• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Silly Question on Wetsuit Lube

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Water seems to work ok in a open cell but not in an open cell suit with any sort of lining eg titanium. I only worked this out a few days ago.

Hi there and good morning.
On speaking to a dive master on one of the visiting boats I was told the best lube to use and if I was brave enough to ask for it is 'Lambing Lube'
It essentially is the lubricant vets/farmers etc use when the animals are in labour to help pull the lamb/calf out.

It comes in litre bottles, non irritant and really is the slippiest stuff imaginable. The woman told me to dilute it 50/50 with water but as it goes so far I am just using neat.

Its absolutely fantastic stuff and makes my cressi sub (terrible construction) slide on with ease.

To get my suit off I use the traditional conditional/water mix and squirt it into my suit, in particular the jacket. This makes it somewhat easier to get it off as without you feel you're going to suffocate in it.

Cheers

Mabs

Attachments

• Speargear product photos 003.jpg
    Speargear product photos 003.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 173
I use conditioner mixed with hot water in a 750mm Powerade bottle

When diving in the winter I take a hot flask with me and pour about 400ml of hot water into the powerade bottle add a good squirt of conditioner, Then you can use the nozzle of the powerade bottle to squirt hot lube in the arms/legs then give a it a good swirl around, drain off the excess and put on.

There is a fine balence between too much and too little lube. Too little and you risk ripping your suit. Too much and the suit seems to flush more.

Phil
Auckland Freediving Club
http://www.aucklandfreediving.co.nz

I also use conditioner mixed with water (1:3) and have no skin issues/irritations so far. Easiest way to go, I was recommended that by David (Canis), the lector of FII courses. There was also another recommendation that I found pretty useful. Never use coconut scented stuff. It doesn't go well with... when you need to... cover your eye with your palm in the water. :D

I did use super-cheap Tesco Apple Shampoo (as the smell does not induce sickness!), very diluted. It seems to go much further & is cheaper than conditioner. I tried using a spray bottle but found using an old washing up liquid bottle to squirt it into the suit is quicker & easier.

One bottle lasted me years but now I need to get a new bottle of something. Might look for something more organic - shampoos often contain v. harsh chemicals like formaldehyde as preservatives. I think a lot/some of shampoos & shower gels use seaweed extract (from Carrageen?) to add thickness to the liquid -- perhaps something which is mainly seaweed extract would be the ideal?

I used greatly diluted Lidl's shower gel last season (super-cheap, maybe 32p a bottle) - it has no scent and is colourless.

Last edited:
Your answer is a couple posts above...

The fragrance and the solvants in conditioners and soap products are the worst things you can introduce to the rubber of your suit and by virtue of the close continued contact, with your skin.

Not that I'm doubting, lots of chemicals are rough on rubber, but how do you know those in conditioners, etc, are bad and in what ways?

Connor

The differences in the chemical makeup of the neoprene being a petroleum base and the many chemicals in conditioners being petroleum, plant or synthetic base became clear when after samples of rubber were immersed in the conditioners, shampoos and personal lubricants. You could actually see the rubber swell, crack or generally degrade. A great deal of the wear also occured with the lined suits where the lining would shear from the base rubber.

Obviously this is all done in a lab, OK, my kitchen, but the testing was borne out with actual wear observed from several divers using several suits and then making observations. The seams were the first to go.

Just figure it this way- much like soap manufacturers don't recommend prolonged exposure to your skin or have to add compounds to offset the drying the chemicals cause, you want to have this between your suit and your skin? The soaps, detergents and fragrances are little more than solvents against the rubber and your skin.

Last edited:
I figured you had tested the stuff somehow. How did your lady react to turning her kitchen into an experimental chemistry lab?

Connor

Does anyone know what conditioner might be least bad for the environment? I always feel guilty dumping that slimy stuff right into the sea (I try to use biodegradable shampoo at home, but not sure it would work well as lube).

Conner- She's been gone for a while. I elected to start up the 'shop afterwards seeing as it was better than taking up drinking again.

The whole thing with using conditioners, be they organic or bio degradable or whatever is that they act as a solvant to the rubber. Try the SuitSlip lube. Like the website says, you don't like it, send it back and you get your $ back, zero questions, so you only have skin irritation and suit errosion to lose.

Last edited:
How is SuitSlip less of a solvent than organic conditioners, etc -- what's it made of?

Fortunately neoprene is quite resistant to oil based solvents -- it's used for shoe soles & sealing washers where exposure to oil must be handled. We've even seen wetsuit manufacturers suggest the use of mineral oil/baby oil (but then they don't necessarily want your suit to last forever:D).

Good point about not wanting detergents/soaps/conditioners on your skin for hours on end. I don't like the idea of this. But in practice I usually come our with lovely soft, clean skin and shiny hair:D. Some folk are real sensitive to chemicals though.

JennyWren, I'm thinking some kind of Carrageen (seaweed) and/or glycerol based gel might be safest/greenest approach(?). Both are edible. I bet there are companies/people out there just looking for new uses of seaweed -- just need them to find this thread:D.

Last edited:
Carrageen a perfect Wetsuit Lubricant?

Carrageen seems very promising as a potential wetsuit lubricant: seaweed-based, not harmful to rubber, lubricant, very cheap, sustainable, edible even,...

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chondrus_crispus]Chondrus crispus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] = E407 or E407b !

It's used as a condom lubricant - so presumably relatively harmless to (less resistant) latex rubber and sensitive skin! It even has some protective properties against disease.

This place sells it by the ton (is that $10 a ton?! Looks promising:)): carrageenan - carrageenan products manufacturers on alibaba.com :)

Last edited:
Re: Carrageen a perfect Wetsuit Lubricant?

Carrageen seems very promising as a potential wetsuit lubricant: seaweed-based, not harmful to rubber, lubricant, very cheap, sustainable, edible even,...

Chondrus crispus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia = E407 or E407b !

It's used as a condom lubricant - so presumably relatively harmless to (less resistant) latex rubber and sensitive skin! It even has some protective properties against disease.

This place sells it by the ton (is that $10 a ton?! Looks promising:)): carrageenan - carrageenan products manufacturers on alibaba.com :)

Well you got me thinking there X, not always a good idea before lunch, and when I should be working on my day job, but I discovered Chile is one of the worlds largest producers of Carrageen.

Not only that, but I called one bigger company, Gelymar and they have offered me some free samples. Apparently its a white powder that when diluted at just 0.5% in cold water produces a slippy mess like you would not believe. How about taking a thimble full of powder to the ocean and mixing with sea water instead of lugging pre-mixed lube around :)

I'll let you know when I have test piloted the goop.

BTW they also offered me a sample of Guar Gum powder, apparently equally good lube, I'll try that too...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
What about ky gel? it's water based, and you can dilute it so your suit doesn't fall off you when you roll off the boat, rofl only thing is it isn't cheap and doesn't last long.

Well you got me thinking there X, ... Chile is one of the worlds largest producers of Carrageen.

Not only that, but I called one bigger company, Gelymar and they have offered me some free samples. Apparently its a white powder that when diluted at just 0.5% in cold water produces a slippy mess like you would not believe. How about taking a thimble full of powder to the ocean and mixing with sea water instead of lugging pre-mixed lube around :)

I'll let you know when I have test piloted the goop.

BTW they also offered me a sample of Guar Gum powder, apparently equally good lube, I'll try that too...
Excellent Azapta:D Viva Chile! Seawater makes sense, even less contamination and less volume & weight to lug around. It hadn't occurred to me that you might mix it up at the beach:cool: [I guess I normally change at the car & I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that some (but not all) carragen needs to be mixed with hot/warm water. I guess a flask could take care of that - and I usually take one or two of those anyway.:)]

I laughed in the face of broseidon when he turned up using aqueous cream. After trying it though, it is easily th best lub I have used as I no longer get itchy skin after a few days of use caused by soap lubes. Only downside is looking like you have received a pre-dive facial from your dive partner.
Posted via Mobile Device

Excellent Azapta:D Viva Chile! Seawater makes sense, even less contamination and less volume & weight to lug around. It hadn't occurred to me that you might mix it up at the beach:cool: [I guess I normally change at the car & I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that some (but not all) carragen needs to be mixed with hot/warm water. I guess a flask could take care of that - and I usually take one or two of those anyway.:)]

cold water must be used according to info I have. They called to say the samples are ready, will try next week. Now where is that white lab coat of mine?

Reactions: sunfish
I read a news story about a gloopy bath gel recently, I think it is probably this stuff: Gelicity Spa Jelly Bath - buy at Firebox.com
I wondered if it might use carrageen. Apparently it keeps the bath warm 3x longer than normal but you have to add a special chemical to get it to go down the plug-hole. :D

By the way, anybody tried anti-Swine Flu handwash as a wetsuit lube? A colleague rates it as a pre-shave lotion when using an electric razor. I believe it uses glycerol, as the gel lubricant, and alcohol as the disinfectant.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT