• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Snorkels

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Simon Reid

Jan 22, 2003
So, I saw and bought this Beuchat spearo snorkel. It looks the part, a wide bore, no frills, "J" snorkel. The mouthpiece unfortunately tastes so foul that I can't bear to persist with it. I thought it might be the mould release stuff that was so awful so put it in a jug with a mild detergent for a few days. It was fine until it dried out and was used again. Horrid, like sucking on an old car tyre, not that I suggest anyone actually do this to experience it! So I put it in the dishwasher thinking the evil detergent used in these machines will definitely sort it out. Wrong! It still tastes vile. Before I hurl this lovely looking and very promising but hideously tasting thing into the sea for Neptune to use, has anyone got any ideas on how to cure it's problem. Maybe I should just stop being a wimp and suffer it.

Swap it out for a different mouthpiece? is it permentently attached?
I really like the USD/Apeks mouth peices. have that funky palette thingy.

Willer

What if you soaked in tequilla overnite?
Then it would taste like a margarita when you dove in the ocean.;)

Jon

Hi Simon ,
Just curious : is it a "tub - air" ? That's my favourite snorkel . Constant use will get rid of the taste , eventually .:hmm

Yukky snorkel

Thanks guys for the suggestions:

Amphibious,

Permanently attached with a sort of heat shrink tape.

Jon,

Brilliant, I'll definately try that one, ;-)

Abriapnea,

Yes, the Tubair, and yes I agree it is a great snorkel to use, easy to purge as the bottom half of the "J" is so smooth in its curve. I thought I would just have to persist until all the evil poison was eventually washed out - ha! Here goes.............

Simon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT