• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sardinia spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
weights: piombi da cintura (literally: leads for belt), or simply piombi (leads), or zavorra (ballast), or better zavorra da cintura (ballast for belt).
The common term is piombi, but how can I explain to you the correct pronunciation?
It's something like: pee-òm-bee (the accent goes on the "om") dah chin-too-raah (accent on the "too").
pee-om-bee dah chin-too-raah :duh

if they don't understand: leads for divers, piombi per subacquei:
pee-om-bee per soob-àk-way :duh:duh:duh

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonny250
Jonny mate. My wife and I had a great time in and around Alghero a couple of years back. Lovely food, people and clean waters. Not too many fish though in that part. Take a thin suit and IMHO just take some lead, even with the intention of not briginig it back. When ever I have thought to buy or borrow lead on arrival anywhere its been a royal PITA.

Apnea Accadamcy has a operation in the north of Sardinia, you could check them out, maybe there are even some shortish courses on?

have a great trip and please make a nice detailed report ;)

Reactions: Jonny250
Thanks guys, for sure i'll have some pictures and info when i get back...

afterthought: take a float with flag too if you plan to go out anywhere, there are lots of boats in some areas

The float with diveflag is mandatory by law: if the Coast Guard busts you diving without the float, they'll fine you heavily, and possibly confiscate your gun. Bring on the float with diveflag and keep diving within 50 meters from your float. This is the law.

Coooey, last minute dillemma - do i take my 5mm 'normal' spearo wetsuit or drop down to a 3mm surfing suit (without hood) - dont have the room or weight for both :-( (i'm struggling with weight and suitcase room!)
any suggestions, cos i cant decide...? decisions... what are med divers using at this time of year? heeelllllp :) how useless am i having to ask such a numpty question!!!

I suggest 5 mil full suit for this season. The water temp is now 19°C to 20°C (surface temp), probably warmer than up in Guernesy but still not the summertime hot soup. If you plan to stay in for at least 2 or 3 hours a day, you'd shiver with the surfsuit.

Jonny - take a look at the Imray chart M8 for northern Sardinia - might be interesting to - just got one myself for when we are in Costa Paradiso

so, after an incredible week in Sardegna, i can offer a few thoughts:
we had an amazing time, in spite of coming down with a horrendous cold and high temperature on the first day!

we arrived to temperatures of 36 degrees, well above the seasonal average, and sea temperature of 22 degrees!
we flew to alghero, the airport is small and seemed pretty efficient, the hire car booths are right by the exit, easy to find.
We had a good car and i took my GPS with Europe Map, this i find almost essential! and road signs in sardegna are a luxury not to be relied upon...
We were staying at Isola Rossa, which is mid way along the north coast. The journey via porto torres was straight forward.
Isola Rossa is mid way along the cliff-section of the north coast, there are sandy beaches further west and then cliffs most of the way until the end of the costa paradiso.
Isola Rossa is obviously pretty popular with the spearos and we saw several boats with spearos returning to the harbour, also quite a few going staight from the beach. Saw some big fish caught from returning spearos!
Although my diving was extremely limited by my cold, blocked ears etc, i did get in as much as possible... The areas around isola rossa was generally 7-10m but getting much deeper quite quickly. I also dived at Costa Paradiso which was just a stunning place although i wouldnt fancy walking up the hill at the end of a dive! the area i dived was like a boulder ruckle with huge sections and blocks of cliff that have just collapsed into the sea. Out from CP it got very deep very quickly. I guess 25m+ . Further along the coast going west it was more like 10m+. The whole area was full of huge gulleys, holes and overhangs where the boulders/cliffs had fallen.
I also dived on the East coast, well worth the visit, it is protected from any north storms. We drove down to see the Isle Tavolara, which is spectacular, and then dived in the shallower waters around C Coda Cavallo which is in the marine park. (I didnt take a speargun)
The roads on the East coast were much better, even having white lines in most places. The east coast is much busier than the North and Porto Cervo well worth the visit to see how the other half live it up, with all the finest luxury motor yachts!
There is a spearo shop at Santa Teresa, just go all the way into the town and just after you turn left for the Cappo Testa, it's there on the left. Cappo Testa is woth the visit too, but car parking is very limited, which is a great shame for such an interesting place.
We also visited Castelsardo but I couldnt think of anything to reccomend there! ditto for Sassari which is a large sprawling chaotic town.
We were advised to visit Tempio Pausania, which is an inland town not too far from Costa Paradiso/Isola Rossa, but again i am not sure what there was to see there. The trip to Tempo is good with some amazing inland boulder-fields and wind-turbine lined ridges, and we also drove in to see the Lago de Coglinas which is south of Tempio and one heck of a drive through the mountains (cue banjo music).
So that was our tour; we had a fantastic hotel and were upgraded from our original Tomson choice to 5T with full board, it was for sure a holiday of a lifetime!
One word of caution if you are planning to hire a car - we used national/Alamo and cannot reccomend them after our very bad experience. Our car broke down and they would only tow the car away, not providing any assistance to myself and wife and son! Ever tried getting a taxi from the middle of nowhere when you cant speak the lingo?!
The tomson rep proved to be superb when we contacted her and she managed to get me a lift on the tow truck to Sassari where i waited until alamo agreed to provide a replacement car (they weren't going to!). CHECK YOUR CAR HIRE POLICY, because they run things differently in sardegna.
Overall, i would reccomend getting a hire car, but perhaps just for a couple of days if you can get one at your resort (Isola rossa has Avis), but from Costa Paradiso or Isola Rosso i would use a tour operator + transfer (tomson were great). I would also suggest planning to hire a boat to cover the coast better, they are 25Euro (IR) or 30 euro (CP) per hour or about 80Euro for a half-day; plus fuel. The boats are small 4m RIBS with a 40hp o/b engine.
Cant think of anything else that might be of use if you're planning a trip...

Pictures are: Isola Rossa + Costa Paradiso

Last edited:
Pictures below are Costa Paradiso (1,2,4) Capo Testa (3) and south from Santa teresa (5)

Last edited:
Costa Paradiso (1), Isola Rosso (2), Castelsardo (3), Capo Testa (4), ME (5)!

Last edited:
Looks awesome ! Keep meaning to go there but haven't got round to it yet ! One day !
Ed

Yer, it was too hot for me, we kept looking for shade!
i only saw smaller fish, but then as i couldnt dive much i dont suppose i was looking in the right places.

one other thing i meant to say is that many of the spearos who went in from the beach were using sea-scooters; i was surprised to see so many and had the impression it was normal...?

2010:
OK, we've just booked another holiday at the same place in Sardegna! spent ages looking at Corsica but in the end decided that we couldnt find anything quite as good value/quality as Isola Rossa :)
looking forward to the end of may...

Jonny, I am thinking of going back too this summer, probably around July. I am definitely going to check up to see if there are any apnea acadamy freediving courses to be done there (north of the Island). I will be taking a suit this time though ;) I am going to google your Isola Rossa place to check it out.

Nice one azapa :) isola rossa makes for a good base on the north coast as we will hire a car again, we will defo be visiting costa paradiso again and hopefully some of the other bays along that side too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT