• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Scuba wetsuit for freediving/spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

prates_bruno

Oct 26, 2018
Hey guys.

I know scuba wetsuits are very different from freediving/spearfishing wetsuits. But does it really make a huge difference, even for begginers?

I am planning to buy a wetsuit for spearfishing and freediving. I found one in very good conditions (used twice only) for an awesome price. The problem is that I think it is a scuba diving wetsuit. But as I am in a very tight budget, I am feeling very inclined to buy it...

The wetsuit is this one (7mm model):
http://www.waterproof.eu/products/wetsuits/w1/

Some extra info:

I live in Sydney, and even though most people wouldn't use a 7mm here, I am VERY sensitive to cold water. And this has a great impact in my performance... So I think buying a wetsuit that will keep me warm is way more important than getting a flexible one (of course, having both would be ideal, but I haven't find any with my budget).

What do you guys think? Is it ok to use a scuba diving wetsuit if you are just a begginer? What would the main cons be?

Also, has anyone used the W1 Waterproof Wetsuit and have any thoughts on it?

Thanks a lot!

So, I did some more research and talked to some people, and apparently I was going to make a big mistaking going for the 7mm scuba suit...

I spent a little more and got a Cressi Apnea freediving/spearfishing suit. It is only 3.5mm, but I've been told open-cell wetsuits are much warmer. I'll try it this week, hope its good!

It would have been fine to use the scuba suit. The time for a freediving wetsuit is when you need a new one. Hope your 3.5 keeps you warm.

I tried it for the first time today. It was perfect... so different from surfing wetsuits. No water got in a all, I was super warm!

Reactions: SubSub
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT