• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Salvimar darkside piston.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

it's Thierry, a French mate, who bought a ghost shaft and told me that it was a bad idea.

he was happy at first but, quickly changed the shaft because of the issues i told above.

For the Oil, on seac asso, it is recommended to put 35 ml. Personnaly, on my 84 sten i use only 20ml/25ml of hydraulic oil for car power steering. Each year i renew it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 03-07-18 at 11.11 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 03-07-18 at 11.11 AM.PNG
    66.8 KB · Views: 216
Yes the tortion shaft when fired even a miss the o ring would slide down shaft. However i think the flopper stays closed. I never had anything other then a perfect round small hole in fish. If it hit a fish open you would be able to tell in my opinion. The ghost shaft is the same diameter entire lenghth. I didnt think of the slider. If the o ring doesnt keep it on maybe i will slightly bend tip of barb out a hair. We shall see when i get everything back together.

Sorry, I wasn't clear;-). I meant to say that without the o-ring the flopper easily opens while just swimming around. And on a Torsion shaft the flopper doesn't fall back in its closed position by itself once open and would stay open during a shot if it had opened beforehand. So, the o-ring is very important up until the point of firing but when it ended up four meters down the line after a shot it was too much hassle massaging it back up.
But with a slider it's probably fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks fellas. I will report back with my experience after trying shaft. Still got about a month to go before fish move in. Water still cold in 40's.

it's Thierry, a French mate, who bought a ghost shaft and told me that it was a bad idea.

he was happy at first but, quickly changed the shaft because of the issues i told above.

For the Oil, on seac asso, it is recommended to put 35 ml. Personnaly, on my 84 sten i use only 20ml/25ml of hydraulic oil for car power steering. Each year i renew it.

What muzzle/piston is your friend Thierry using? The tail end looks quite a bit like my UBL setups.

What muzzle/piston is your friend Thierry using? The tail end looks quite a bit like my UBL setups.

you re right: he use an ubl muzzle/piston. But i think it's not an ubl slider: it is a pelengas slider with hydroplanting

Same same;-). UBL sliders are hydro breaking, too. And smaller in profile it looks like. I'd be surprised if Dima didn't make these before the Palengas guys who, if I recall correctly, was using a PU damper on the shaft tail just a few years ago. Not that it matters; imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery;-)

Also, sometimes, it can be a bit hard to get parts from UBL on short notice as he is a one man band. So, if the Palengas parts work with UBL tails, it's a good backup option.

What other upgrades can be done with pneumatics? I've had roller muzzles,upgraded trigger mecs on band guns. How about pneumatics? Is there a company that makes nice stainless trigger mecs?

STC actually makes a trigger (or perhaps it's Hunt?). But really don't know if there's any real world improvement over a stock one. You can always polish the sear in your trigger yourself.
One thing I've done on the guns that didn't come with it is to install a 1.5mm, or smaller, trigger pin. The diameter of the trigger can make a big difference in trigger pull.

I've also swapped the alu reservoirs on most of my guns. Though, at the most I've saved 50-100g on that. And in regards to shafts, I have minimal overhang on them. All in an effort to reduce any nose heaviness.

I have swapped the muzzles on my main guns for UBL; they are short and light, the pistons are rock solid and the sliders the smallest I've come across.

Last edited:
Same same;-). UBL sliders are hydro breaking, too. And smaller in profile it looks like. I'd be surprised if Dima didn't make these before the Palengas guys who, if I recall correctly, was using a PU damper on the shaft tail just a few years ago. Not that it matters; imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery;-)

Also, sometimes, it can be a bit hard to get parts from UBL on short notice as he is a one man band. So, if the Palengas parts work with UBL tails, it's a good backup option.

Maybe it's UBL slider. I supposed that was Pelengas because when i'm out of pelengas spare parts i ask him and last time we made a common order (indeed we orddered sliders).

In fact i don't really know the UBL kit: Some people in France know Dima ( Thierry, or Carbozzi), but it's very hard to get UBL Products directly. We have to contact the French reseller (Carbozzi) but not Dima directly. I wanted an UBL kit on my sten Hybrid, but it was too complicated and i had to go with Pelengas kit.

What other upgrades can be done with pneumatics? I've had roller muzzles,upgraded trigger mecs on band guns. How about pneumatics? Is there a company that makes nice stainless trigger mecs?
you can change the aluminium barrel by a stainless barrel (hevier but less friction) and add some holes or enlarge the originals to obtain faster air transfer.
You can change the oil by a hydraulic oil and teflon mix
Some guys add floats to balance the gun (like wings)

In France Carbozzi or ANgel'o prepare pneumatics guns.

Attachments

• Angelo.jpg
    Angelo.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 214
you can change the aluminium barrel by a stainless barrel (hevier but less friction) and add some holes or enlarge the originals to obtain faster air transfer.
You can change the oil by a hydraulic oil and teflon mix
Some guys add floats to balance the gun (like wings)

In France Carbozzi or ANgel'o prepare pneumatics guns.
My outer barrel is carbon fiber. Do you mean inner barrel or outer?

My outer barrel is carbon fiber. Do you mean inner barrel or outer?
Inner barrel.
On the picture u can see inner barrels from Duccio lippolis, an italian Guy

Attachments

• A5521CD8-C267-4708-B383-2635B040C2B1.jpeg
    A5521CD8-C267-4708-B383-2635B040C2B1.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 215
Hey Nico.
Dima speaks highly of stainless steel barrels, too. But I'm curious, do you have any tests or something like that that shows a definitive advantage over alu barrels? We've talked about the friction on other threads in the past but, allegedly, doing a comparison at very slow speeds of piston movement is so close to static friction that it might not give a representative answer. Supposedly, dynamic friction might be much less different between these types of barrels. One way to be sure would be to shoot two identically set up guns and test penetration, I guess. But that's a lot of work.

I've been hesitant for a long time in regards to SS barrels as I really like to keep my guns neutral in buoyancy which becomes difficult with these barrels unless you add wings like Carbozzi. Titanium is another option that I've looked into from time to time and I might give that a go at some point. Though it'll still be heavier than alu, I think.

Btw, Dima's barrels are 12x14mm what about Duccio's?

I didn't make tests myself, but as i 'm interested in pneumatics, i read the tests that Cedric (MIZALO) did. I think you can still read it on the "Spearboy" french forum.

Unfortunately, the French preparers of pneumatics are not very talkative. You can find some videos of SS barrel pneumatics (carbozzi) on youtube. Or you can directly talk to the first Carbozzi creator: Romain Orazzi ( the new one is CHristophe Cattini).

For the Duccio works, i find his Facebook page very interisting: you can check your self at
"Elaborazioni oleopneumatiche AIR GUN'S TECHNOLOGY" ! He makes a lot of ppenumatics products . as an an exemple you can see a muzzle which really looks like the new STC 3.0 muzzles, or inner barrels in aluminium, or other things... Some products ar to my mind very good, other are not!

THe italians are very found of pneumatics so it is interesting to see what they create.

I didn't make tests myself, but as i 'm interested in pneumatics, i read the tests that Cedric (MIZALO) did. I think you can still read it on the "Spearboy" french forum.

Unfortunately, the French preparers of pneumatics are not very talkative. You can find some videos of SS barrel pneumatics (carbozzi) on youtube. Or you can directly talk to the first Carbozzi creator: Romain Orazzi ( the new one is CHristophe Cattini).

For the Duccio works, i find his Facebook page very interisting: you can check your self at
"Elaborazioni oleopneumatiche AIR GUN'S TECHNOLOGY" ! He makes a lot of ppenumatics products . as an an exemple you can see a muzzle which really looks like the new STC 3.0 muzzles, or inner barrels in aluminium, or other things... Some products ar to my mind very good, other are not!

THe italians are very found of pneumatics so it is interesting to see what they create.

Thanks for the tips. I was aware of Carbozzi but the others are new to me. I'll check them out:)

~snip~
I've been hesitant for a long time in regards to SS barrels as I really like to keep my guns neutral in buoyancy which becomes difficult with these barrels unless you add wings like Carbozzi. Titanium is another option that I've looked into from time to time and I might give that a go at some point. Though it'll still be heavier than alu, I think.
Btw, Dima's barrels are 12x14mm what about Duccio's?
I've been intrigued about Titanium inner barrels too... trouble is no-one seems to make a 18.0mm OD 13.0mm ID tube!
I went as far as getting a quote for a custom run, but minimum volumes are a killer:
19pcs x 2464mm Lengths x 18mm OD x 13mm ID x 2.5mm wall CP Grade 2 Seamless Titanium Tubing = US$2,287.60
Could be worth it for a manufacturer, but I'd say volumes would be low.

I've been intrigued about Titanium inner barrels too... trouble is no-one seems to make a 18.0mm OD 13.0mm ID tube!
I went as far as getting a quote for a custom run, but minimum volumes are a killer:
19pcs x 2464mm Lengths x 18mm OD x 13mm ID x 2.5mm wall CP Grade 2 Seamless Titanium Tubing = US$2,287.60
Could be worth it for a manufacturer, but I'd say volumes would be low.

It might not have to be 13mm x 18mm. For me, it would be nice to keep the ID at 13mm for compatibility with my other parts but if it's 12mm or 14mm it could work, too, I'd just need custom pistons. (12mm wouldn't work for a Mirage though as the ratio between the pumping barrel and shooting barrel would be too low but 14mm would be fine). Likewise, the OD could be 14-16mm. It could then be sleeved to fit a traditional handle and nose cone. That's actually how UBL/Dima does it with the 12x14mm SS barrels. 13 x 18mm would be too heavy, too. Unless you reduce the OD except for the ends. That could be a viable solution.
But not sticking to the traditional 13 x 18mm does open up more options, possibly even going with US sizes. There are some online resellers that have options in ID 12.7mm if I recall correctly though I can't remember the shop names.

I'll keep looking into this and will likely stumble upon a Chinese TI tube some day. Alternatively, for the SS ones look into BA (bright annealed?) tubes which I think are the highest polished ones or perhaps second highest.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT