• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Silly Question on Wetsuit Lube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EcchiK

Feb 6, 2008
I expect my first wetsuit to arrive from Elios any day now so I've had my mind on lube lately.

I know I want to use a anti-bacterial soap/water mixture to keep the suit bacteria free.

Now, the only liquid anti-bacterial soap I can seem to find around my parts is the gel type.

Is it ok to use the gel type soap to make my lube or should I hunt some more for some "normal" liquid soap with antibacterial properties?

EDIT: Also, I've heard that some soaps are more environmentally friendly than others. Anyone know what chemicals to avoid or any good enviro-friendly soaps?

Last edited:
Be careful not to use any petroleum based lubes or washes, it'll eat the rubber.

I use a normal hair conditioner, a good dollop with a litre or so of water, works great and is good on the skin, no reactions at all. Afterwards I wash my suit in a solution using Milton baby wash, which is a mild very bleach I think, it's used for cleaning and disinfecting nappies. I guess sometimes nappies and wetsuits have something in common ;)

Cheers,
Ben

I use talcum powder. Suit goes on dry, and if it's a custom suit from elios chances are it'll come off 90% dry too. Wash it in detol?

I use Unicure.

Attachments

• unicure.jpg
    unicure.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 246
I just use cheap hair conditioner. The only downside is that it makes my skin break out afterwards.

I just use cheap hair conditioner. The only downside is that it makes my skin break out afterwards.

So don't use CHEAP conditioner? Use baby shampoo. I have the same problem. Baby shampoo is great. But get the good stuff, Johnson&Johnson of course...... Or Talc!

I went to the store and smelled hair conditioners and got one that did not irritate me. I think I dilute it about 1 part condition to 4 parts water in a small pistol grip window cleaner spray bottle. It works great and smells better than no conditioner.

I went by what the shop I purchased the open cell wetsuit from suggested. It works well and it does smell better than a non-lubed suit.

I used to use washing up liquid (The MOAR the BETTA!) but since being enlightened by Broseidon this weekend, I am now a firm believer in Aqueous Cream.

Reactions: apneaboy
I use conditioner with no issues. If you have a smooth skin exterior, I would use a thicker lube than a nylon exterior. My Yamamoto 45 suit is very delicate, so I lube it up well.

As far as skin irritation, I make sure I don't get any conditioner with Extra Vitamin ____. When I get sunburn I really start to itch because my body starts producing too much Vitamin D (or was it E). My Doctor told me to be careful with the soaps I choose because of this. I have not had any problems with conditioner yet.

The spray bottle idea works well. I quit using it and just dump the lube in and shake it up in the suit.

Just be careful the first few times putting it on. Once you get the hang of it, you will be fine.

I've had issues with certain types of hair conditioners. Elios suggested I use baby powder or baby oil.

Baby powder worked pretty well, but I don't like breathing the stuff when I put the suit on- and don't want to end up with powder lung when I get old(er). The baby oil worked very well as far as a non irritating suit lube goes, but I had to scrub the oil off of my face before I put my mask on.

I recently tried non allergenic body lotion. It seems to work pretty well, but I'm still not 100% sold on it. I'm thinking of trying out the stuff that Sven sells through his on-line shop, but I need to use up the stuff that I have first.

Jon

Aqueous cream works well, but there is something about conditioner that just works a treat with open cell. Part for part you get more lubrication out of conditioner than emulsifying creams and lotions (for some reason??). Especially when pulling high-waist pants up nice and high. I made the switch after running out of aqueous and using my good lady's "Tresemme" brand conditioner for brunettes rofl

i started with conditioner but the smell would make me nauseous. just smelling the stuff would start my pre-dive reflexes (bathroom etc..) ;)

i now use that hypoallergenic baby soap. works great, about 10:1. Martin Stepanek told me off and uses about the 1:4 that you mention. With the 10:1 i'm slipping around more than enough thanks!

...my good lady's "Tresemme" brand conditioner for brunettes rofl
Funny, that is the brand I use. It was on sale when I was in FL. My skin is always extremely soft after a day of diving too!

I've been told KY Gel works really well. Just water it down some. Probably not a good idea to use if you are swimming with high waist bottoms only, especially in a public pool, they may slip off instantaneously after that first push off the wall :rofl:

For the most part we just fill our suits with water... and then slip into them. I got worried about the environmental effects, and it actually went on smoother if we were just in the water anyways... Not to mention who knows what fish think about the soap scent. I guess its okay if you are a freediver and not a spearo...but anything that makes me stick out a little bit more Im keen on getting rid of. I wash my suit with a wetsuit shampoo...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT