• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skin for Dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mattbigblue

Limitless - Mateusz 'Matt' Malina
Nov 7, 2008
What suits, skins are You using for Dynamic Apnea training and competition?
What are You thinking about Speedo Aquablade or FSII skins? or Cressi Glaros or Glaros Shorty. Are thoose kind of skins warm when You spend a lot of time in water each session?? or is it better to use Elios 3mm?

Personally I tried doing DYN/DNF in a 3mm wetsuit, but it was simply too warm for me and I could not stand it for more than 5 minutes. Well, it is quite individual - others use 3mm suits without problems. And of course it also depends on the temperature of water in your pool, so it is really difficult to tell you what is the best for you.

I recently bought (after researching DB for different opinions) an Orca RS1 1.5 mm triathlon wetsuit. I tested it for the first time this week, and although I did not yet make any comparative tests (max attempts, or numbers of strokes with and without it), the subjective feeling was very positive. It keeps me sufficiently warm, without overheating me, it glides perfectly, and does not limit the movements at all (I feel as free as if I had no suit at all). On the other hand, in DYN/DNF I am rarely getting cold even without any suit, and I decided for the wetsuit more because I wanted to improve the glide, than for the thermal protection.

What suits, skins are You using for Dynamic Apnea training and competition?
What are You thinking about Speedo Aquablade or FSII skins? or Cressi Glaros or Glaros Shorty. Are thoose kind of skins warm when You spend a lot of time in water each session?? or is it better to use Elios 3mm?

I'm using glaros shorty especially for the warming reasons. Water itself in our pool is warm enough (about 27.5 deg. of Celsius) but we have a strong wind on one side of the pool caused by air condition. So a lot of people in our team use shortys for protection.

Short glaros is not bad in speeds around 1m/s, when swimming faster then water starts to leak into the suit around neck and under arms. Overall I'm very satisfied with this suit, I'm not very fast swimmer. :)

Kimmo Lahtinen did some suits testing, you can read it here:

Freediving experience: Good suit for the pool competitions

had some really good feedbacks from friends using orca 1mm or 1.5mm, so i might quote trux
i own two yingfa legskins, but stil don't have any comparison between wearing them or not

After reading so many articles, and forums, i`ll probably buy Orca Apex 2, but i still have some doubts. With this skin i have to wear ~8kg, I swim with hyperfin, with 2 kick and glide style, there is some momentum in glide phase, bot not as many as in DNF. What do You think about it?

Matt

I chose Orca's RS1 over the Apex 2, because it is from thinner neoprene - being so more stretchy, limiting less your motion, while keeping great feeling of the water flow, and not warming you too much (I can't stand training in a 3mm wetsuit in a swimming pool). Besides it, it is also much cheaper. The increased buoyancy would be the last I'd be afraid of - quite in contrary - the added weight will help you gaining more momentum, and glide further at each turn.

Last edited:
If you're considering an apex2, reconsider based on the Alpha. It may well be my next purchase.

The RS1 is a good suit for DYN and CWT - just make sure it is a tight fit though, especially if you are going to be monofinning in it. That neoprene is very stretchy and you need to make sure the neck seal can't crease when you streamline.

yep Dave, I would go with RS1 full sleeves but at the moment, I can`t get it anywhere in my size(there is only size 5 or 6 available)

I have done a lot of ocean dives without any suit, as well as the RS1 SwimSkin (0.5mm), and I tried the 1mm Orca Alpha prototype (basically the same as the RS1 1mm). The alpha/RS1 1mm is my favourite suit. The only thing is that it does not offer the same level of muscle compression that a thicker suit like the Apex2 offers.

I have been wanting to try/buy a Speedo LZR but it is super expensive.

I can definitely say that bare skin offers very poor hydrodynamics. The RS1/alpha feels almost like no suit, with some extra thermal protection, and excellent hydrodynamics. That's what I'll be using at VB 2009.

I do not think that Alpha and RS1 are basically the same. Alpha uses relatively thick core neoprene, while RS1 is made in uniform thickens 1 mm (some sources speak about 1.5 mm). But more importantly, while a full sleeve RS1 costs typically around $240 (and I saw offers for $179), the Alpha costs $650. For me it is rather prohibitive price, because I do not expect the rather fragile wetsuit to hold longer than 2 seasons (if I am careful).

Last edited:
Eirc, Trux
Orca RS1 FS Wetsuit

is is the suit You are talking about?
I guess You have some experience in buying it, can You give me an advice?
I`m 187cm tall, 106cm chest, and 87kg, should i go with size 8 according to size guide?

Last edited:
Eirc, Trux
Orca RS1 FS Wetsuit

is is the suit You are talking about?
I guess You have some experience in buying it, can You give me an advice?
I`m 187cm tall, 106cm chest, and 87kg, should i go with size 8 according to size guide?
Ignore the sizing; you have to try the suits on for fit (even if you'll buy online anyway).

Trux: I believe that Eric was talking about the Alpha concept suit they made with thin neoprene. I'm not sure it went into production. Also, I think you should shop around for the Alpha; our local swim shop has them for NZ$725, or nearly half the price you quote.

The swimming Alphas have 1.5mm Yamamoto #40 SCS Nano (which I'd never heard of) in the chest, shoulders and arms, 4mm from stomach to mid thigh and 3mm everywhere else from what I could see. Feel free to correct me if you've got better info.

Ignore the sizing; you have to try the suits on for fit (even if you'll buy online anyway).
I've bought mine without testing and it fits perfectly. It looked very small when I received it, but it is so stretchy that you can't go easily wrong. Though of course, if you have the chance to test several of them, it is certainly better. The body fit is no problem - I've let my suit tested by a guy who is much smaller and it fitted fine too. The only problem could be the collar, as Dave wrote. I am a very slow bi-fin swimmer, so do not care that much about it.

Trux: I believe that Eric was talking about the Alpha concept suit they made with thin neoprene. I'm not sure it went into production.
Is it this one?: http://www.onetri.com/product_info.php?products_id=3735
It is in plenty online stores, but I see it nowhere below ~$660 (USD) :(

Also, I think you should shop around for the Alpha; our local swim shop has them for NZ$725, or nearly half the price you quote.

Well, you won't find Orcas here in Europe easily. And if, then they usually cost rather the double of the US prices. I've bought mine in the USA for ~$220 (+ $50 shipping) but got charged by the customs another 75€ ($100). Couple of guys in our club are interested in it too, so I contacted Orca in NZ, but they sent me just to their EU distributor, who won't even speak to me, and just gave me list of dealers. And of course, I did not find the suits at any of them. They are all basically bicycle shops (main business of the EU distributor), and do not have the wetsuits on stock. Of course, they can order them, but usually for higher price than you find on the web. And since you cannot test it anyway, it has no big advantage ordering it through them (except of easier warranty and eventual exchange).

Last edited:
BTW, the less expensive Orca RS1 that I found is here for $186 (USD): Men's Orca RS1 FULLSKN

You can find the sleeveless version considerably cheaper.

Perhaps I should try looking for it in New Zealand online stores, but even if it is cheaper there, I am afraid the shipping would make it similarly expensive anyway.

EDIT: I just tried, but found just three NZ online stores with Orca wetsuits, and only one of them has the RS1 full-sleeve neoprene version, but they sell in USD for the same price as most US stores ($250 USD). The other stores have only the sleevless SwimSkin (non-neoprene) version.
http://templetonsupply.com/store/shop.php?c=Apparel&n=11056111&i=B0018ZDF4O&x=Orca_RS1_FS_Wetsuit

And this store has the Alpha wetsuit for $850 NZD (~$450 USD or 350€), which is indeed quite a bit cheaper than the $660 in US stores:
http://www.swimt3.co.nz/wetsuitperformance.php (however, the product link under the Alpha photo points to a page where the Alpha is not listed anymore, so am not sure if you can really buy it)

Last edited:
Just my own experiences with the Orca RS 1:

- I managed to order a too small one. I first ordered a ML (medium long) as I´m tall (190 cm 80 kg - i figured it would stretch to fit as my other 3 mm tri suit). Managed to ligtly rip one seam trying to put it on (dry and with soapwater)

- Then ordered a size 8 (Large long) which fits ok. However it takes in water through the neck seal when I´m streamlined in DYN. So based on that I can only recommend it for DNF.

-J

Thanks, Eric, indeed it is two times cheaper than what I bought it for! Do you remember what you paid for the shipping? And how is it with VAT when ordering in EU? I never understand how it works among EU countries. Sometimes they charge you VAT, sometimes not, sometimes you pay on delivery, which is very frustrating because in addition to the VAT, the parcel company or post charges you a "handling" fee for issuing the VAT, and it is often higher than the VAT (30-50€). Did you pay the VAT at the purchase or at delivery?

If I remember correctly they charged the price that is on their website which is I think including VAT + €12 for transportation, or €25 for 2 day delivery. We did the two day delivery because we ordered 5 Orca suits at once. Wiggle.co.uk has no transportation cost over some amount. You'll have to check...

Looks good, but unfortunately Sigma has the RS1 in size 5 only (small), and Wiggle does not have it at all. The RS1 at Sigma is at clearance sale price of £103 (125€), so it looks like they already cleared the stock, and will sell only the new and more expensive Orca suits. Alpha costs £399 (450€) there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT