• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharks and Spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Miles
post that picture that you took of the GW close to your boat.. :D

miles said:
Hiya

rigdvr, for experienced spearo's, the fear isn't so great, simply becuase you've become accustomed to seeing sharks and argueing with them over who's fish is on the end of your spear!!

How-ever, 500lb sharks are puppy's!!! GWS are mean buggers that become VERY AGGRESSIVE when provoked!!! Quite a few guys here had their boats damaged when they tried gaffing a large GWS , when fishing for them was still legal. Any guy that claims he isn't scared of a 5m+ GWS, thats 3000-4000lb's of pure PREDATOR is NUTS!!!! rofl rofl

When i saw my first 5m+GWS, my first instict was : Wow look at this cool whale passing under me!! Your mind simply cannot accept that a shark can grow THAT big!! Its not just the length, but the GIRTH of such a large shark that scares the daylights out of me!!! I was so scared, i couldn't even put a powerhead on!! Simply kept the gun pointing at the shark. He couldn't have been bothered, and simply swam past me and my dive buddy and then diss-appeared.

Regards
miles

Hiya

Miles
post that picture that you took of the GW close to your boat..
Anything for YOU, Ms. Sands!!!:chatup

First pic: a young 2.5m great white shark approaching the boat, whilst the divers are getting in on the other side. The loade gun with powerhead was only a precaution, should thing turn sour..........Luckily for the shark, he behaved himself!!!

Second Pic: a young harmless blue shark at the boat. Very inquisitive buggers!!

Third Pic: this was taken on an Australian boat i think. This is what a LARGE GWS looks like!!!!

Attachments

• Great White approaching boat sb.JPG
    Great White approaching boat sb.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 189
  • blue shark.JPG
    blue shark.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 174
  • gw.bmp
    201.3 KB · Views: 191
miles said:
Hiya

Anything for YOU, Ms. Sands!!!:chatup

First pic: a young 2.5m great white shark approaching the boat, whilst the divers are getting in on the other side. The loade gun with powerhead was only a precaution, should thing turn sour..........Luckily for the shark, he behaved himself!!!

Second Pic: a young harmless blue shark at the boat. Very inquisitive buggers!!

Third Pic: this was taken on an Australian boat i think. This is what a LARGE GWS looks like!!!!

hehehe
i remember one that you posted about a year and a half ago.. you guys didn't leave the harbour i think after seeing it! :D

Miles, is it safe to fire a speargun out of the water? I could not help but notice you were prepared to fire it at the shark out of the water.

As for that third picture. It was taken somewhere around australia. Story goes some guys had a tuna pen and the GW chewed a hole in the mesh and got in. One guy hit it with a powerhead or shot it, something along those lines. Since it was already wounded and going ballistic they had to kill. So it would not damage the pen. One of the guys jumped in with a powerhead and killed the beast. He said when he jumped in and it saw him, the thing went insane. Took more than 5 shots to kill it. Scary stuff. Going against a injured wild animal is nuts.

Polystigma said:
Miles, is it safe to fire a speargun out of the water? I could not help but notice you were prepared to fire it at the shark out of the water.

Question... how do you know he was prepared to fire it?

If a friend of mine was trying to board from the other side as Miles says, it's a risk worth taking. Also, I don't see what can go wrong as long as you unload it once the threat is gone.

DeepThought said:
If a friend of mine was trying to board from the other side as Miles says, it's a risk worth taking. Also, I don't see what can go wrong as long as you unload it once the threat is gone.

hey too true... and would i be correct in assuming that a shark that size.. that particular spear may only be like a knife wound to a human?

Hiya

hehehe
i remember one that you posted about a year and a half ago.. you guys didn't leave the harbour i think after seeing it!
Yes, we did go out the next day again!!! I do seem to recall a rather lovely lady refusing to join us..........rofl rofl

Polystigma, firing a gun out of the water isn't a good idea. In this situation, the sharks is just below the surface. Shooting it from the boat with the powerhead, WILL cause instant demise to the gws. The only way the spear will rebound, is if the sharks is too far away when you shoot. Its not a recommended thing to do, but the guys with me on the boat have been spearing for more than 30years and know what they're doing...........

Regards
miles

Just a small post concerning Andre Hartman:
I met him last friday in Germany (where he was with SHARKPROJECT) and he is really crazy about GWS.
I talked to him about freediving with them in South-Africa and he said:
"Everybody can do it, it's not a big problem." rofl
his website: www.andrehartman.com

MANUEL

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
Manuel said:
Just a small post concerning Andre Hartman:
I met him last friday in Germany (where he was with SHARKPROJECT) and he is really crazy about GWS.
I talked to him about freediving with them in South-Africa and he said:
"Everybody can do it, it's not a big problem." rofl
his website: www.andrehartman.com

MANUEL

Did anyone see the show where he was almost too scared to get in with the California GW's? Glad I don't dive in California.:crutch

As an aside. Do ph's have a firing pin or how do they go off? Sudden contact with the surface can't set them off?

island_sands said:
Question... how do you know he was prepared to fire it?

Well there is a shark in the water and there are two divers in the water. He has a loaded speargun with a POWEREAD on it aimed at the shark. Looks like he was pretty prepared to fire at the shark if things got nasty. Why would you ask such a question? No one loads a speargun out of the water with PH on it for fun. Most people only do it if they are prepared to use it, whatever the reason may be.

Reactions: rigdvr
Poly,

Maybe I'm wrong, but in every posts where you pull your nose in and try to share your "experience" and argue with people you don't have any idea who they are, about a subject that I know, for sure, you have no idea, it turns to shit...

I tried in an other forum to "protect" you, as Rigdvr did here, and got in the same situation as he did here. Everybody knows you're a NEWBIE, and you know it too, and there's nothing wrong about it. Don't try to look like an experienced diver cause you've collected some infos here and there (forums) in the last weeks. Many are tired of seeing you everywhere, posting more than anyone, and asking for something one day, and the day after, giving advices about this, talking with experience.

Maybe Amphibious told it the hard way, but read, take notes (while staying silent) try, ask question when you can't find an answer already posted, dive, dive, dive, dive... and talk!

Did you ever shot a fish? If yes, tell us the story.

wannabespearo said:
How 'bout them sharks...?

Any Pacific Northwest Divers ever have a problem with dogfish? had a few of these little buggers steal fish off my float. never agressive but a major pain-in-the-ass

Polystigma said:
Well I thought you might have been a spearo since you posted in the "Spearo board". Sorry for the misunderstanding. The band on top of the gun is pulled all the way back(tells you the gun is loaded), the powehead (little round cylinder containing a cartridge) on front of the gun has replaced the spear tip. A normal procedure when defending against predators. With the divers in the water and the shark in the water. He is prepared to defend the divers if need be. By fireing the shaft with the powerhead into the shark from the boat. Better?:)

thx :D i post here for a laugh - i never post on spearboard.com though... their bikini posts are way too much for the guys sitting in my office rofl rofl

milhouse said:
Poly,

Maybe I'm wrong, but in every posts where you pull your nose in and try to share your "experience" and argue with people you don't have any idea who they are, about a subject that I know, for sure, you have no idea, it turns to shit...

I tried in an other forum to "protect" you, as Rigdvr did here, and got in the same situation as he did here. Everybody knows you're a NEWBIE, and you know it too, and there's nothing wrong about it. Don't try to look like an experienced diver cause you've collected some infos here and there (forums) in the last weeks. Many are tired of seeing you everywhere, posting more than anyone, and asking for something one day, and the day after, giving advices about this, talking with experience.

Maybe Amphibious told it the hard way, but read, take notes (while staying silent) try, ask question when you can't find an answer already posted, dive, dive, dive, dive... and talk!

Did you ever shot a fish? If yes, tell us the story.

I did not ask anyone for thier protection nor did I require it. Don't try and make yourself look like some sort of saint for nothing. It all comes down to freedom of speech. I can say whatever I want as long as I follow the rules of the board, etc... I can make any suggestions I want and give any advice I want as long as I follow the rules of the board. If anyone does not want to deal with it then just skip my post. In other words every time you see one of my posts just ignore it. Remember me as the guy who don't know Chit. Ahh the guy who don't know chit, I like that.:) And yes I have shot a fish, but it's nothing to be proud of.

The guy who don't know chit.

Look! Shark eating my fish... :head

quality kinda sucks because he was trashing around so much...

That fish is 80cm btw, would go 10kg.. and that wobby was throwing it around like a doll... :crutch

Attachments

• wobby eating.jpg
    wobby eating.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 172
Shadowkiller said:
Look! Shark eating my fish... :head

quality kinda sucks because he was trashing around so much...

That fish is 80cm btw, would go 10kg.. and that wobby was throwing it around like a doll... :crutch

Cool wobby sasch! :cool: have you got any photos of those pinky coloured wobbegongs?

island_sands said:
Cool wobby sasch! :cool: have you got any photos of those pinky coloured wobbegongs?

I dunno what drugs you are on.. but I want some...:t

Pink Wobbegongs? Are we still talking Orectolobidae family of sharks?

Heres a "new" species whos description will be published shortly. Possibly with this pic in the paper...

Honestly... carpet sharks are usually camo coloured... pink is kinda out. Unless they got "zushed" rofl

Attachments

• Orectolobus halei - Ornate Wobbegong 06.jpg
    Orectolobus halei - Ornate Wobbegong 06.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: land shark
MKDVR said:
Do ph's have a firing pin or how do they go off? Sudden contact with the surface can't set them off?

Getting back on track here.

The pictured powerhead is a slip on style, of unknown caliber. The spear's point becomes the firing pin. It's is a Hawaiian flopper spear without a removable spearhead, and appears to be on a euro-rail gun.

The surface could, but might not, set it off. There are too many unknown variables. If it did, it would still likely hit a shark close to the surface, as this one is swimming. If it was one of my seldom used slip on PHs, the shell would probably fail and the PH would just thump the shark. Either way, the shark would probably not like the contact and be diverted away from the divers entering the boat.

As Miles said, it's not a great idea to fire a speargun out of the water, but it can and has been done by experienced shooters, expecting more kick than when in the water. Probably a medium sized gun, as seen in the photo, would be better than using a tuna gun.

Chad

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT