• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Skin for Dynamics

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am 175cm, 64kg, 105cm chest, about 90 waist after christmass and have L size aqualung freedive. Happy with it. No water around my neck thanks velcro. Only a little bit loose around calf. And small rips under/behind armpit from the first pool sessions. There are perpendicular to seam and 3 to 20 mm long. After half year I have them over 20. Maybe it cause pool edges and resting position. Once a month I glue them but they cannot be completely repaired by me. Too much stress in this part? I dont know. I like these suit overall.

Sorry, size M is mine. Regular fit, not tight. I cannot imagine me in SM - no freedom, no free.

Reactions: xbuster
I just got a bit confused. I'm 187 cm tall and 82-85 kg (depending on season) chest 105 cm, waist 94 cm. I want regular (not tight fit) regarding Aqualung sport Freediving should I choose ML or L?
I would definitely go for L. My chest circumference is 99cm and L is only slightly too loose for me.

Reactions: xbuster
So my Aquasphere Winter Aquaskin arrived yesterday and it fits me perfectly. It seems tight enough without being uncomftable.
Today i will have the chance to test it in the pool. Will provide some thoughts on that here.

Maybe it is helpful for someone reading this at a later point in time:
my data: height 185cm, waist 80, chest 93, 71kg. The wetsuit is size M.

Size recommendation for Aqualung sport freediving suit: I am 186 cm 75 kg, so looking at the sizing table, according to my height I should have L or even XL, but by weight I should have the M/L. Been reading lots of previous size recommendation. Matt Malina is bigger and heavier than me, and thinks size M is perfect for him, but he prefers very tight suits. Other recommendations seem to point towards M/L for my size. Tried a L size last Sunday, and it was a good fit, maybe a little more room than needed in the upper arms, I'm not to muscular... So picking M/L will give a tighter suit, this will give better glide. But it will also be shorter in the legs I suppose, and expose more of my lower leg without suit, which should add some drag, since suite is much better than (hairy) skin... And the M/L will probably wear somewhat faster, being tighter. Hard choice. Anyone care to make a recommendation? Perhaps it is mostly performace vs comfort here?

Oh, and also I wonder if the statement @mattbigblue made about the Elios option being terrible is only the hood reducing the dive response? Or do you also think it would glide worse than the options you mention? Won't get one, just curios, have a friend who uses a Elios 1.5 mm for pool and he does 25 m in one pushoff and one stroke, so glide is pretty good it seems.

To the list above I would add:
Orca Free, Orca Breathe and Epsealon Abbyss.

Elios 1,5mm is terrible, especially with the hood which reduces Your dive response.

Hi, I have size M and I am 190 cm 75 kg, and M fits well. In your case, I would not care for the suit being a bit shorter at arms and legs, this should really be negligible. More important that it sits tight on the body. I would recommend to take M/L, or even M, but not L.
cheers!

Reactions: osksa
Just tried in the pool the Aqualung sport Freediving suit I bought. Size L. It fits perfectly! I'm pretty muscular chest , legs and arms. It's a good fit, no water comes inside. Thank you guys for the advice, I'm sure that M/ML would be to small for me.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Ok, bought the Aqualung sport freediving size M/L. Choose to return it after trying it at home. (return was 35 euro... ouch) Fit was generally good, only slightly short in arms and legs, but that no problem. The deal-breaker for me was that the torso was not tall enough, it felt too tight in the crotch. Like I was wearing a g string! =))) Not nice. I don't really get how @Scorp at 190 cm could be comfortable in size M, but length of torso can vary, as can the feeling... =) Strange thing is that a guy that has exactly my height and weight and ordered the size L said the same thing: Cuts into the crotch too much. And on the loose side otherwise. =( Any advice on good pool suits with fit for skinny guys?

IMG_20180424_203825_LI.jpg

Last week a couple of guys from my club received their new suits for dynamics and, even though we are few people, I realized that we have now a huge variety of amazing suits at play.

Suits at my club are: Salvimar Fluyd Zeero (0,5mm), Aqualung Sport (1,5mm), Topstar (0,5mm), Orca TRN Thermo (2mm) and Orca Breathe (2mm), this last one being mine.

I will be happy to ask my buddies about specifics on their suits and here goes my takeaways for the moment:

• The Salvimar is suuuuper thin. I have never seen anything quite like it. It goes to a point where you question why to wear a suit at all. Benefits from this? I guess super flexibility and no impact on floatability. We'll see how much time it lasts without a tear...
  • I'm glad I picked the Orca Breathe, for I think it is the best of them all. I was surprised when I received it by how much attention Orca pays to detail. This is something I don't see in the other suits/manufacturers. Quality in details such as the zip, velcro, reinforcement at the shoulders and legs make the difference... It doesn't matter. If only it was for the sealing of the neck, it would still win.
  • I was surprised also by the Aqualung. Being Matt's DNF record done on this suit, you would expect a suit up to par. It seems very generic, yet good enough to fulfill the needs of a pro. Then again, I have not tested this suit myself so I don't have a feel for wearability, glide and so on.
  • Topstar I dunno. Here you can see my buddy Olivier going at it. He was using previously a Cressi Swim and was surprised when he needed the same amount of weight for this new suit. He was expecting to go lighter. Floatability didn't change, but I think it helped him on reducing a stroke-kick cycle. Back to the Salvimar... It is impossible they are both 0,5mm! I don't believe it, hahaha!
Last Sunday I did my PB at DNF with 108m. Take a look if you want. I'm sure I could optimize much more and reduce a full cycle to each length.

Reactions: osksa
I'm very tempted to get an Orca Breathe. But what puts me off somewhat is that it does not have neoprene smoothskin on the arms, but a nylon stretch fabric. From what I understand, a smooth surface should glide far better than a textured one. But I'm not sure how big the difference would be in practice. After all, the position of the body probably accounts for 97 % of drag. But comparing two perfectly streamlined bodies, how much difference would it be? Did anyone do glide testing with the Orca Free and the Orca Breathe? I fear no one has, due to the cost of the Free (500 USD). Or maybe @mattbigblue has tested som push offs in pool with both? =)

Unfortunately I never had Orca Breathe to compare and I also use Orca Free mostly for depth.

Not to mention the differences in price tags as well. Aquasphere can be bought for around 175e and Orca is quite pricey. The rest from the list I haven't tried.

I've had (still have) TYR speedsuit up to this year. I know it's not that good for DNF. It lasted for couple of years, used it only for competitions. It started to wear off so I knew I had to find a replacement.

Eventually I bought Aquasphere, size M. I'm 183cm, 78kg. As osksa mentioned, I also have an impression that torso could be a bit longer. The rest of the suit is tight, but I think it's just about right. It didn't add too much too my neck weight. Less than 500g for sure.

All in all, it's completely different when you have variety of choice and money is irrelevant. But if you're pursuing to purchase a wetsuit on a budget, I think that Aquasphere is a decent choice. I have to object the overall build quality. A friend from our club used it 3 times a week for every training, after 4-5 months the suit already needed patches and fixing. But if you use it only for competitions and long dives, I guess it can last significantly longer.

Eventually I bought Aquasphere,
Um, I bought the Aqualung sport freediving suit, not the Aquasphere. Which one do you mean?

Unfortunately I never had Orca Breathe to compare and I also use Orca Free mostly for depth.
Bad luck! I'll just have to ask Georgina Miller who did the review for deeperblue!

There are some Orca Equip Lite from 2016 floating around, perhaps that is a choice too. If the rubber has not degraded already in two years from storing it...

What is really the problem with using the normal Orca Equip? Ok, it has 5 mm panels on the butt and legs, (Edit: Well I think so, can't find that info on the 2018 version but in 2016 it had according to a review.) Obviously we don't need that for dynamic freediving. But my Orca TRN has 4 mm panels, and I find it to work ok anyway. Just compensate with more lead. Done 200 m DYN with that suit. Of course, with soft neoprene that changes a lot in density in depth, it should be harder to maintain neutral boyancy. But other than that, what is the drawback? I could even make a case that thicker neoprene would have less tendency to "wobble" in the water on maximum push offs from the edges in DNF. You know the effect you see on slow motion camera on people swimming without a wetsuit. That is a major drag!

Last edited:
Hi, does anybody try some of these cheap alternatives to Aqualung freedive suit (men) ?
Cressi Triton 1,5mm
Seacsub Aqua 1,5mm
Salvimar Fluid RISE 1,5mm
Mares Apnea Instinct 17

I am seeking for something long-lasting (pool DYN training 2xweek). Broad shoulders. I dont want use thinner neoprene.I guess, my Aqualung F. will not survive to 3rd season. Today I was pathing 5cm tear and few 3cm more under armpit. Slowly thinking about new suit. Maybe sleevless as Sailfish Edge ? But I need it also once a year for egypts depths.

Thanks for an advice and have a good glide.

Hi, does anybody try some of these cheap alternatives to Aqualung freedive suit (men) ?
Cressi Triton 1,5mm
Seacsub Aqua 1,5mm
Salvimar Fluid RISE 1,5mm
Mares Apnea Instinct 17

I am seeking for something long-lasting (pool DYN training 2xweek). Broad shoulders. I dont want use thinner neoprene.I guess, my Aqualung F. will not survive to 3rd season. Today I was pathing 5cm tear and few 3cm more under armpit. Slowly thinking about new suit. Maybe sleevless as Sailfish Edge ? But I need it also once a year for egypts depths.

Thanks for an advice and have a good glide.
Hello Jackin,

I think you're possibly trying to get too much out of one suit. The most robust suit I've owned is the Nabaiji Open Water 1mm suit that I've had now for over three years and it is still in good condition and is ideal for pool training and I've used it in competition too. It's not an Aqualung Freedive but then it hasn't split or torn and at £70 (UK) it's a fraction of the price of any alternative you could get for the pool.

If you want something to occasionally use for depth... buy a suit for depth. You might consider that more expensive in the short term but you'll get better use out of both in the long run. :)

Philip

Last edited:
If you want something to occasionally use for depth... buy a suit for depth. You might consider that more expensive in the short term but you'll get better use out of both in the long run. :)

Philip

+1 for the advice. Separate suits for depth and pool.

thanks guys i will think about it. it looks like i need one cheap suit for training soon (freedive suit has lot of cold water income under armpits and from other rips to stay warm in the end of session even under high speeds/load). second one for pool competitions (this old one is enough for 10min. in the pool for max DYN attempt) and third one for depth. probably eliossub 2mm heiwa/daiwabo/yamamoto i dont know yet. my new one 5mm scs nanoskin yamamoto elios will arrive in few weeks and there is no budget this year for another one except cheap suit for pool training. something durable (no smoothskin under armpit because i have dol-fin orca and hangs a lot over pool edges which no suit stands i think), warm 1-2mm (5kg lead acctually 1.5mm) and with nice glide for good feelings and happiness. it is also important. not for max. distance but for mental health. you are not happy when there is no glide. like snowboarding on artificial snow. or macdonalds burgers.

I'm looking for a new wetsuit for pool training and competition.
What are the current top recommendations? I'm guessing Orca Pure/Free/Breathe are still some of the best suits?
Any thoughts on the Aquasphere Aquaskin (newly updated to V3)? Its 1.5 mm, blind-stitched and is also available as a "shorty" (no arms, short legs).
By the way - what are your experiences of using longjohns/shortys and the like for training and competition?

I have the aqua skin v1 and v2. None of the zip-up-the-back suits fit me perfectly - everyone I've used flushes down the back to one degree or other (I think the Orcas probably correct this, and I cannot speak to how they fit other than having tried a very early breathe). I use the v1 for pool training and the v2 for warm open water. I really like them both. The v1 can still be had on Amazon in the states for $99 us. The V3 does not seem available here but looks to be slightly thinner neoprene than the v2 - even better for pool.

I have the aqua skin v1 and v2. None of the zip-up-the-back suits fit me perfectly - everyone I've used flushes down the back to one degree or other (I think the Orcas probably correct this, and I cannot speak to how they fit other than having tried a very early breathe). I use the v1 for pool training and the v2 for warm open water. I really like them both. The v1 can still be had on Amazon in the states for $99 us. The V3 does not seem available here but looks to be slightly thinner neoprene than the v2 - even better for pool.
Thanks for sharing! The Aquaskin V3 should be available at https://www.swiminn.com/simning/aquasphere-aquaskin-v3/137941258/p and https://www.wiggle.se/aqua-sphere-aquaskin-v3-wetsuit. The thickness seems be the same for "2.0" and "V3" - 1.5 mm according to the descriptions I can find. Don't really know if they changed anything at all except the design (V3 looks way cooler IMO).

I see that. When I bought mine there was some confusion about whether is was 1.5 or 2. I see the suit at Swiminn - but cannot see the price (not available for shipping here). The big advantage of these suits, to me, is the price. I burn through a pool suit in about 18 months. I will say the quality overall is better on the 2.0 compared with the 1.0. Really nice neoprene. I expect the 3.0 is fully as good.

Attachments

• bhcmup.jpg
    bhcmup.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 257
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT