• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark shooting??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Would you pull the trigger?

• hell yeah!

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • no way!!!

Votes: 37 71.2%

• Total voters
The Sardine run is awesome. Seen some footage on National Geographic and its something I would like to see live. Fishing from the beaches for AJ and DAGA salmon must be great fun.

Too many sharks to dive though.

Whats the record Daga caught out there?

hi

Checked out :
http://www.spearfishingsa.co.za/fish/index.htm

Gives you all our records as well as some shark stories and other info. about spearing in south africa.
Spearfishing records 49kg's. I've read of a couple of fish that were over 50kg's that were shot. I've seen pictures of a 75kg fish caught on rod and reel though.

Attachments

• kob_199-1.jpg
    kob_199-1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 531
Great catches, but on the original question, I don't shot'em, have no desire to and never did, despite being a close to fanatic spearo for a lot of years. We have an agreement, I don't bother them and they don't bother me. Works most of the time and when it doesn't, having a spear between me and him is very comforting and pretty effective at keeping him off me. I shot a sling and if I shot him, he's got the spear and all I've got is a 6 inch block of wood, not real effective if the shark or one of his buddies comes back on me.

Leave'em alone!

Connor

Very nice picture miles...
and I totally agree murat about his thoughts.

I wouldn't shoot a shark only because I don't like to eat shark. A lot of people do like shark and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm sure if I did I would shoot them if given the opportunity.

Sad news for sharks

Here is what I heard on the news last night, I think it is sad, and would really make me think before I would shoot any sharks here in UK.. That guy is just not doing the right thing..

Shark fisherman from Cornwall

I think shooting odd shark once a year is ok, if the spieces are not dangered, but this way any shark will be in danger.. :yack Happy hunting..

Pekka

That fisherman should be shot with a Prodanovich gun with blunt slip tip. See how he likes it.

Hiya,

I don't know whether its been mentioned before, but mako sharks are incredibly tasty. I've caught a couple whilst tuna fishing, and a friend asked me to keep one. He cleaned and filleted a 20kg mako. It was absolutely delicious. We managed to get some hake and kingklip from the longlines, but even those couldn't compare to the grilled mako fillets!!!!

So, the question now arises, who's gonna be brave enough to shoot mako's??? Especially smaller ones, well mommy/daddy might just show up and decide that WE don't taste too bad either !!!:D :D :D

regards
miles

Miles, the Mako that was circling above my head was about 2.5m long. It was an aspetto at around 16m and was not going to risk hitting it badly and then have it turn on me :(

I aimed at it just in case but luckily it carried on hunting the mackerel and left me alone.

Hiya Shaneshac

Good idea, besides 2.5m's of mako is plenty of food!!!:D :D
Have you ever seen a mako's jaws and teeth.........very wicked. The teeth are curld, like fishing hooks, and as soon as you grab him he extends his jaws and swivels his teeth forward. I get freaked out when a little 20kg bugger does this. Shudder to think what a 2.5m Mako's jaws look like.........

Oh, just pm'd you

miles

That news aticle Pekka posted the link to is why I don't like commercial fishing. It's stealing from a public resource for personal profit and they don't care one bit about population levels or sustainable take as long as they're lining their pockets.:duh

Last edited:
Exceptionally uncool to nail a shark - particularly one that size. Plainly an under-endowed Rambo wanna-be with something to prove...

Whoever shot that pup obviously has no respect for the ocean's apex predator. Perhaps some socialization is required - a few encounters as detailed in the site below might help with a reality check...

http://peacockcom.hypermart.net/matt/issues/400/whitem.html

:naughty

I would only shoot a shark if I absolutely had to...then again the mako's where I dive are over 700#'s and I'd rather never see one at all...

Originally posted by charcaradon
Exceptionally uncool to nail a shark - particularly one that size. Plainly an under-endowed Rambo wanna-be with something to prove...

Whoever shot that pup obviously has no respect for the ocean's apex predator. Perhaps some socialization is required - a few encounters as detailed in the site below might help with a reality check...

Its not that easy friend. They are certain thin lines between hunters, commercial butcher, and killers for hobby or sport.

I am proud to say that i am in the first class among those ( at least for now).

If someone really like to eat shark like anyother tasty fish they should not need to be wanna-be to shoot it. But killing shark or any other fish for only ego is something unacceptable.

So if someone shoot a shark we have to ask first, why? I can only see logical excuse, feeding and self-defense.

However as a nature of humans whoes always seeking for power and fame, they can do mistakes sometime.

I never saw a shark but if i see someday i don't think i will shoot it because i don't want to play with dangerous teeths no matter how delicious it may be.

I am just try to look from different perspective.

Ps. Spearfishing competition is something different so i didn't want to include it. Just don't want to open a worm hole again....

Reactions: Ben Gowland
I wouldnt shoot a shark... unless he was about to eat me then i might think again. Ive seen a couple in the UK and must admit when i saw my first porbeagle i went from scared.. to in awe.. to wondering if i could take it but thankfully i didnt try. I do however shoot dogfish which i eat although i'll only shoot a few a year.. not sure if this is the same as they are effectively in the shark family. Same goes for things like tope and smooth hounds in the UK these are legitimate game fish and good eating.. ive never seen a tope but have seen a smooth hound, i've often wondered if i'd shoot one given the chance. But on a whole i think shooting sharks.. especially the large species is wrong.. after all how much shark meat can one man eat?

I agree with the post above, I would only hunt a shark if it becomes agressive or tries to attack you or your fish (considering you can't take your fishes out of the water fastly).

RCC

the biggest concern to shooting sharks Murat is the time it takes them to recover. Many species of shark take 5-10 yrs to reach sexual maturity, they have limited offspring and can be devestated quite easily. Why contribute to that at all b/c your not a commercial guy slaughtering them? I have killed one shark, a 71/2 ft bull that attacked me while hunting, plian and simple, when he opend his mouth it was me or him.

If it was legal to shoot an elephant, would you do it b/c you werent a poacher that slaughters them for profit knowing that the species can not endure the pressure...I mean its just one right?

I am not saying that shooting shark is good or bad. I am just trying to tell the logical reason to shoot a shark. If shooting sharks can damage a population too much then it may not to worth to shoot it for feeding porpouse.Its diver duty to think ecologically and ethics before shooting it. I just talked about ethical reasons.

I don't think any hunter wants to shoot endangered species. But you know its all about conscience of spero.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevevidar
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT