slowly and progress slowly, as a body needs time to addapt. A common mistake is to 'build up' to fast. Resting days are the days where recover, the night/day after that your body builds the extra's.

Happy training and freediving!

Kars.

Yep, Old Buddy, Kars....

I wanted another 180 in Dynamic last Friday, but the Bod and Common Sense said, NO. So, I settled on a 4th 150--feet...not meters, for those who don't know me! It was just me Pride what wanted a 120, a 150, and a 180, back to back--with only short breaks in between--LOL! With God lovin' me unconditionally--I DON'T NEED TO IMPRESS 'EM WITH MY *LUNG CAPACITY* :)
Water Rat, who has no clock to time WET Statics--the one at the Y is broken. :(

What happens to total peripherial resistance in a dive when your heart rate decreases? I suppose in theory it would increase to prevent an incidence.

I think the peripheral blood vessels constrict as part of the diving reflex - this would increase resistance.

Lucia

Hiii
from newbie,

ex-spearos comeback after a decade of pro triathlon training. I'm just back into freediving after a series of running injuries.

My 0.2cents... Just plain facts:

Bedtime (measured with P XTrainer plus): 35
After waking up, laying in bed: 38 bpm
Sitting and typing: -46

Max HR (tested running; the highest of three disciplines): 199
Anaerobic Threshold (running): 183
(biking): 176
(swimming): 170
Static apnea easy phase pulse (up to 3' of 5'+max): 40 bpm
First week of apnea training (haven't done it before). We just did a lot of "aspeto"! :p

29 y, 1.85m, 75 kg, lc. 7.5l

I feel that low resting/sleeping heart rate is caused just by a huge amount of aerobic training; which doesn't necessarly translate to a high anaerobic performance.

Sash

3' easy phase?
5'+ max?
Both after only 1 week of apnea training???!?

Let's wait and see your improvements after 1 year :D

Good luck with the training, you already have a huge base

3' easy phase - very easy phase, relaxed, no contractions - no hiperventilation, no packing...
5:03 first attempt, 5:14 a second one and these after O2 tables.

NO APNEA training (after 3 months of rest phase after a tibial bone spiral fracture - excesive VO2 max intervals after a hard swimm workout)...

'll begin with swimm and apnea dynamics in september. Not sure how I'll design my training regiment yet, but 'll make it...

Thanks for all the good wishes,
Sash

Wow!!
I took two years to get up to 6+. NO formal training--NO regular training....NO knowledge of freediving as an Official Sport. I learned to hyperventilate in a science lab in high school--so that's how I thought you were supposed to do it!
Now, I'm relearning--most of my numbers are 1s, 2s, 3s, a 4, a 6-I tried hyperventilating for the 6--just to see the effect hyperventilating would now have on me.... Sometimes, I can get by with it--sometimes, the Bod rebels--I think it doesn't like the idea of oxygen narcosis.....Never seem to hit the 5 I used to go to sleep and dream about....I've gotten a few hyperventilating 4s, over the years...
BUT--before I end this message--I gotta say I admire anyone who can do a 5--with THAT little preparation...I'm sure it IS bein' in GREAT shape--but I'LL BETCHA GOT GREAT LUNGS!!! I got my original 6+ right after swimming season ended--first time I ever went out for a sport. I was 17. I hadda hyperventilate for BOTH 6s.
BTW--I almost forgot--I have a little confusion about the actual definition of hyperventilation--what is real hyperventilation, and what is just ridding your Bod of extra CO2?? (The science lab said it's 2 solid minutes of hard, fast, deep, breathing)...I got a 1:55 from that--Yuck! Got the 6+ using same method--two years later.
Water Rat--who's a Girl! (Think the best I did with practically no prep was 3:00--Underwater). Just a few quick breaths, and Under! This year.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT