• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharks in QATAR, Identifying needed please!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
podge said:
Back to the original question of what type of Shark it is, it looks like a Bronze Whaler to me.
I caught AND RELEASED a few a couple of years ago in Namibia.
I’ll post a picture next week.
All the Sharks we caught went back to the sea with no harm done.
Probably to take revenge on the first spearo they come across!!!!!:) :)

Thank you podge .... I appreciate the direct answer...

Reactions: podge
I also thought it was a bronze whaler. I didnt' think you got Silkies in the Gulf region.

pretty sure there are silkies in the gulf, but I could be mistaken. we caught a lot of "reef sharks" that we assumed were silkies when I lived in saudi.

A silky is a pelagic shark though... rarely come to the reefs except for cleaning.

Here is a distributionmap of silky sharks

Attachments

• workimagethumb.png
    workimagethumb.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 185
Sorry, the website seems to have some trouble opening, or it could be the office computer.
Anyways go to www.fishbase.org type in silky and away you go!! It is a real cool site, you can even select your own country and it will list what fish are found there, when they were found, how big the specimens were etc.

There you go one Bronze Whaler.
This one happy is in much better condition than the ones at the start of this thread.

shark_1.jpg

Marwan said:
podge, how so? did this one die of old age? :)

This one and the rest of the Sharks we caught were all measured weighed tagged photographed and released back to the sea UNHARMED.

ok !, must have been fooled by the photo, it looks like the classic "i caught a shark" picture...
cheers

Hiya

Podge, i'll hazard a guess...... caught that in South West Africa / Namibia?:D

Regards
miles

allot of places to dive here, it depends if your going to dive inshore or deep sea!!??

the easiest one to go is the old reef... At C-line area, to the left side of the resort.
there is also Al Odaid area .. allot of nice places there, but you need a 4X4 and a good guide to take you there.... don't go alone if you don't know it.

some nice places near Dukhan.

but don't expect allot of reefs here, are you into spearfishing or diving only???

PM me if you need more info. will be glad to help.

miles said:
Hiya

Podge, i'll hazard a guess...... caught that in South West Africa / Namibia?:D

Regards
miles

Hi Miles your spot on Namibia 2004.
A few friends and myself have a trip abroad every year or so and I can tell you mate that one was a real hum dinger.:friday :friday

The pics of the sharks in the start of the thread seemed to have a more profound black tip than that whaler. Does the colour vary from shark to shark??

Craig Thailand said:
If these people were not vegetarians I would ask them if they think shark fins are collected humanly and how many they think are killed a year?
l

Time and time again I see people attempting to justify the taking of sharks, or rare fish (or any fish) with the line "the commerical fishos do way more damage".

What a cop out. If you think your fishing style is sustainable, say so. Dont use the "its ok to do it because other people do more of it anyway" excuse.

Thats like me claiming its ok to kill a person because Hitler murdered 6 million people. Its doesnt make any sense.

It makes spearos look like idiots. Promote the sustainability of spearfishing, dont try to deflect criticism by pointing at the mistakes of others. It doesnt put your activity into perspective, it just makes you look like part of the problem.

:head

It seems as though you may have seen this type of situation arise on forums many times in the past. Unfortunatly the vibe i get from most people is that they are not so concerned about the sustainability of the sport, more about the pain that the animal goes through. That was more my point about the shark finners, but again you are right because justifying ones actions against the mistakes or actions of others is not correct either. I really find it hard to justify this part of spearfishing, it is not putting that animal in pain that satisfys us but some people tend to confuse the overall situation.
It may seem as though i am passing the proverbeal 'hot potatoe' here but, how do you get around this obstacle that I am sure as a seasoned spearo have encountered many times? I tend to explain that we eat what we kill, reply being why don't you buy it from the market; and there we are back at square one again.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT