• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Small inner diameter rubber / shaft configurations

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

portinfer

Aquatic shopper...
Jul 3, 2003
Thought I'd start a thread on small inner diameter rubber for speargun bands and shaft configurations.

I'm mostly interested in smaller guns from 7oomm of band stretch to 1120mm of band stretch.

I don't use guns above that and there is a lot of info on bigger bands/shaft configuration on the spearboard forum.

Sooo...

115cm / 6.25mm
I have this shaft in a gun with 790mm of band stretch. Salvimar shaft.
Currently using a single 16.5mm rubber (Cressi S45?...).

Works well, quite a skinny gun. Probably won't change to double 14mm small ID rubber.

120cm / 6.5mm
This is a Hunt shaft in a wooden gun (current build) with more mass than than the gun above.
950mm of band stretch.
I'm going to try double 14mm bands.

Looking around I can get the following :
Cressi Pure Brown 14mm
Sigalsub Reactive 14.5mm
Sigalsub Extreme 13mm or 14.5mm

It looks like Primeline makes these rubbers as well as its own rubber (appear to be just 3 manufacturers of rubber - Primeline, Dunlap, Kent)?

Anyway, for these smaller guns with shafts from 6mm to 7mm and spear shafts from 115cm to 130cm what combinations of rubber and shafts have worked for you and also what definitely doesn't ?

Was going to get 3m of Cressi Pure Brown 14mm - good idea ?

Last edited:
I’m on the exact setup that (Pathos 82cm gun w. 125cm, 6,75mm shaft x 2 14mm Primeline small ID rubbers now @ 370-ish stretch) Majd demonstrates in this vid.

I can’t say this setup has let me down. The numerous fuckups is entirely cus of me being such a noob. ;)

Reactions: portinfer
115cm / 6.25mm
I have this shaft in a gun with 790mm of band stretch. Salvimar shaft.
Currently using a single 16.5mm rubber (Cressi S45?...).

Works well, quite a skinny gun. Probably won't change to double 14mm small id rubber.

I have a similar sized Seatec Snake and changed the bands from 16 mm to 14,5 small id 340% stretch. With slight increased range and easier loading. I am not going back it works really well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: portinfer
That is an interesting video sub sub! I hadn't seen that one before. So from that info I guess I should have gone for a 120cm/6.75mm shaft.

The Hunt shaft I got (120cm/6.5mm) does look very good but the flopper is on top rather than under and there is no cone. Both of these are meant to improve accuracy from what I understand.

I think the longer Hunt shafts come with the flopper under and cones...

Kodama - good info, is that a single or double 14.5mm?

Good info.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT