Tuesday, November 13, 2018
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Scuba wetsuit for freediving/spearfishing

Oct 26, 2018
Sydney
Hey guys.

I know scuba wetsuits are very different from freediving/spearfishing wetsuits. But does it really make a huge difference, even for begginers?

I am planning to buy a wetsuit for spearfishing and freediving. I found one in very good conditions (used twice only) for an awesome price. The problem is that I think it is a scuba diving wetsuit. But as I am in a very tight budget, I am feeling very inclined to buy it...

The wetsuit is this one (7mm model):
http://www.waterproof.eu/products/wetsuits/w1/

Some extra info:

I live in Sydney, and even though most people wouldn't use a 7mm here, I am VERY sensitive to cold water. And this has a great impact in my performance... So I think buying a wetsuit that will keep me warm is way more important than getting a flexible one (of course, having both would be ideal, but I haven't find any with my budget).

What do you guys think? Is it ok to use a scuba diving wetsuit if you are just a begginer? What would the main cons be?

Also, has anyone used the W1 Waterproof Wetsuit and have any thoughts on it?

Thanks a lot!

OP
OP
P
Oct 26, 2018
Sydney
So, I did some more research and talked to some people, and apparently I was going to make a big mistaking going for the 7mm scuba suit...

I spent a little more and got a Cressi Apnea freediving/spearfishing suit. It is only 3.5mm, but I've been told open-cell wetsuits are much warmer. I'll try it this week, hope its good!