• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shark spearing you tube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
No disrepect intended jimy. apologies in advance. debate is a healthy thing.

I think the youtube audence arnt involeved to much in the inviromental issues..
The youtube audience is much broader than you may think. how many on this forum use youtube, and are not interested in enviromental issues? you can and will find anything on youtube. Good and bad. protest vids against whaling etc.

somone you searches for man shooting a shark probly thinks its kinda cool.

Probably is like "might" or "maybe" and is not very certain.

and there thousands of good vids with "positive spearing"

To quote my mum " one negative can undo many positives"

anyway thats my 2 cents worth all used up, over to the rest of the forum.

Not sure it's on topic, (no sharks involved) but watch world champ Pato Saez risking to get stuck into the holes of an artificial reef. This makes the sport look quite macho...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNtcMkDDVJQ]YouTube - Campeón Mundial Pesca Submarina. Patricio Saez. Parte2[/ame]

Reactions: Mr. X
Cool vid spaghetti more than a little bit freaky to me, I dont mind peering into and under rocks and ledges but i couldn't do the squeezing in and out he was doing.

Reactions: Pastor
amazing vid! diving into dark holes not my cup of tea but nice to watch a master at work

Spaggie that is a good video, the man’s mad I tell you!!!
Looks a bit like underwater caving but without the air tanks.
Maximum respect to the man.
As for the Sharks, well it’s not my cup of tea but I guess that it’s each to his own.

I've always thought it might be a good idea to attach one of those circular biscuit cutters to the end of a spear. Then I could shoot it at sting rays and get sting ray scallops without actually killing the animal. Cool eh!

Reactions: monchan and Marwan
The reason why I posted the vid made sense in the debate we started about youtube.
As it has been said, spearfishing clips on Youtube almost always give a distorted image of the sport: all you see is just fishes shot, the biggest the better, and extreme performances, to the point that everything looks so easy, slightly cruel and a bit silly in those short clips.
Personally I'd be hard pressed to remember a Youtube spearing clip which was POETIC enough to describe how it really feels, the joy of being under there, the strength and effort that it takes, the shakiness you feel, and then the wonderful, absolute sense of freedom and happiness that comes to bring relief from cold, fatigue, frustration. Vids are just uncapable to describe such moments of eternity, which only lasts fractions of a second but seems to never end, when you point your spear to a fish and are ready to shoot it. It's a striking vision. Feels like you're capturing a spirit, not a fish. I'm not sure I can explain with words. I just wish I could see this poetry in spearing clips...

Reactions: monchan and Pastor
Never happen mate. I think the majority of people who put the clips up there miss out on that one. Most of them do it to promote their own image, whichever way they choose to portray it. I think like me you feel that the real joy of spearfishing is a very personal thing which you don't feel the need to try and brag about.

spago that was great..im just finding trouble getting in the mood with the nice words youve written, looking at the previous post by pastor, his buscuit/cake cutter and sting ray scalops :):):):):):):):)the contradiction between these 2 posts is brilliant!!!...
of course there is art in a buscuit cutter, you could use other shapes as well, doesnt have to be circular hahahaha, im still laughing out loud :)

Reactions: Pastor
Sorry about that Marwan, I can't help myself sometimes. If I ever see a Ray with a hole in it the shape of a gingerbread man I know you will have been there first rofl

The cookie-cutter shark does just that. It takes a circular bite out of a passing fish or mammal. Sustainable fishing? rofl

I've always thought it might be a good idea to attach one of those circular biscuit cutters to the end of a spear. Then I could shoot it at sting rays and get sting ray scallops without actually killing the animal. Cool eh!

Great idea! how about freeshafting through the stingray and into the cobia. Then you cut the scallop out with the cobia meat and throw it on the grill. if you can catch the cobia. (probably very ineffective and not very environmentally freindly) stingrays swimming around looking like swiss cheese

Great idea! how about freeshafting through the stingray and into the cobia. Then you cut the scallop out with the cobia meat and throw it on the grill. if you can catch the cobia. (probably very ineffective and not very environmentally freindly) stingrays swimming around looking like swiss cheese
Yeah but if you follow the theory of jet fin design it may allow the ray to swim faster; it might actually lead to the evolvement of a new species. The gingerbread man jet ray

Okay well back to the shark issue. I live on the East Coast of the U.S. HUGE SPORT FISHING AREA. Mako sharks are absolutely delicious!!!!! They swim up to 60mph and even using a boat to back down one fish and a traditional rod and reel they are a real chore to catch. Shooting them however??? I don't really go for that. Sharks have a tendency not to die easily. Even dragging them backwards through the water (prevents them from filtering water through their gills and they essentially "drown") can be ineffective. The best method for safely getting the shark onto the boat is shooting it in the head with a large caliber gun (shotgun with slugs works best). While this is all part of the big macho attitude that game fisherman have (a do a bit myself so I'm allowed to self criticize :)) it just doesn't fit into the spearfishing mentality. The hunt and the challenge is the best part (aside from eating the fish). The sharks will come right up to you because they're curious and not afraid. To me this just seems wrong. On a similar not check out the thread "think before spearing a grouper". But in the defense of the people shooting them, a mako is a very tasty fish and I guess shooting them is a fairer way of catching them then using a rod and reel.
And Spaghetti, I'm a youtube junkie and that video makes me cringe. But I love the site and spend most of my law classes messing around looking at spearfishing and freediving videos.

I shot a shark once and will hopefully never have to do it again...Some fish just wont die even with a shot through the head and torn out gills...people dont shoot sharks unless your ready to lose your equipment.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT