• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

So. UK. When is too early to start the season?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
When did the season end?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

For me, end of November. Weather was too crappy after that. I imagine even if I did have the cabanas to go in the vis would be dreadful.....Unless you know any better :D

Confusing information about the 2016 EU bass fishing ban (until 1st of June). I came across this today:
http://mags4dorset.co.uk/mep-wins-battle-for-dorset-sea-bass/

It is so warm at the moment (Feb!) it is like spring - saw a baby rabbit on a country lane I drive along every day, normally they start appearing in numbers at the start of Spring. Feb. is supposed to be cold, real cold! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
The vis has been awful near me for months, I have been saving holiday for a quiet, cold winter period which can give great vis, but now I have to cram it in before April, plans of mice and men and all that :D I will be in again as soon as the bloody wind stops making soup!;)

Reactions: Mr. X
Brighton sea temp is reading 11.5C!

Cheilsil beach reading 11C !

Yes. Wind. Please stop!:D

North Wales is almost 2 degrees warmer than normal - it's still in double figure which is unheard of. I recon we'll be into the bass up here by May at this rate.

Reactions: Fjord
I can only hope you're wrong Mr X. I've been waiting since the end of October for the vis to settle. It'll be sods law - clear sea and snow on the beach!

Confusing information about the 2016 EU bass fishing ban (until 1st of June). I came across this today:
http://mags4dorset.co.uk/mep-wins-battle-for-dorset-sea-bass/

It reads like this is a win for commercial hook and line fishermen.

The bass (and rec. bass fishing) have been completely screwed over.

I f...... am not going to let myself get into a rant.

New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I'll buy me a football team.

When I look at the weather (wet), I sometimes think that if I had never taken up spearfishing, I could have instead used the money spent on fuel & equipment to buy all sorts of wonderful fish & seafood (if the shops/fishmongers carried it, most don't) and have saved money! On the other hand, it would not have been as fresh, catching it yourself adds flavour x10 and it gave us an excuse to visit all sorts of seaside locations that we otherwise would not have. Also, we fish sustainably, while the big commercial fishers don't.

Most people don't like the idea of eating sustainably, it means that they cant eat what they want, when they want, it means being patient and patience is a rare commodity these days, heaven forbid killing your own food, that would just be wrong! :D

Last trip for me was mid October, beautiful weather and good viz, there hasn't been a settled couple of days since then. Been itching to get in and have even got set up for night spearing, which seems to have been the kiss of death on the weather! I personally won't go in now until probably late April, unless we get superb conditions.

The need for good conditions and the appalling weather we have in the UK is yet another factor that makes spearing super-sustainable here ("Always look on the bright side of life. Tumm tee tum...").

I'm occasionally shocked to meet fully grown adults who don't eat any fish ...usually followed by the one exception: "only if its battered!"
I've started asking more about this and it usually turns out that & fish fingers is the only fish they were given as children and they grew out of fish fingers. They are missing out! I had a colleague who would only eat farmed fish (kudos) - I pointed out that fish farming often pollutes its immediate environment and beyond - to which he replied "well you've got to eat something!" - fair point.

Last edited:
The last time I went in, I knew I was on the bottom when I crashed into it! Unless there is some global virus or event that decimates people I think that aquaculture will really kick off, I noticed today that the plans for a mile high building in Tokyo harbour include massive floating hexagonal platforms, I saw a programme a while back that talked about floating cities, when you think that the earths surface is mostly water it makes sense. I hope that as we realise the sea is key to survival on this planet, we start to act responsibly and sustainably. When you consider rising sea levels and the fact that it is the coast that tends to be heavily populated in many countries it all seems to make sense. ;)

In an effort to stay on topic: It is never too early.

I shall however digress with the rest. Mr X. I am always amazed at how little seafood our nation eats considering it's an island. I'm sure that anyone taking a spider crab or cuttle fish home have amazed curious passers by, who didn't even know that such creatures existed, yet alone exist in abundance around our shores, or that they were amazingly tasty or even edible at all. I have met some (but not many) that collect shrimp and prawns from our shores, and I know of very few people that collect their own shellfish even though we have healthy stocks in most of our estuaries.

As far as sustainably feeding the human race...
...the best option could well be cannibalism...

All your comments are making me consider jumping in as soon as the weather breaks.

I have a new rib and a new wetsuit is on the way. Just need a dive buddy on the south coast

All your comments are making me consider jumping in as soon as the weather breaks.

I have a new rib and a new wetsuit is on the way. Just need a dive buddy on the south coast

With a rotten looking arse like that, I doubt you'll get any joy!

:D Wetsuit torn to shreds. Awful!

I would normally suggest April as the earliest that the weather is likely to be tolerable - and even then, April weather (esp. early April) can be poor. But with the weird weather this year, who knows! Looking back at some old threads I notice the Dorset locals got some big bass catches in early April in the past (and I expect there are examples from late March too) - motivated no doubt to get the first good bass of the season. But it is easier to catch odd windows of good weather/conditions when (a) you live nearby and (b) are familiar with how different locations react to different conditions.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT