• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharm Individual World Champs - Info & Updates

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: AIDA WC Website - Sharm 2007

Thanks Bill, Thanks Apnea Academy Egypt!

Love, peace and water!

Kars

35 Euro! Wow, how is it so cheap!

Accomodation and trainings are separated, i don't know if the 35 Euro are for both disciplines or is 35 Euro each. But anyway it is really cheap, i pray for being able to be there...

Because of the majority of the flights incoming and outgoing from sharm are on sundays, the dates for WC will change.

NEW DATES - October 23rd to 3rd of November.

/B

(this will also be the last time our WC will be at the same time as DEMA in US)

Very good news! Thanks Bill and WC organisation!

Kars

accomodation.jpg

Can I participate the comp and the training without using of the hotel facilitys?

Last edited:

Hi Wolleneugebauer,

I was waiting for you to enter this discussion :)

The training is in the water just outside the hotel, 25m swim to have 75m depth, 35m swim for 100m.

I will check if this is possible, for you!

regards
B

I have one problem and question. I would really like to go to WC but I can’t get 12 days free at my work. Does anybody know if it will be ok if I come there on 27. October? 12 days for two disciplines is really a lot.

Regards Jure

Does "all inclusive" mean food and so on?

And can I get drunk every night for free?????????

Peter P

Hi All,

Anyone know where to find last year's actual results? ie. what depths everyone did, who came first etc?

You find last years results on AIDAs website.

Then I would like everybody with WC questions to contact the organizer direct:

info@apnea-academy-egypt.com

---
"all inclusive" use to be incl food as well, but no alcohol.
You can train and compete outside of hotel facilitys, if you really feel this way.
AND to Jure: Contact the organizer!!!
---

/B

Hi Wolleneugebauer,

I was waiting for you to enter this discussion :)

I will check if this is possible, for you!

regards
B
My second favourite question is:

What is it happens with the lanyard in constant nofins by the worlds 2007?

sorry for that.:head

You will need a lanyard, yes. But not around your waist/hip. (please)

Put the lanyard higher up - on your chest, 10cm below your neck.
...or on your back, 10cm below your neck.

Don't you think this will work with some training?

/B

Put the lanyard higher up - on your chest, 10cm below your neck.
...or on your back, 10cm below your neck.

Don't you think this will work with some training?

/B
I don't think this will work.
To be 10cm below your neck the belt would need to be jammed up under your armpits, and would have the following effects:
1. restrict muscular action (latissimus dorsi & pectorals)
2. restrict inspiration vol.
3. thoracic compression during the dive would mean the belt would become loose and move down on to the hips anyway, and possibly even slide onto the legs. The only way to avoid this would be to use an extremely tight elastic belt, creating even greater problems with 1. & 2.
4. The lanyard itself is more likely to interfere with the armstroke.

Having the lanyard around the waist/hips doesn't present any of the above problems. I know the safety issues with having the belt positioned at the center of gravity, and I may be missing something (bra-style harness instead of belt?), but at first glance the chest seems entirely the wrong place to put the lanyard.

As an aside, I personally believe that in clear water lanyards present more problems than they resolve, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a serious freediving incident or death CAUSED by a lanyard before we see one saved by one (EVERYONE I know who has used a lanyard has a horror story of getting tangled at the bottom, jammed etc, but I haven't yet heard of a deep blackout victim being saved by lanyard + counterweight).

Will,

Of course we talk about a harness with straps over your shoulders.
(and under your armpits as well)

This is not complicated and there’s nothing that gets jammed or restricts muscular action. AND if you make it with right material from the beginning it will not restrict inspiration volume either. (!!!)

Interfere with the arm stroke... maybe if you don't put some training behind it. This is the same with all kind of lanyards and disciplines.

If you have a better idea where to put the lanyard, please let us know.

/B

Interfere with the arm stroke... maybe if you don't put some training behind it. This is the same with all kind of lanyards and disciplines.
Since in most peoples CWNF armstroke the stroke is narrowest at the point in front of the sternum (and in some cases the hands actually touch), the hands could easily catch the lanyard as they pass. Obviously training can adapt you to this and anything else: the important point is whether it forces the athlete to make compromises in their technique and style, and whether the slight improvement in safety afforded by moving the lanyard belt/harness from the waist up to the chest is worth this compromise.

Has AIDA conducted practical trials with both systems (chest & waist) to compare what happens in an emergency rescue? If you have to use a lanyard these are the only 2 options (wrist, ankle and neck attachments are all dangerous and inefficient).

I appreciate the debate, but I think for this WC it is quite simple

It is in the rules for 2007 - there are a lot of rules that may be in need of debate, but as long as they are as they are - the athlete needs to adapt and yes, sometimes compromise. The good thing is, rules are the same for everyone. So no-one gains or looses if they all also train according to the rules.

If the rules need changing, this should be brought into the attention of the technical comission in AIDA. The lanyard system surely is not in it's present form the perfect solution but it is generally accepted as the best all around compromise for the problems. Improvement ideas are always welcome (I hope). Arguably, in good vis, using deep safety divers would be just as safe...?

Last edited:

Hi Jome,
The debate is not whether a lanyard should be used but where it should be mounted. I don't know if Bill is requesting or stipulating that the lanyard should be a chest harness, but this is definitely not in the current AIDA rules (which are included below).
Hence the validity of the debate.

The safety lanyard binds the athlete to the warm-up line or to the official line. It is made up of;
• a karabiner without screws in which the opening (minimum 15mm) is big enough to allow the karabiner
to be placed and hooked to the line without difficulty. The "finger" of the karabiner must function
normally; in other words opening with little pressure and closing automatically.
• a semi-elastic or non elastic link between 30cm (minimum) and 100cm (maximum when stretched) in
length, made up of a material designed to not make knots (e.g. a cord, or a cord covered with plastic).
• a wrist or ankle band which cannot be removed inadvertently, which includes a ring having an interior
diameter of a minimum of 26mm for athletes wearing the lanyard on the wrist; OR a belt other than the
weight belt, which cannot be removed inadvertently for those wearing the lanyard on the waist, the belt
holding the lanyard must be situated higher than the weight belt. In this last case, the freediver will still
wear a wrist band, which cannot be removed inadvertently, including a lanyard ring of an interior
diameter of a minimum of 26mm.
• the total weight of the safety lanyard may not exceed 500gr.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT