• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

sled diving within AIDA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Should AIDA hold a Special Assembly/Referendum on sled freediving?

• Yes

Votes: 66 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 46 38.3%
  • Don't Mind

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understand you have no interest to communicate with AIDA, but I think it is important that it is at least reported to them, and that they decide for themselves whether to look at it closer or no.

Who am I to make recommendations, I'm not even a member. This way I address probably more people to whom it might matter, more quickly. I also don't need anymore paperwork, I've plenty of my own, thank-you very much. By the way, I think that if AIDA and other organizations aren't monitoring the air-waves of forums like this one, they're likely to be doing themselves a great dis-service; I've actually learned plenty here, tuning-in now and then. And, I don't see a need to direct myself to yet another character who keeps having to justify their value or place in the world by quoting to me their title, qualifications, performances, or anything else for that matter....it such a pathetic crutch and display of insecurity. I'm more interested in substance and the metal of a person.

Nothing to do with anything: though I might plug someone. If you're in SE-Asia (Amed, Bali) go see Matt (apneista.com) for a freedive. All round nice guy and not flaky....but then he's Irish I suppose.

Last edited:
Well, I can do it instead of you. That's why I am asking whether you do not have some specific data backing the claims.

Well, I can do it instead of you. That's why I am asking whether you do not have some specific data backing the claims.

The abstract has been submitted to the MRI conference in Colorado and will be available in March; the article sooner I expect. There are procedures for this and we have to abide. But: 1 degree in 1', at FRC, no hyperventilation, no face stimulation; we stopped at physiological break-point, just under 2'. Heart rate nothing new.... slow. Breathing: 3 degrees in about 10', felt cold but comfortable, under influence of torpor trigger; breathing rate, < 2 breaths period minute; afterwards, slurred speech, some shivering. Core warmed pretty quickly but remained cold in periphery for maybe 1 hr afterwards

Last edited:
---- The important thing is that supply must be matched to demand, otherwise you'll get reperfusion injury once that blood re-enters those previously rendered vasoconstricted tissues.
----- a bit off subject but this line and a few others got me thinking about and even concerned about sport supplements. say in this case of reperfusion injury as blood re-enters vasocontricted tissue and lets say you are taking something like 1.3 dimethylamylamine (common in many sport supplements)and u have higher than normal vasoconstriction how might this complicate things or would it not matter cause u are starting with the higher rate and its just a higher constant? or any number of things that might boost atp production etc. once u start chemically altering you're physiology does that not throw a wrench into these issues. wondering has anyone looked at this when looking at accidents it doesn't take a lot to mess with how you're body functions and with completely legal common stuff and if you were looking at something from the perspective of natural physiology but the reality is chemically altered ?. vasoconstriction stuck out cause the fda is currently working to ban 1.3 and I've used that stuff. Gave most that stuff up and went more natural when i moved to hawaii so more just curious---benefits?---very real dangers?----very stupid question?

occurred to me I should clarify those last few sentences. I whent through a sup lament phase and played around with allot of stuff-in no way am i implying they are a cause of known accidents or accusing anyone of taking anything don't' want this to turn into one of those lets guess who's doping threads. just curious about the chemical role in some of these topics

occurred to me I should clarify those last few sentences. I whent through a sup lament phase and played around with allot of stuff-in no way am i implying they are a cause of known accidents or accusing anyone of taking anything don't' want this to turn into one of those lets guess who's doping threads. just curious about the chemical role in some of these topics

All that I'm doing is triggering & accelerating torpor....things are homeostatically regulated, i.e., not out of wack. Cardiac output, bradycardia, vasoconstriction, BP, breathing, & temperature are in synch. Torpor is self-sustained & auto-regulated.

thanks that was my main curiosity (the auto regulation) and weather or not chemicals might negate that.

As per usual, its seems the doctors confuse terms so that they can't make heads or tails of it.

Hypothermia involves a loss of ability to thermoregulate. In other words, you cannot come out of it on your own. During this state, you WILL inevitably adopt environmental temperature. Below about 30C you become unconscious. To be used effectively, it has to be regulated and controlled by external input.

In torpor (hibernation, aestivation, diving, brummation, burrowing, etc.) the temperature drop is not one that involves hypothermia, i.e., you can still thermoregulate and re-warm on your own, irrespective of what the environment is doing; your are after all not a reptile or fish! This can be achieved because the temperature set-point (37C) drops. In other words, you are thermoneutral, albeit at a lower temperature. A better term would be bradythermia or anapyrexia. Anyway, these are all just conceptual constructs that people all too often cling to, which limits their understanding and excludes possibilities and opportunities.

This Japanese fella, may have entered a torpid state, but unless he was really fat when he went in, he would have inevitably entered a hypothermic state. Indeed, a core temperature of 22C and unconsciousness indicates that this is so. For an (adult) human the lower critical limit of torpor temperature is about 30C; this is related to our body size,and smaller animals can tolerate lower temperatures. At 22C he would not have been able to come out of it on his own. This is not to say human life can't exist at such temperatures, just that you can sustain it very long. If you can't come out of it on your own, you're toast. And, in fact, many hibernating animals never come out of it,including bears, if temperature remains depressed and their fat stores run out before environmental temperatures raise again. Furthermore, he didn't have to drink because his MET was really low and fats can convert to maintain body water also.

Last edited:
Biosphere's stuff was really ground-breaking, but the politics ruined things somewhat; the subjects were also hungry! In hibernation, appetite is suppressed.
Therapeutic hypothermia has lots of problems with it, including increased infection rates, & it suppresses even neuroprotective pathways. MET reduction is very limited. Though somewhat useful, you cannot expect to apply and ice-cube approach and expect great results.
Torpor is a fully self-regulated state....no half-baked measures & no known adverse side effects.

Last edited:
Very, very interesting!

How far did you manage to bring down your temperature? How long did you need to reach that? can you do it effectively without your 'device'?
Did you have a global body temperature drop, or was it different for different parts?

Can you teach the mortals in a course how to (optimise) their torpor ability?

Is Wim Hof (aka the Iceman) doing a bit of the opposite of what you're doing with torpor?

I guess you should start asking a small fee for all the answers to the avalanche of questions!

Have a really nice Christmas and new year, may you get a better chance with your exhale NL project!

1 degree every 5' .... whilst breathing.

It can be done, but its much slower and not possible under particular environmental conditions, unless you rely on caloric restriction. There may be other triggers....looking at that also.

Coldest at periphery.

There is nothing immortal......we are all programmed with the genetic blueprint

He, like another fella I know of, raise body temp. I don't think that its been established how, but I think its by relying on non-shivering thermogenesis, i.e, BAT.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT