• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Seabass ban next year

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

polspear

Dec 27, 2014
Hi everyone,
I am surprised there is no discussion on the urgent and annoying matter as yet! (or couldn't I just find it?)
So how about that? no bass untill 01 july 2016 and only one fish per day bag limit for the rest of the year :(
I think it sucks!

Seabass is a widely used name to describe all kinds of fish. This is an international forum so could you are more specific?

I am not aware of any new restrictions on white sea bass in California- like the one in my avatar.

Sorry mate, I thought I was writing in UK section... Yes it's about northern European area (UK. N. Ireland and France)

Republic of Ireland has had a 2 fish a day bag limit for a good few years now and I see large Bass most times I head out.

Nothing wrong with a few bans being thrown around in my opinium

yes I totally agree with the reasons for it, I can see bass stocsks are decreasing myself, but realy they should be aiming at different areas of the industry (the discussion is ongoing), ban for netting fishermen who are responsible for overfishing is only 2 months. and how about these bugers:

I truely doubt if reducing fishing for every recreational fisherman by 2 per day is going to make a difference- commercial guys landed 3500 tons of bass last year!

It really doesn't surprise me at all, moves to create a sustainable and healthy stock are good news in my book if they are fair and proportionate and apply across the board. One rule for everyone and all that! :D lets be honest, some in the fishing community don't help the cause, I am used to seeing dead and dumped mackerel and doggies, that is nothing unusual but this year I saw dead and dumped smoothounds.................... I was totally p****d off, just another nail in the coffin of fishing, good stocks and a healthy respect for the natural inhabitants of the ocean.....................:cry: Not good, not good at all!

Somebody pointed out a newspaper article on this over Christmas, otherwise I would have been blissfully unaware of the latest restrictions (which seems token & symbolic targeting recreation anglers/fishers, rather than the commercial fishers who can catch more in a single haul that the entire communities of anglers & spearos could in a several years). By targeting enthusiastic amateurs in this way , they risk loosing the support of those who have the most interest in fish stocks, sustainable fishing & the marine eco-system -- the general public are largely ignorant of the problems and they (& commercial fishers) have far more pressing concerns :(

That said, they do appear to have some restrictions for Commercial fishers too*, and I rarely dive in winter now and I would normally be happy with just 1 bass a day in the Summer (as there are other tasty species available), especially if the ban is for only one year, 2016. BUT imagine if you were spearing on your annual holiday to the coast, you were lucky enough to get several consecutive days of good weather (hey, it could happen!) allowing the water to clear well enough to dive. You go out and after a couple of hours, getting back into the swing of things & exploring the marine environment, you are lucky and skillful enough to find and spear a decent bass (45cm+). You then carry on spearing for another couple of hours, exploring, making the most of the conditions, getting some much needed exercise, perhaps looking for some other prey - a crab, scallops, pollock, grey mullet, mackerel perhaps - and come across the bass of a lifetime...then what do you do? Let it go I suppose or, less ethically, spear it & discard the original smaller one :( I only mention this because, sod's law, that is what will happen, you'll see no decent bass for months & then (like the proverbial buses) two will come along at once! :D

*More info. here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ational-fishing-restrictions-for-bass-in-2016

For recreational fisheries
In ICES Areas IVb, IVc, VIIa, VIId, VIIe, VIIf, VIIg, VIIh

• from 1st January to 30th June 2016 catch and release only permitted

• from 1st July to 31st December 2016 one bass per fisherman per day
In ICES areas VIIj and VIIk

• from 1st January to 31st December 2016 one bass per fisherman per day
Recreational fisheries include fishing from the shore.

If you have any queries please contact your local marine office.

Reactions: Pinniped72
...I am used to seeing dead and dumped mackerel and doggies, that is nothing unusual but this year I saw dead and dumped smoothounds.................... I was totally p****d off, just another nail in the coffin of fishing, good stocks and a healthy respect for the natural inhabitants of the ocean.....................:cry: Not good, not good at all!
Agreed, that is disgusting. Mackerel are very good eating and very good bait. Even festering fish can be used in crab/lobster traps or as/in chum (ground bait).

Every fisherman & spearo knows this "rule" is ridiculous. The only people who will abide by it will be the more ethical among us who realistically, don't take many fish any way - it will be completely ignored by the rest and to what consequence? Who's realistically going to enforce it? As @Mr. X said, you alienate the people who actually care and those who abuse the seas will plunder to their hearts content, as usual.

Increasing quotas for gill netters while imposing blanket bans on the recreational angler? It's hard to take it seriously.

Reactions: foxfish
It's crazy, seriously how many recreational anglers would it take to catch 1300kg of Bass? and that's only one boat's worth

Received this from one of our (6?) local MEPs today - includes a section on commercial Bass Fishing with rod & line from Weymouth.
RAW DEAL FOR SEA BASS FISHERMEN
Produced & Promoted by Mark Weston on behalf of Ashley Fox MEP, both of 5 Westfield Park, Bristol, BS6 6LT.
www.ashleyfoxmep.co.uk

Last month saw a new deal on fishing quotas across the EU. The decision by the Fisheries Council will see an increase in allowable catches for many species, such as plaice in the English Channel. However, I believe that there needs to be an urgent rethink on proposed restrictions for sea bass fishing, which is now subject to a six month ban.
In Weymouth & Portland sea bass fishermen use rod & line techniques, not the nets that can lead to overfishing. The Dorset based vessels account for one third of the UK rod and line caught bass. The fleet of 15 boats supports over 100 jobs locally and an estimated further 100 jobs are involved with auction, processing and transport.
I have received representations from local fishermen who have proposed a number of compromises such as a three month closed season during the main spawning time for all forms of fishing, but then allowing sustainable fishing techniques (including rod & line) to fish the remaining 9 months a year. This would also work as a powerful incentive to all fishermen to embrace sustainable methods. I will be working with colleagues to try and agree a better deal for Sea Bass fishermen.
Seems like only commercial fishers get any consideration from politicians - and they are the problem (both of them :D).

I'd like to see mackerel quotas cut too. Saw a horrendous documentary on a huge brand new purpose built mackerel. It is designed to hold 4 tonnes of mackerel. In their first test trip out, they caught 5 tonnes of mackerel in the first drag! :(

They deal is such vast volumes that they don't process the fish on board, instead when they return to port and pipe the fish straight in to a purpose built automated processing facility via a large diameter pipe. The fish are process on an automated "production" line. They are raping the seas. They will not be satisfied until there is nothing left - the huge equipment investment means they have to :(.

They will likely put some of the smaller fishers out of business before they finally fish themselves out of business and collapse Britain marine eco-system, again (herrings, sardines/pilchards,...). Sandeels are apparently threatened too from over "harvesting", so that'll be two of the main remaining prey species gone, so what then will become of the species which feed on them (e.g. bass)? [Hint: American tycoons used to take their private yachts to Scarborough, Yorkshire to fish with rods for the mighty blue tuna - which used treached weights up to and over 900lb! When was the last time you heard of a blue fin tuna of 900lb? When was the last time you heard of blue fin tuna off the coast of Yorkshire?]

Last edited:
Its all just so damn tragic. Mackerel have all but gone from the coast near me compared to 10 years ago. All seemed fine until that Hugh chef bloke started encouraging all and sundry to eat them............................ I blame him.......................... only joking Hugh, well kind of :DThe problem is that we are so efficient with trawlers and factory ships that so much damage can be done in a short amount of time............................... that's why spearos are being restricted.................... what a minute, I've lost my train of thought ...................... I will just leave it to the politicians, they know what they're doing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am a bit confused, the petition says it is asking for the ban to be watered down, does anyone know what this actually means, I will not sign anything that increases commercial fishing, I agree Bass need protection but find the solution hysterical. To be clear, is the petition asking for the restrictions on recreational fishing to be lifted, or any bans and reduced commercial limits to be lifted. Having read the report in one of the links I realise that there is a recommended total catch quota, my issue is the way in which the quota has been divided with disregard to environmental and bycatch issues, it really is simple.................. spearfishing is the most selective and environmentally friendly form of fishing that it is possible to do and its about time that this was recognised by official bodies, we seem to get zero say in any of these issues, when in reality we should be consulted at every step for the environmental reasons detailed above. ;)

The petition is aimed at commercial gill netters who are being allowed to fish when the recreational fishers are banned. ie whats the point of banning us and then allowing the commercial guys to carry on - its madness. To be honest banning recreational fishers is plain retarded but it turns full retard when they permit the gill netters at the same time.

Reactions: Broseidon
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT