• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rig Diving, Biloxi MS

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Rig,

If u ever need advice on anything about boats...70 foot Catamaran......for a friend ..... just shoot. Remember, engines choice can be a disaster or a long term pleasure. At 70 footer, if u want 25 knots cruising fully loaded, even for the efficient Catamaran, you are looking at at least 800-1000 Hp x 2. Those cost money, lots of it.

Becareful with Catamaran, even at 70 footer, they are not the best hull for very nasty weather compared a deep V mono hull, but their load capacity is ........... FANTASTIC !!! Can't win all.

Anyway have fun at the rig, Rig...:D :D

IYA

Hi Rig ,
Any idea why Cobia are so attracted to rigs ?
Back home we get them mainly on whalesharks . Have two wrecks at about 30 m. I dive regularly , can't say I've seen many Cobia around .
What size do you get ? My best so far is 24 kg. off a whaleshark .
Don't much fancy their meat myself although in S.A. its rated pretty good

Cobia are structure oriented fish. In Florida they follow large rays through the shallows. Here, the rig fields are immense. Cobia migrate from Key West(where they winter) to this area(where they spawn). They migrate structurally...that is they hop from one piece of cover to the next...if whale sharks or large rays are present they tag along. Once they get to the rigs however, they just move from one to the next. I'd bet your wrecks hold cobia its just a matter of when, once you figure that out it should be the same timeframe every year! You probably have two major periods for cob's each year as they pass through. Where are they going to winter and spawn? Their migrations are fairly consistent. Hope ant of this helps.

hi

You guys are so lucky to see cobia thebest fish ive seen was a dog tooth tuna anyaway I planned to go spearing on the weekend I got out there and the vis was less than 1m so i went home I was spewing, hey Rigdvr its winter here now where do you think the Cobia will be would they be on the wrecks that I mentioned earlier.

cheers

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how ar out are the rigs? I live in Biloxi. What are the closest places to spear to the shore. I know you have to go out a ways to get to clear water around here. I would like to get in touch wit you, Rig and get some coordinates from you and mybe a few lessons? I am still aquireing my gear and have questions. Please get in touch.

Let's discuss it in detail:

Let's discuss it in detail:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but how ar out are the rigs? I live in Biloxi. What are the closest places to spear to the shore. I know you have to go out a ways to get to clear water around here. I would like to get in touch wit you, Rig and get some coordinates from you and mybe a few lessons? I am still aquireing my gear and have questions. Please get in touch.

I'm interested as well. Anyone?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT