• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rob Allen Breakaway.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
fuzz said:
... We attach the bungee/rubber band to the end of the shooting line and loop the bungee over the line release. Make sure that the bungee keeps the shooting line tight but not to the point that the stretch of the bungee is maxed out. The float line is then clipped directly to the loop in the shooting line and not to the bungee. This has proved to be a very simple, cheap, and effective setup for both reef and blue water applications."[/i]

That does seem like a simple solution ... but I thought the idea of a breakaway was that the spear breaks away from the gun when a big fish pulls hard, rather than every time you pull the trigger. [I guess as long as most shots hit a big fish the net result is the same.]

Shane
i made a setup to my 110 picasso and my home made 140 gun it is really working very well. No need drill.
I got information the link sent by miles.
I made a 10cm/10mm latex. I used 2mm/40cm rope. i attached my float line to this small brakaway. When i shoot ,the gun stay in my hand, spaear leave the gun. Sorry , I have not got photo machine. I can't take a photo. The link below will tell you more. i hope this can help you
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63098"]Breakaway[/ame]

Last edited:
The breakaway rig Fuzz describes is the classic hawaiian system, the easiest one can have. Some say that its only drawback is that it deploys at every shot. Systems like Riffe's, Alexander's, Wong's, Merlo's etc, and Rob Allen's (which Shadowkiller's is a generic look-alike) have the advantage of not necessarily deploying if the fish doesn't run.

But you can't beat the Hawaiian breakaway simplicity. I was once spearing in Panama for wahoos with a Riffe breakaway. To make a long story short, I had to cut a chafed shooting line but crimped too short. No sweat, I got a piece of tire air tube (which I always carry in my dive bag) made a loop and, voilà, a Hawaiian breakaway. I used that for two more years.

Ted
Rio

Reactions: Mr. X
shaneshac said:
Thanks man. THats what I will do. I don't do a lot of cave fishing anyway so I'm sweet.

yes keep it simple, us ballies been shooting fish without all this new stuff for ages!!!shaman.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT