• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar darkside piston.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

John M Orcsi

Apr 9, 2015
Hi all need some help. I have a darkside 85 with a broken piston. I live on the east coast usa and its really hard to get salvimar parts shipped. They wont ship to usa for some reason. I dive murky waters and love this gun for the power. Takes down big fish! But i about had it trying to get parts, shafts ect. I'd be willing to use a different system. Stc tomba ect. Or just a different brand piston.But i dont wanna order things that dont fit. Any help from the pneumatic experts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all need some help. I have a darkside 85 with a broken piston. I live on the east coast usa and its really hard to get salvimar parts shipped. They wont ship to usa for some reason. I dive murky waters and love this gun for the power. Takes down big fish! But i about had it trying to get parts, shafts ect. I'd be willing to use a different system. Stc tomba ect. Or just a different brand piston.But i dont wanna order things that dont fit. Any help from the pneumatic experts would be greatly appreciated.

If you can not by good quality stainless steel shaft than it would be better to use your spearguns water barrel - without any vacuum kit.
Just try to buy some good line slide like Salvimar Grivory, or STC x-shot, or Devoto.

Did you contact salvimar in Italy? They reply within a few days. Or the distributor.

I ordered stuff from subprof . Took a month to have items delivered to NY from Spain, but everything was perfect. They have many spare parts too.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

PS where are you on the east coast? Stores in Europe for sure stock shafts and parts. Some stores do not ship some brands to the USA, but subprof does. You place the order and they usually ship after 3 / 4 weeks as they receive the items from the manufacturers, once shipped it takes 3/ 4 days. Another friend in NYC ordered floats, speargun from 5hem. Shafts are around 10 dollars. Floats are way cheaper than in the USA. So are masks ( got sporasub mystic for $23). If you order multiple items you will save a lot even if shipping can be 20 to 40 dollars combined.
I bought a salvimar predator 65 (eBay), and from subprof a salvimar intruder pro (short band gun with metal mech for travel ) and a salvimar vintair 85 (in case I go for larger fish). Prices were half than in the USA.

PS where are you on the east coast? Stores in Europe for sure stock shafts and parts. Some stores do not ship some brands to the USA, but subprof does. You place the order and they usually ship after 3 / 4 weeks as they receive the items from the manufacturers, once shipped it takes 3/ 4 days. Another friend in NYC ordered floats, speargun from 5hem. Shafts are around 10 dollars. Floats are way cheaper than in the USA. So are masks ( got sporasub mystic for $23). If you order multiple items you will save a lot even if shipping can be 20 to 40 dollars combined.
I bought a salvimar predator 65 (eBay), and from subprof a salvimar intruder pro (short band gun with metal mech for travel ) and a salvimar vintair 85 (in case I go for larger fish). Prices were half than in the USA.

Stefpix i live in south jersey. Most places i find the parts say they cant ship salvimar parts to united states. Anyway i took care of it. I ordered a stc xpower 2.0 kit to try out. And the xshot piston. Hope to get it together before my season starts.

If you can not by good quality stainless steel shaft than it would be better to use your spearguns water barrel - without any vacuum kit.
Just try to buy some good line slide like Salvimar Grivory, or STC x-shot, or Devoto.
Thank you.

Shoot, didn't see you already ordered. Been on small islands in Indonesia and not online much. I was meaning to say you should just put a Mares Sten 13mm piston in there. They are not as fancy of course but they break way less often. I hate to bear bad news but I have two broken STC pistons in my scrap box now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Shoot, didn't see you already ordered. Been on small islands in Indonesia and not online much. I was meaning to say you should just put a Mares Sten 13mm piston in there. They are not as fancy of course but they break way less often. I hate to bear bad news but I have two broken STC pistons in my scrap box now...

Thanks for heads up. I could always get a couple sten pistons for back up. Those are pretty available.

Yeah, would think they are easier to get. Affordable, too. My STC pistons were from a few years back. One broke in one of my Mirages at 28bar, I think. But the other broke in a traditional Seac running app. 18bar which was disappointing. Perhaps they are sturdier now. It's supposedly very difficult to break the Mares pistons. I do have a little bit of experience with them: my small Sten has worked at about 20 bar without issue. And back when the STC piston in the Mirage broke I did change it for a Mares and kept shooting at 28bar (maybe even up to 33bar)!for a few weeks without problems (except busting the o-rings in the Vuoto muzzle).

Last edited:
Reactions: marcelo cunha
The 10 usd shafts mentioned above might be galvanized? Those are the type that airguns used to ship with and will eventually pit. Not good when using an vac muzzle as Tomi points out. But you can get sigalsub shafts on Scubastore which is a sort of Walmart. I do shop with them from time to time but don't ever trust their shipping time estimates. I'd much rather point you towards Edosub.it who is an expert and great "real" shop with competitive prices though I don't know if he can ship to US at ok prices. He's supposed on Facebook, too and replies pretty fast.

For shafts, if you happen to know a guy with a lathe nearby you can always just cut down a regular bandgun shaft and thread the tail end for M6x1. Just stay away from carbon steel shafts like the Rob Allen ones. Though tough, they'll pit a bit, too.
This way, you actually have a much wider selection available to you.

The 10 usd shafts mentioned above might be galvanized? Those are the type that airguns used to ship with and will eventually pit. Not good when using an vac muzzle as Tomi points out. But you can get sigalsub shafts on Scubastore which is a sort of Walmart. I do shop with them from time to time but don't ever trust their shipping time estimates. I'd much rather point you towards Edosub.it who is an expert and great "real" shop with competitive prices though I don't know if he can ship to US at ok prices. He's supposed on Facebook, too and replies pretty fast.

For shafts, if you happen to know a guy with a lathe nearby you can always just cut down a regular bandgun shaft and thread the tail end for M6x1. Just stay away from carbon steel shafts like the Rob Allen ones. Though tough, they'll pit a bit, too.
This way, you actually have a much wider selection available to you.

I got 3 sigalsub shafts. Waiting on stc kit. How much oil do i put back in a 85? I cleaned inner barrel out. I also made custom grips and a better gopro mount. Thanks.
20180304_120954.jpg

I did cut down a band gun shaft and thread it on a salvimar tortion 2 shaft. I bent it pretty good last season. These sigalsub shafts are very nice. Got them shipped to new jersey in 4 days from scubastore. I really like the ghost shaft. Its similar to the tortion2 shaft wich i loved. Goes through thick fish like butter with small gun. Ghost shaft looks even nicer. Some of the striped bass over here are a foot thick. Excited to try the ghost shaft.
20170723_182811.png

The ghost shaft is a bad idea on pneumatics: as there is no barb, your shaft can go through the sliders.

Moreover, the spring barb tends to rust :-/

By the way: great bass !!! il would love to have somme stripped bass in France. Unfortunately, we just have the smaller cousins :-(

The ghost shaft is a bad idea on pneumatics: as there is no barb, your shaft can go through the sliders.

Moreover, the spring barb tends to rust :-/

By the way: great bass !!! il would love to have somme stripped bass in France. Unfortunately, we just have the smaller cousins :-(
Hmmm. A band gun would have a slider also right? Its a pneumatic ghost shaft. Never had problem with tortion 2 shaft but the tip was a little larger then shaft. I didnt think of that though. Good advice. Im trying it anyway :) . The other 2 shafts i got are standard single flopper if ghost isnt working out. I need to try it though.

I would thinl the o ring would prevent slider from comeing off. Maybe not with pulling force in that direction. See whst i come up with.

The torsion 2 shaft has a tiny "pre-barb" on the bigger cylindrical barb if I recall correctly. So that should take care of the slider issue easily. I haven't seen a Ghost shaft in person yet so I don't know how that would work. I did have a Torsion shaft on my One Air at one point but didn't like it as the o-ring would always end up way down on the shooting line after a shot and without the o-ring, the flopper wouldn't stay closed. How did you solve that?

[EDIT] Come to think about it, my One Air uses a free shaft/nude shaft without slider so on a regular shaft with a slider the o-ring should stay in front of the slider, right? I might have to give that Torsion shaft a second chance on a long Mirage with slider...

Last edited:
As for the oil I think it's around 30-50ml? You can google "asso pdf" or "asso manual" as there's a manual for that gun online somewhere. It'll have a table for this. The internal volume of these guns are pretty much the same so just go by an Asso of the same size. I think Jegwan and others might have posted the table on this forum, too

Last edited:
The torsion 2 shaft has a tiny "pre-barb" on the bigger cylindrical barb if I recall correctly. So that should take care of the slider issue easily. I haven't seen a Ghost shaft in person yet so I don't know how that would work. I did have a Torsion shaft on my One Air at one point but didn't like it as the o-ring would always end up way down on the shooting line after a shot and without the o-ring, the flopper wouldn't stay closed. How did you solve that?

Yes the tortion shaft when fired even a miss the o ring would slide down shaft. However i think the flopper stays closed. I never had anything other then a perfect round small hole in fish. If it hit a fish open you would be able to tell in my opinion. The ghost shaft is the same diameter entire lenghth. I didnt think of the slider. If the o ring doesnt keep it on maybe i will slightly bend tip of barb out a hair. We shall see when i get everything back together.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
The tortion o ring never ended up on line for me. But im not shootong a big gun. Sometimes i have to hold my 85 behind me to shoot because i cant see end of gun lol. Bad vis here. Sometimes 2 ft.

Reactions: Diving Gecko
The tortion o ring never ended up on line for me. But im not shootong a big gun. Sometimes i have to hold my 85 behind me to shoot because i cant see end of gun lol. Bad vis here. Sometimes 2 ft.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT