• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Rocket monofin?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Kars post isn't good enough for me and others in my position because i don't have the chance to test fins because everyone i know with a monofin have to small footpockets and no one has a rocketfin or a tropol or what ever just glide glide glide all the way to the moon. So i just wanted the sort of reply that DD gave me and i've recived a mail from rocketfin after 3 days of waiting and they didn't ask me for some specs.

I'm just waiting for a similar or better post than DDanes from the other ?two? who have an or are waiting for a rocketfin.

If it helps, when I buy shoes i'm a euro size 43. When I buy monofins I ask for size 43/44 and they are very tight but not too tight that I can't wear them (ie. approx 20-40min in pool, approx 1 hour in open water before too painful).

I've had 3 brands of "Andronov" style hyperfins now - Kershkov, Hyperfin and Rocketfin, and all have been a 44 and all have fit my foot roughly the same.

My advice - go for one size bigger than your shoe size.

Cheers,
Ben

If it helps, when I buy shoes i'm a euro size 43. When I buy monofins I ask for size 43/44 and they are very tight but not too tight that I can't wear them (ie. approx 20-40min in pool, approx 1 hour in open water before too painful).

I've had 3 brands of "Andronov" style hyperfins now - Kershkov, Hyperfin and Rocketfin, and all have been a 44 and all have fit my foot roughly the same.

My advice - go for one size bigger than your shoe size.

Cheers,
Ben

Thank you, and what other specifications did you make in your rocketfin order?

I asked for a medium stiffness (probably should have asked for soft), size 44 footpocket, yellow blade and 30 degree angle. And blue.

Dear Polish Power,

I understand and appreciate you cannot wait for much longer, especially seeing all these friends swimming with nice fins around you. Al these fins may be too small for you, but that does not have to block you from trying out things like the blade angle, the blade stiffness and build quality, and yes even the 'size precision averages' (are they fitting their ordered sizes? - did the guy wearing 43, ordering 43 get a 43?).

When I was at WC in Egypt a couple of years ago, I was with many divers testing out each others fins of different sizes, types, brands etc. I wear Euro 45 shoes, have flat feet. But I succeeded with some soap fitting into many fins, even a girls' 41 size footpocket! Granted I could not endure this for long, and just swam with it for say a 100m, BUT I could get a feel for the fin.

Another point I feel I need to make is that in order to give you any useful, meaningful and practical advice I need some basic data from you.

Starting with your physical build, height, strength, muscle type.
Than type of use.
And there are loads of factors going into choosing your fin manufacturer.

To cut it all short, before I can give you any practical advice I NEED information.
I won't give you just a hollow blessing to a gamble in fin buying. - I don't like gambling.
I hope you can appreciate my point of view here.

To Benny,

Did you mean HyperfinS.ru ?

Well I'm a bit careful about naming, people tend to get easily confused and jump quickly to conclusions.

To put it down once more:
Type of monofin: Andronov = hyperfin
A particular brand from Russia: Hyperfins. (take note of the S !)

Benny your case seems odd to me. At the time when I got my HyperfinS, about three years ago, I learned from first hand reports from many this company made their footpockets at least 1 size too big. That's why I was happy the rep. measured my feet at 3 places and hoped this would ensure a proper fit. On the second try the length of the footpocket was ok, but still the arch was WAY to spacious. So I took the knife to it..
I don't know if they still make their fins too large, but apart form very nice round blade action the waiting for delivery can also be a test of patience; in my case 8 months. The advice at the time was, when you see one try it, when it fits buy it (if you can).
I hope all this has improved, I know at least their price went up!

Appreciate it kars :)

I can write down some info about me then:
Height: 185cm
Weight: 88kg
Footsize: 300mm, I have shoe sizes from 45-47 depending on the construction of the shoe
Usual physical activity I practise other than freediving: Football(soccer), running, strenght training with bodyweight, mountainbike rides.
I have a good overall physique not elite but better than average.
If my "monofin muscles" are strong or not i don't know.
I always try to swim with a good monofin technique with my bifins(cressi gara 3k LD)
I you need more ask!

Cheersss

Ok guys can't wait anymore! :head
Need some professional advice from you guys who have or will have an rocketfin on how to order from rocketfins because i've never order something like a monofin before...

Polishpower, to be honest (and this is according to Martin Stepanek) buying any hyperfin as first fin is bad decision.
Here's what he says about Glide which is close to Rocketfin

Monofin Glide

The pinnacle of monofin design - Balanced non-axial fin with comfortable footpockets for intermediate or experience freedivers. "With a bad technique, this fin will still improve your performance but will reinforce bad habits, with a good technique, it will take your freediving to the whole new level." Martin Stepanek

and here's about the one You should be trying first

Monofin Classic Model 1

Ideal training and depth competition fin for experienced and intermediate freedivers.' Must have' for beginners to develop proper technique. Hand tapered blade, 3mm* neoprene on upper part of the footpocket, 70cm wide blade.

F.I.I. Freediving Instructors International - from the beginner to the instructor

I am not trying to shift You to his storefront just because I took his class. But You have to admit he's one of the nicest moving freedivers with monofin experience since childhood. So taking his advice simply makes a lot of sense
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks on the advice but i have my no angel stereofins or smaller rubberfins for technique training and need a fin with angle.

Heh, I reckon a MD1 will reinforce bad technique more than a hyperfin will. No angle, so you're forced to bend your knees.

Reactions: derelictp
I always wondered about that statement - but then if you do focus on not bending your knees it forces more action in the back and hips. (kinda like learning guitar on one with really high strings)

I remember when I started to get some decent technique with my Waterway Nemo (11 degrees) - it was like a new fin!

From what I'm reading it sounds like PP wants to get right into dynamics though.

I sure wouldn't get a rocketfin as a first recreational fin.

I received my 'Dive Rocketfin' today. It arrived at my door 18-19 days after I sent the payment via Western Union.

I have not tried it in the water. Initial impressions:

1. Good packing for transport. Fin arrived in mint condition. (I ordered a monofin bag as well)

2. Excellent construction

3. The footpocket fits exactly as tight as I want it to with bare feet -- I ordered this fin for performance/deep diving, so I did not expect to use socks. I still need to use soap to get my feet in, but that is how it should be.

4. Blade angle seems pretty close to what I asked for; I asked for 23-26 degrees. I will check more accurately later.

5. Blade stiffness seems to be what I asked for (800-1500m). I will double check in the water.

Overall I'm very excited to try it. The total cost for the fin, bag, shipping, and Western Union fees was $800.

I received my 'Dive Rocketfin' today. It arrived at my door 18-19 days after I sent the payment via Western Union.

I have not tried it in the water. Initial impressions:

1. Good packing for transport. Fin arrived in mint condition. (I ordered a monofin bag as well)

2. Excellent construction

3. The footpocket fits exactly as tight as I want it to with bare feet -- I ordered this fin for performance/deep diving, so I did not expect to use socks. I still need to use soap to get my feet in, but that is how it should be.

4. Blade angle seems pretty close to what I asked for; I asked for 23-26 degrees. I will check more accurately later.

5. Blade stiffness seems to be what I asked for (800-1500m). I will double check in the water.

Overall I'm very excited to try it. The total cost for the fin, bag, shipping, and Western Union fees was $800.

Hello Eric. Thanks for You post here. Hope You will not appologize for money You spent. And the monofin You get will helps You to make Your goals!
With best regard

Hi all,

So I tried out my new rocketfin in the ocean on the weekend.

The blade is the correct stiffness and I like the flex. The footpocket fits with bare feet. It was reasonably comfortable for about 10-15 minutes. By 20 minutes, it was hurting. By 30-35 minutes I needed to take it off. However, I was not looking for a comfortable fin-- I wanted a fin with good power transfer, and of the andronov style fins, the rocketfin (so far) seems to have the best power transfer to the fin-- the footpocket does not flex much at all, unlike the Glide fin, where the footpocket flexes immensely.

The only real problem with the fin was the angle. I asked for a blade angle of 23-26 degrees. It seems more like 15 degrees. It has the same angle as the chen-bin and Leaderfins Flyer. I can't get the blade to be in line with my body by pointing my toes-- I have to bend my knees to get it in line with my body. The insufficient angle also means that the front stroke is very strong and the back stroke is quite weak.

So, I would summarize my rocketfin:

Good points:
- Excellent construction
- Incredible blade, laminated on both sides
- Good flex, correct stiffness
- Low drag
- Correct size footpocket
- Very good power transfer to the fin

Drawbacks:
- Too little angle
- Only comfortable for 10-15 minutes (maybe more with training)

Hi everyone

I just want to share my personal experience with YAKOVLEV monofins and YAKOVLEV himself

First of all I want to let you know that I am really not used to doing things like that but I realised, as a freediver, that it is very hard to find the right monofin and that sharing my experience can help others

Finding the right monofin can be a real quest for the holy grail

You realise it is hard to get feedbacks and and most of the time you end up buying the same monofin as everyone because you don't want to take a risk ....the risk of not getting the right monofin or not receiving it at all when you buy it from abroad

A far as I am concerned, I didn't want to do like everyone and thought that amongst all the monofin manufacturers, there must be some very competent ones able to manufacture the right monofin for you ...

After going through internet, talking to fellow freedivers and exchanging with several monofin manufacturers I decided I would give a chance to YAKOVLEV

I ordered a monofin from him few month ago after he convinced me that he would do exactly what I want..

Of course, It was supposed to be a made to measure monofin.

Everything was fine and YAKOVLEV was very kind until I received the monofin

Unfortunately, the footpockets were way too big and the quality of the rubber so awful that some parts were already falling apart

Mistakes happen especially with made to measure items but unfortunately, YAKOVLEV refused to admit he made a huge mistake

I realised this is probably why YAKOVLEV keeps posting photos of monofins on facebook said to be made with new rubber... I guess the rubber he used for mine was the old and defective one

Because i was not satisfied at all with the monofin... I could not take the risk of an exchange that would have cost more money and time with no guarantee that i would be satisfied ...

After receiving some evidence of his mistake, he said he would reimburse me....... but never did

It has been few month now and he does not reply to my emails and texts

YAKOVLEV totally vanished

I am not sure I will ever get my money back

However I want to make sure people know what they can expect from YAKOVLEV as I am sure they don't want to go through this

I would have liked to be informed YAKOVLEV could act this way so that I take my decision according to it

I have nothing to say about the blade (in this respect he complied with the terms of our agreement) but obviously you cannot swim with a monofin which is a size 40 when you have ordered a 37.5....

As a result I had to order a new monofin from someone else

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT