• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Root Canal Therapy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Shadowkiller

Digital Hunter
Jul 30, 2002
I'm starting "treatment" tommorow to fix a tooth gone rotten underneath an old filling.

Anyone have any idea how long, or if, I should avoid diving? What depths I should avoid etc?

My dentist only had a blank look for me when I asked what the deal was with diving... He didn't believe me when I said 10m was a fairly normal dive.

What depths I should avoid etc?
I'd say 10m should be fine, but avoid 5m.;)

Really, as long as he doesn't leave any air pockets, which he shouldn't anyway, you won't get tooth squeeze. So I wouldn't think there would be a problem after the meds wear off and your comfortable with it.:)

hi

Shadow I had root canal treatment about 3 months ago it was cos I was getting teeth squeeze when diving. I had it done and I must say its better than it was but sometimes I still get damn teeth squeeze :(

I went scuba diving the next day so I dont know if theres much difference to scuba maybe cos you ascend quicker it may cos probs but I think not.

cheers

I have had them and still was diving in a day or two. No problems afterwards.

I was fortunate enough to certify my dentist about 10 years ago. She went on to become part of the diving dentists society. I have since moved to a new city, but still drive the 70 miles to go back to see her. She understands the problems with air pockets in the teeth while diving- the main problems that I am aware of come from air pockets.

Where's Aquilies on this topic?? Isn't he some kind of a tooth doctor??;)

I had a root canal over a year ago. The abcess I had was so bad that the infection actually traveled into my sinuses and caused my nose and eyes to swell considerably.

Since then, when I have a long day freediving, my tooth will ache. My dentist and I have come to the conclusion that the aching is not due to tooth squeeze, but from equalizing. He thinks that there is likely a small passage from my tooth to my sinuses (that's why my nose swelled up) and every time I equalize I'm putting pressure on the tooth from the inside.

Jason Billows
Ottawa, Canada

Thanks Jason... Here come the nightmares...;)

Just got back from the "filing out of nerve stuff" part of the procedure... Some swelling, some pain but not too bad.

I guess the test will be this weekends diving..:hmm

Well, I only managed 33ft today after work, the ocean floor prevented deeper diving! :D

No probs so far! Definitely no air bubbles in the canal fillings.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT