• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Roller Gun Power Boost

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Here's the non-pulley inverted set-up.View attachment 41950 View attachment 41951 View attachment 41952 View attachment 41953 Maintained the clear sighting picture with no bands obscuring view, whilst maintaining 1:1 pull on the bands and exact same band length as the normal roller setup.
Will pool test tomorrow.

Nicko, I'm confused. You some some photos with rollers on front and then ones with both front and another pair near the handle. Which way did you go and what were the results? Did you get the power you were looking for? Also, how did you run it without the blocks?

Okay guys,

Bad news. I went to the pool today and the rollergun was absolute trash. I did everything everyone said and when fired, it was about 6-7inches low on the target.

At first I thought it might be the shooting line interfering with the shot, because the line attachment is in the back of the spear. So I cut of the line and shot the spear with no shooting line, and the same thing happened. WAYY LOW

I didn't measure exactly how far from the target I was, but it was about 15ft or a little less.

I used the 18mm bands with no pretension and then with about 20cm of pretension (probably more).

I have no clue what's wrong. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going on vacation on Tuesday and I NEED this thing to shoot properly
hi gregaz
This reply maybe a bit belated but I have a few suggestions that may help your problem.
1. If you are using mini sharkfins they tend to protrude back over the bridle so that when the bridle is lifted by the bridle catcher it also lifts the spear at the back. high profile sharkfins do not have such a pronounced lip.
2. I have notice that commercially produced rollerheads have a gradual incline at the point where the bridle hits the bridle catcher this also lifts the rear of the shaft causing low shots. On my gun my bridle hits a bump on the bridle catcher which slows the the bridle and allows the sharkfin to clear the bridle(see pic below). Your idea about the pins stopping the bridle may have the same effect. With my gun I had to get used to the spear not dropping after years of allowing for spear drop with my previous less powerful guns. I found I was shooting a fraction high.
my rollerhead.jpg

3. I also set my roller axle below the centre of the stock of the gun which pulls the spear down into the track. but this is something that can't be changed on a shop bought rollerhead.
I hope this helps with your low shooting problem.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT