• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scaring the airport security staff...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hiya Alison

Welcome aboard!!!! Whats the deal with you being scared of SA waters ?? You've got more to fear from SASpearo :D :D (sorry boet!!!!). The whole shark thing is overated. My gf spears with me and she hasn't seen anything to deter her. If you ever end up in Cape Town, just give us a shout and you're more than welcome to join us.

Promise you'll leave in one piece!!!!:D :D :D

Regards
miles

Might take you up on that if Im ever in cape town then but the chances are slim as we dont have a flight there. I have seen sharks here in the gulf, Reefs and Hamerheads but they seem to leave us alone but then I dont fish in the gulf only the UK. As for the SA spearo! I doubt they'd be interested in me, at 44 I dont quite fit into the usuall Hostie image ( but, Hey you never know your luck :chatup ).

Hiya

I was just joking about SASpearo. Really nice bloke. You are at the right forum though. Loads of great people here and i'm sure they'll be more than happy to take you spearing if you're in their neck of the woods.

Good to see women getting involved in the spearing side of things. Even better when they shoot bigger fish than the guys!!! :D :D . I read your post about the first fish, and thats impressive!!!! I've got mates who've been diving for over two years who haven't yet shot a 8 pound fish :eek: :eek:

Regards
miles

Guess Im lucky where I live when in the UK but I seem to get a couple of big fish every summer when Im there, 12 1/2 lbs is my biggest so far but saying that I often dont catch or see a single fish and 2 years ago I went the whole summer without a fish :head. We have no sharks there of course but I have a pet seal who always wants my catch :rcard then its time to go but he is fun to swim with.

Hiya

Thats a low blow......... :D :D :D :D :D
Was yummy all the same!!!!

Miles

Originally posted by miles
Hiya Alison
The whole shark thing is overated. My gf spears with me and she hasn't seen anything to deter her.

Originally posted by miles

Promise you'll leave in one piece!!!!:D :D :D

miles

Except 4 meter white pass under her feet:head

and i sure she will leave in one piece, coz i heard "buddy knife" doesn't work for foreigners, sharkies over there used to eat locals other than tourists:p :p :p

If a 4 metre white passed unde my feet the smell alone would drive it away!!! :eek:

I take my spearguns in and out of Saudi Arabia twice a year for work and as long as they are in checked bagage and dismantled I have not yet had any problems. been doing this for damn near 12years. the canadain customs seem to have much more interest in them. be honest, be up front. let them know they are in your bags ahead of time. No worries.

To whomever gave me negative Karma, and didn't have the balls to sign it ... up yours buddy. If you don't know what a joke is, and only read one part and decide that someone is a 'sexist @#$^%' then you can go and play with your lonesome self.

Reactions: jensen
Has anyone taken spearguns from the Channel Islands via London to their destination ? (How about you Jersey lads...)

Thinking of taking one on holiday.

Guernsey airport can be tricky with things like that (pens/pencils taken off me in the past .... etc Mind you that was about 2 years ago so things might be better).

Are there any laws stopping you travelling through, say London, with a speargun ? How about dive knives ?

I think there is a law with carrying blades over 3cm long in the UK.

My dive knive is longer than that ! Just want to avoid trouble.

So if anyone has any UK info that would be sweet.
Cheers
Ed

My brother Pekka has had speargun with him on more than just one occasion when flying from london. Ofcourse you cannot bring one as a hand luggage, but if packed right speargun should survive as regular luggage.
Ask Pekka for more information about flying from London with speargun.

Tuomo

Ed I sent you PM about packing your gun.

And for all.. about packing your gun

I found that one of those thick carboard tubes that are inside carpet roll for example is very suitable for putting your gun in and wont cost much either if you take it out os a skip as I did. Just cut a space for you handle and tape the end preventing the gun from falling out and you have excellent gunc case! and durable too... if extra care needed you can always add foam rings that you can slide inside the tube with the gun to keep it in the middle.. Has worked for me..

Pekka

Reactions: Mr. X
i was worrying bout taking my gun to greece tomorow, because of the olympic games.... hope i wont have any problems i use a rod bag and will stuff it with foam to avoid damage!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT