• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Scaring the airport security staff...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey harpune!
Did you figure out where to buy your suit in Crete?
Anyway my advice is if you travel via Heraklion it would be a piece of cake to find a diving store there! There are also at least two in Ierapetra (I've been there 3 years ago but I don't remember the exact location, just that they were down town). Rethimno and Timbaki are also very likely to have diving shops.

Take care!

Hello ppl

Im flying out to Cyprus next week and am making a case for my 120 Totem Tahiti to keep it from breaking in transit.

Problem is this is my first go at woodwork and in my effort to protect my beloved Tahiti ive created a 190cm x20cm x 25cm plywood monstrosity, that although bulletproof am doubtful as to whether Ill be able to check it in.

Do you think it would be inadmissable as baggage? Please advise.

Baur

no i haven`t found a place, i hope my shorty will be enough for greece!!??!!
dive shops are everywhere in greece but i have not seen a single wetsuit on all my travels!!
i hope i`ll find something!!
zhx galadion

Baur :)
Depending on its weight of course it should be just about alowed, I've seen plenty of surfboards being loaded into the holds of aircraft. be prepared to have to pay some serious exess baggage if its a bit on the heavy side. Best thing to do is phone the local office of the airline your flying with and ask as each company have different rules and regs about cargo. Hope it goes well for you though :) and good luck with the case ;)

Harpune mate :D
I think a shorty would do OK in the med as long as your not going spend hours in the water but Ive spent 2 hours in the med in October without a wetsuit when I was younger BRRRR :(

:D:D

Thanks Ali

Youve restored my hopes somewhat in getting my ugly beast of a case through.

Im flying Cyprus Airways and must say that they employ the most unresponsive, rude, and unhelpful people available. The disdain they show to customer queries has led to our clashing before in the past (vandalised their outlet at Heathrow in '96).

Today Id rather pay something extra and keep on smiling.

Baur

Hi,

I've taken my spearguns and freediving gear many times into an Airplane. I usually carry them in a speargun bag wrapped in some bath towels and tape or the wetsuit. Sometimes tying them to each other. I remove the bands, reels and spears. For the spears I bought a long PVC tube. Once one popped out of the bag and ended in a U shape!:duh

I've never had problems with the spearguns being damage. Only with spears and fins (Broken one blade once in a flight). So what I usually do is to remove the blades from the footpockets and take the blades on bord. Sometimes they say I have to check it in with the rest of the stuff, but so far the freighten look and a "No way this to fragile and too expensive" has worked.

I even used to carry my weight belt on bord! But they don't let you do that any more. Anyway I have several weight belts spread around and don't carry weights on flights any more.

Last year I toke a ton of gear to Azores and ended paying quite a bit on extra weight!! I think it was about 30 Kg extra! Probably this year will be even worse. its's close...can't wait!!

Cheers,

IMHO
I have found the best way to carry euroguns is to get a length of PVC drain pipe that will fit our gun length wise cut a slot in one end that will allow the trigger guard to slide into and slide the speargun in.
All that sticks out is the handle and posibly loading butt.
I use this inside a soft case and have never had any problems.
You can also fit several spears inside the pipe if you pack them carefully.
I would also recommend cutting old powerbands into Inch long segments and sticking these over the ends of all spears front and back.
I also cut a smal plug of camping mattress foam and plugged the end of the pipe with it and duct taped the rear of the speargun into the pipe.
Most airlines have an outsize baggage department check your gear in there.

hope this helps

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT