• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark spearing you tube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jimy286

OWSI
Oct 12, 2006
ONE word NUTSSss

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4yqWWSOCh4&feature=related]YouTube - Mako My Day[/ame]

:friday:ko:confused:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDG1EWkHQ]YouTube - shark[/ame]rofl

Reactions: Mr. X
I new I should not of watched those clips!
Thanks for changing the mood Pastor.

Think its a shark...on utube its claimed to be a shark...it looks like a shark at the start untill the end when it look cobia ish..

Id b more worried ending up with an arm in its mouth...and i would not blame the beast

I know this will start another 'interesting' debate but i'm not into the spearing sharks thing, if it's for feeding a set of hungry villagers then that is a different scenario to trophy killing for thrills, I don't see the skill in it other than having to actually subdue the fish and land it which can't be easy. Seems like it could lead to the fish breaking away with 2 spears stuck in it, a worthless waste of life in my opinion; doesn't look like he was using any kind of breakaway gear??? Anyway i'm sure i'll get loads of grief for this but hey-ho it's quiet tonight..........:martial

I agree with Spaniard - one word on the shark spearing videos : WHY? I would assume they shoot them for sport- and sport only. I've been told there waste is dispensed through their skin/body. And that is why they taste so bad, I could be wrong as I have not researched this - it's just what I was told. I just don't get it.

Reactions: Spaniard
What Wa#kers I reckon. People seeing those vids can only get the impression of cowboys, and give this sport/ activity a bad rep.

Although there are some tasty sharks around the world. I'm sure the first one isn't.
Second one not sure. I used to enjoy eating shark back home I Aust.

Tread carefully here, we're keeping a close eye on this thread.

Hmm this is a really interesting one.

Firstly one of the sharks looks rather like a mako, and these are renowned to be great eating.

Secondly, given that this is a large edible fish, I would play devils advocate and ask how this is morally different to shooting any other large pelagic fish which is going to be cut up and eaten at the end of the day.

Sure its wrong to shoot a fish for no reason- any fish- but I've always used the rule that if I am going to eat something, it is fair game, as long as it is not a protected species of course.

Well I've seen a lot of sharks come and go. I've never shot one. But one time two years ago there was a nasty incident and one did get shot in self defence by one of my buddies. We cut it into steaks and ate it and I must say it was one of the tastiest fish of the trip, right up there with wahoo and tuna.

I'm not sure I'd shoot one, primarily because I think there's too much chance of getting bitten if it all goes wrong. But I wouldn't jump on the pro shark bandwagon and condemn these guys either. I think as long as they take the fish for meat thats ok.

Don't get me wrong I dont hate sharks, I admire them. I feel the same about wahoo. And I blat those ;-)

Reactions: Mr. X
I was under the assumption that shark were almost unedible and were killed for the sport of it. I know I dont really know anything about sharks- I did have one bump me in the head once when I was messing around down in Sanible Island, FL (sp?)

i Would not do it....bit far fetched as i used to fish for shark commercily...(and legaly)
There fins are worth a shit load but there meat next to nothing. some shark are great to eat they just need prossesing...

Its not realy the sportys its all the other basterds doing it ileagly...(99.999% of the tuna longliners)

The first shark is a Mako i shark i love so much i names my son after it.(we spell it Maiko) they are also one of the crazzyest/ grumpy/ agresive sharks.

but...all said if there eating it its "fair game"

My last post may have been a bit harsh. considering I/ we don't know their motives for doing it. i.e sport, fun/ thrill or to eat. But I guess by the reactions of most, it's not common or widely heard of. So I would assume most people who see those vids. especially non-spearos would frown upon it. Therefore there could be some amount of negative talk aimed at spearfishing in general. Which gets enough as it is in some places.

But I agree in principle if it's edible and not protected. have a go.
but where there is an amount of ignorance or lack of knowledge, we can all easily get the wrong idea. So is posting vids like that a wise/ good thing to do, in situations that are not easily understood or explained?

Reactions: Pastor
but where there is an amount of ignorance or lack of knowledge, we can all easily get the wrong idea. So is posting vids like that a wise/ good thing to do, in situations that are not easily understood or explained?
Now there lies an argument! Especially where youtube is concerned

I think the youtube audence arnt involeved to much in the inviromental issues..

and somone you searches for man shooting a shark probly thinks its kinda cool.

There not protected and there thousands of good vids with "positive spearing"

Spearo videos on youtube don't generally play well - I have seen a few that were well done and give a sense of the challenge and art - but these just come off gratuitous. Makes the sport look bad.

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT