• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Shooting techniques when in a school of Fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey Marmir: I did practical pistol shooting for about 15 years! Full bore pistols, 9mm, .40 S+W and .45 ACP. I was never that good though, but I think those years of point and shoot help me spearing.

Comp. this weekend canceled, 1 to 2M viz and huge swells, still got in though. Check out De la Paranguanzon (sorry, in Spanish only)

Hey Marmir: I did practical pistol shooting for about 15 years! Full bore pistols, 9mm, .40 S+W and .45 ACP. I was never that good though, but I think those years of point and shoot help me spearing.

Comp. this weekend canceled, 1 to 2M viz and huge swells, still got in though. Check out De la Paranguanzon (sorry, in Spanish only)

Hi Azapa,

...I'm sure it has helped a lot.....btw I don't speak spanish and I have spot you in a pic....pls tell us more about it....

So wat do you guys use as a target in the water for shooting?

A plastic bottle full of sand, a "balsa" light wood plate or...the Omer target fish (Omer now sells a plastic fish for practice shooting: it costs 24 euro. I'd say: plastic bottle and save your money for some serious bottle if you see what I mean :friday).

Do a google search on "instinctive shooting" there are dudes out there who are precision shots without even looking at their guns, bows or whatever else they are shooting.
Interesting, I guess it's the classic western gunslinger approach.

I find aiming properly always takes too way too long & fish sense all that gradual tensing & positioning. Even a partial hurried aim is often too much. I found using a smaller 75cm spear gun last season seemed to help make that sort of instinctive shooting easier & more natural, it was a joy. IB Boyd's description of how he uses his very long (140cm) railgun was very interesting. Longer guns (even 90cm) seem to require a different approach than a short gun, especially in a current/rip.

I would warn you all that this thread has a very suggestive title: 'Shooting techniques when in a school.' My first thought was it was someone who was planning a 'Columbine High School Massacre', and needed techniques to shoot people when in a high school...

We don't need any more of those. sigh.
(Well spotted & fixed guys ;)).

Re: Shooting techniques when in a school of Fish wearing trenchcoats

I would warn you all that this thread has a very suggestive title: 'Shooting techniques when in a school.' My first thought was it was someone who was planning a 'Columbine High School Massacre', and needed techniques to shoot people when in a high school...

Eric, I think the media has warped your mind. :) That never once occured to me in the 18months this thread has been up and running!

When the shaft is released you'll be suprised (you should NOT know when your gun will shoot).
Coming from ballistic target shooting, I can tell you it pains me anytime I hear somebody say this...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT