• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sharm Individual World Champs - Info & Updates

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re: AIDA WC Website - Sharm 2007

Agreed - if we play the "by the book" game, then this applies the other way too. Then again judges can reject a lanyard if they feel it is inappropriate - and Bill did say "please" :)

Frankly, I don't know where would be the best for CNF. I wear mine on the wrist for all disciplines, but I'm hardly pulling WR-level performances (much less competing in Sharm)

Hmm... bigger thing that I expect.

Ok, let try it this way.
Lanyard around your waist/hip/stomach will not be ok for WC.
Lanyard around/linked to your ankle or leg will not be ok for WC.
Lanyard around/linked to your head or neck will not be ok for any AIDA disciplines.

OPTIONS:
Lanyard around/linked to your wrist/arm - ok
Lanyard around/linked to your higher part of your chest or back - ok

So - please, IF you enter the competition you have to follow the same rule as everybody else, simple and fair.

I have tried out the harness with straps over my shoulders, and it’s 20 times better than have the lanyard around my waist or has it linked to my wrist.

Make a test and come back with your experience.

Regards
/B

ps. Remember that this WC don’t have FIM on the program

/B

Can you maybe upload a picture of such a harness as some sort of template what a good harness should look like ?

I definitely agree with Will on that, having a lanyard any higher then the waist will really start getting in the way for CNF. I have done CNF dives in competition with a lanyard on the waist, once you train with it and get used to it is not so bad. Most people's armstroke does get wider at the end so the lanyard on the waist is the least disruptive. A lanyard on the wrist really is not a good option for CNF.

Bill I don't really understand, this is not in the current AIDA rules, is this then an extra requirement just for the WC ?
I understand safety is a high priority but if it totally stuffs up your technique is going a bit far. Such a major rule change should be voted upon like any other AIDA rule. The current CNF world record was done with no lanyard so AIDA rules are not all the same...

Wal

Unfortunately the Sharm WC is at exactly the same time as DEMA.... so you can count me out.... I think that may be the same reason Mandy isn't going either.

If you have seen the CB in action, with a freediver having the Lanyard around the waist?

I have, and it's not a pretty thing. AND for safety reason, I think that is an extremely (!) bad option. AGAIN... if you have a better place to put the lanyard, please let us know ASAP. I know that athletes have practise with it linked to your wrist, and managed to do that very well.

For me, personally, I like to have it on my back just below my neck. Then I simply swim with my back against the line. I know it sounds strange, but it works perfectly with some training behind it. (CNF that is)

When it comes to the dates of the WC, I'm sorry that it collides with DEMA. But it was this option or no competition (this time). Soo if our real athletes are more interested of DEMA than the AIDA World Championship, that’s how it is. Everybody make there own choice.

Regards
/B

I was just thinking last night after logging off that wearing the lanyard on the back below the neck would make most sense in terms of the lifting.

If you have it on your chest, the pull would be tilting your whole head back, basically opening your airways and forcing water in at a great speed. Where as if it is on the back, it will tilt your head towards you chest and not only close your airways but also protecting the opening from the flow of water...

Not sure if I prefer the idea of swimming my back against the guide rope though - and putting 2 ropes doesn't really make sense either from a safety point of view.

Being lifted from the waist not only generates enormous drag (and probably snaps most lanyards), it greatly increases the unmentionable chance of being hit by the counter weight.

Is the DEMA more important to champion freedivers then a world championship? Why is the DEMA so important?

Jorg,

DEMA is one of the biggest diving trade shows in the world. Champion athletes go there to raise sponsorship, or if their primary business is in teaching freediving - the go there to generate new business.

FreeDiving is being promoted heavily by a number of companies at DEMA and we're finally starting to get some headway into getting the sport a higher profile in the industry.

It isn't essential to be at DEMA but it certainly helps in promoting the sport. Having a WC right at the exact time will cause some anxiety to athletes who also want to either (a) find sponsors at DEMA or (b) want to get more business for their freediving related business.

Hopefully they can send a business partner to DEMA, and go for the World Championship themselves.

A World Championship title 2007 would help there business more than anything else, if there into freediving that is.

:thankyou
/B

Ok, let try it this way.
Lanyard around your waist/hip/stomach will not be ok for WC.
Lanyard around/linked to your ankle or leg will not be ok for WC.
Lanyard around/linked to your head or neck will not be ok for any AIDA disciplines. /B
Is this aida talking? Or Bill talking. Is a decision taken in: Assembly, TC or board on this? This is serious business for us who do CNF.

Sebastian

AIDA have not take any decision in this question yet.

BUT.. tho it's serious business, and with our experience how to NOT linked the lanyard. This will be highly(!) possible.

Do you have a better way how to linked the lanyard in CNF, Sebastian?

/B

AIDA have not take any decision in this question yet.Do you have a better way how to linked the lanyard in CNF, Sebastian? /B

It has not happened yet, but one day the antiballast will be needed and then we do not want to have the athlete being pulled up by the waist. Good that AIDA sees this problem. I my view the safety issue is most pressing for the atheletes that can not be saved by freediving safetydivers or scuba at surface that can be deployed. Most freedivers in WC CNF will probably be between 40-50 (my guess).

BUT

What I found most intresting in this thread is not the actual place of the lanyard but the fact that:

1) Bill (the athlete) trains with a new lanyard system (probably a good one and well thought out if I know Bill right).
2) Bill (the president?) ask other CNF athletes to PLEASE not attach the lanyard by the waist.
3) Several athelets protests and wants to follow the options that the rules give them.
4) Bill (the president) changes PLEASE to YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED.

Its a good idea Bill, but I personally would feel better if the decision was coming from TC (and approved by board or assembly). This IS a big thing for us that train CNF.

Sebastian

Ok...

I ask again and again for ideas to workwith, but nothing is coming.

Please, we all and the TC need ideas about where to put the lanyard in CNF.

To Sebastian, my CNF training have not started yet, but I've done some tests on 6-7 ways to linked the lanyard for CNF.

I found it irritating to have the lanyard around my wrist, it works and it's good if you have to pull someone up from depth, but it's in the way for the swim.

To attach the lanyard on the higher part of your chest is better - and on your higher part of your back the best this far.

To have it on the back is also the absolut best when it comes to pull someone up.

When it comes to have the lanyard around your waist/hip/stomach, this way is crazy when it comes to pull someone up. The safety is not there anymore, and this option is, in my opinion, out of the game. It's actually create more danger and risks in an emergency situation.

/B

(I hope there is no-one thinking about llinking the lanyard around you leg or head)

I would like to see some pictures what kind of system is OK. So I can make my own one and prepare for competitions.

Jure

Here is an idea I just got, but I'm not that experienced, so forgive me if its complete BS :)

The lanyard would be attached on the chest harness, but it would go first to the waist and from there to the dive line. Simple way would be to lock the lanyard into the weight belt buckle. The idea is to have the lanyard come from the waist and not interfere with the stroke, but when being pulled, it would release itself from the buckle and the diver would be pulled by the chest. As a bonus the weight belt would be also dropped... The tricky part is you would have to be carefull not to pull on the lanyard during the dive, and I guess the 1m limit would not be enough for this. Alternative is to have it attached to a separate belt with the same principle - it would be released from the waist when pulled.

I think the lanyard on the waist is enough safe for cnf.

Total safe is no freediving only!

I have been pulled up from 35m (simulated blackout) with the lanyard around my waist. There were no problems during the emergency procedure, although of course the ascent speed wasn't as fast as being pulled up by the wrist.

Hey Dude,
not total BS I also was thinking of the same idea as you. If you had the secure point higher ie chest/back, but then have the lead atach to some sort of breakaway system that held it onto your belt. ie under normal swimming conditions would stay on your belt but with any force would unclip/break.
You would have to add at least 1/2m onto the length of the lanyard, ie still measure from the belt. Would require a change in the AIDA rule, but then what Bill is suggesting is a rule change anyway. I don't see anything wrong with a slight increase in lanyard length. I still don't know where the 1m lanyard rule came from, my guess was to keep it short to help prevent entanglement.

I'm sure this wouldn't be too difficult to make, but then someone would have to demonstrate it ?
Bill does this sound plausible ?

Cheers,
Wal

I have been pulled up from 35m (simulated blackout) with the lanyard around my waist. There were no problems during the emergency procedure, although of course the ascent speed wasn't as fast as being pulled up by the wrist.

I did it too. It is slow, but it is working.
I never heard from black outs deeper than 20m. The risk is so small. For this unusual case our safty-system is good. I dont like the idea to castrate the sport for the safty-reasons (or unfounded fears) only.

I dont wear a hard hat on the street alltimes.
Sorry, my 2 cents only!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT