• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skin for Dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I humbly confess to not probably being all that discriminating - since I am still working on equalizing to get deeper. But the suit was VERY fast. Best was diving with no weights but I did some horizontal sprints and glides. There was no pooling as I encountered with my size 7 orca equip - I felt water along the zipper, but nothing coming in anywhere yet no restriction on breathing. The thing with these suits is it is hard to see how they would last very long - but there is no doubt I felt like I was swimming between the water. (oh, and by the way - that is an AERIS F.10 on my wrist...And what a nice looking, and tastefully coordinated, Tropol monofin :)

Last edited:
I have been wanting to try/buy a Speedo LZR but it is super expensive.
These are not allowed in swimming competitions anymore in 2010, and prices are going down rapidly now, even 500€ -> 100 €. I ordered it yesterday from a local Speedo e-shop, 100€ + postal costs 7,5€. It's this top-model from another Speedo-store, but I put this one link (320 £= about 350 €), cause here the texts are in English: http://store.speedo.co.uk/webapp/wc...ct6_10151_10202_85906_-1_35002_33311_Y_85913#

So there is now some months a good chance for freedivers to get these at a reasonable price, before these high tech swimming suits will dissappear from shops (forever?). But in some shops it's still over 300 €, so some searching will save money. I fact, men are allowed to use in swimming competitions 2010- only normal short (speedos) or waist-to-knee suits known as jammers:
http://reachforthewall.com/2009/07/24/suit-story/?hpid=artslot

Of course swimming suits (like LZR) are not so warm and I don't know how many times they can be used in freediving use. Top class swimmers use them maybe just in 1-2 competitions, cause then the suit is not anymore so perfect to them than a brand new. I think it's more a competition suit than a training suit also to freedivers. Tri-suit materials (Orca etc) are stronger, so having longer life time than swimming suits. But 100 € is not so high price like 500 € absolutely is. I got last winter Orca RS1 also at just little over 100 € from GBritain, so suit sales are worth checking.
------
Edit
I found this from another thread:
i own two pairs of ying fa sharkskin full leg suits and i can say they gave me a good feeling the first 4-5 times i wore them
now they wear much less tight and give a different feeling

So after testing it a high tech swimming suit maybe better first save to competitions. After that you can use it as a training suit. I've have understood that Speedo LZR should be better and stronger than Ying fa, but how much in practise, i don't know.

Orca etc. is not that limited, when you think how many times you can wear it in trainings (especially before competitions) and in competitions. Orca RS1 is very good, only problem to me has been that neck part, but with a neck weight no water has gone inside. Without a neck weight situation is much worse. In fact I can't use it in DYN without a neck weight for that reason (I have some ideas to fix it though).

Last edited:
One of Orca's new freediving suits will have some type of hood to prevent water influx. It was designed based on some issues Will Trubridge reported to them. The design is unusual and I can't really picture it based on the description but it should solve the neck influx problem.

The blue suit in the pic has virtually no insulating qualities. This was exactly what I was looking for and I found that by sitting on the raft for a bit, then jumping into the water, I was able to get a feeling that almost resembled something that might be described as 'coolness'.

Last edited:
I have been swimming my dynamics in a BlueSeventy Nero Comp suit lately which I like very much. For DNF I still use my Orca Apex2 because it gives me just that little bit extra glide, maybe it's because I need to wear 3kg more weights, but for DYN I prefer the NeroComp a lot. These suits take much less energy to move around in.

The person that I bought the suit from gives a great discount, which made me actually buy one for training and one for competitions. The price was about 60-70% of current retail price. PM me if you would like contact details...

cheers, Eric

Ok timmo and snigs but it still fits?Timmop and what about the glide in a lzr?bettr than orca rs?worth to buy?

thx for the info guys

@TimoP can you tell us the Website where you bought the Speedo for that cheap Price in Finland?

It was www.speedoshop.fi, and it's really in Finnish longwordlänguäge :D like this:
"SYYSTARJOUKSENA UIMA-ASUJA HUIPPUEDULLISESTI! Tilaa omasi!
Mm. Lazer Racer 100€/puku! Myös muita erikoistarjouksia kohdassa tarjoustuotteet"

I haven't get my suit yet (coming in next week, hopefully). And no idea how many they have, this is a small country if you think the number of people or swimmers. The store must have got them cheap from Speedo, so I think the price will go down elsewhere too, if not yet so.

It was a surprise to swimmers that also mens' skin leg swimsuits (from waist to ankles) are banned 2010 in swimming competitions. Less that 3 months time for that! Maybe prices of skin leg suits go down too, and maybe harder to find them next year.

Last edited:
This is the right: www.speedoshop.fi
Some of these in super sale now:
http://www.speedoshop.fi/productlist.aspx
Male FS-Pro legskin pic must be wrong (BTW it's only 65€ ! it used to be over 250 €). Other pics seems to be ok.

------
Edit:
There is this text: "Toimitusalue: Toimitamme tilauksia vain Suomessa."
meaning they sell to Finland only, no posting elsewhere. Maybe they have a that kind of deal with manufactures.

I think there must be, or will be soon, cheap elsewhere, too.

What i've heard, high tech swimming suits are good in DYN, and CWT if really warm water. That's because of the speed, streamlining and body movements in these disciplines. In CWT also 'no buoyancy change' is a big advantage.

The tightness is the thing that chances, when you wear it several time. In freediving this chance and it's importance is probably not that big than it is to top class swimmers.

Last edited:
Interesting video to freedivers about drag and friction in the water, especially check 0:50 and 1:28:

And a video how to measure the size and put it on (2 persons for the zip...):

Also in USdollars going cheaper, one LZR example:
Before $550.00 |now (14th Oct 2009) $175.00

And there seems to be a lot of LZRs left: just in one e-store there was almost 100 LZRs today. Some stores really want to get rid of them before 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a little homework and found out the suit I have is indeed the same one Natalia and others used at at the indoor comp in Denmark. As already noted Orca tells me this is an experimental suit. It is the most wonderful and comfortable freediving suit I have ever used. I am neutral at about 15m with it - so no weights and it feels like swimming 'between' the water. It is awesome that Orca is working on suits just for freedivers! I hope the suit lasts until I can get back to warm water again.

You can see the suits, along with some interesting blackouts, in this video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R03cW06wiMA]YouTube - Freediving World Championship 2009 in Aarhus, Denmark[/ame]

And me in it here. muahahahah

IMG_1717.jpg

Last edited:
Fondueset - looks like your legs are a bit far apart.

I have one of those blue suits, great except that it bunches up around the shoulders when I streamline. Gotta get it tightened up somehow. Other than that, I do think there's something to be said for a full-body suit in DYN.

Gosh, THANKS Dave - what an ASTUTE observation. :)

Trux, You're just jealous of my special powers.

I didn't get any bunching on my suit - probably because its so tight it feels like it was sprayed on.

Last edited:
Why exactly?
What I got from him was straight after his big blackout in the DYN, so he was less than pleased at the time. He felt that drag was significantly higher (maybe a poor fit) and he was doing more kicks per length and slower lengths because of it.

I heard he was getting quite a lot of water rushing down his back, which ballooned the suit out a bit. That's the problem I had too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT