• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

So. UK. When is too early to start the season?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
All year for me for as long as I can recall. I've had big bass in every month of the year - they are there you just need to hunt them.

Yes, it's turned wintery all of a sudden. Tonight it is supposed to get to -7 C.

I'm gonna go mad if I don't get in soon! Luckily the surf is stopping me from going completely insane at the moment! After my first full summer being trained in the art of spearing with my new buddy Pav, driving 4hour trips in the search for vis, drinking wayyyy to much coffe and munching on the kids secret stash of haribos...
We dived at least once a week for a minimum of 4 hours a time, Pav would thrash me dive, after dive, after dive... to the point I actually considered sticking a cow bell on his float to try and even out the odds! Well I did fill his bag with pebbles after he took an 8pounder once... He wasn't so smug once he hiked up the hill!
But then like some miracle on last two dives of the year the tables had turned, the student became the master!!! completely smashing my pb bass on spear of 5lb not once but six times!!! It was the end of October, we decided to try some random new spots, got in and as soon as I loaded my gun I saw the biggest fattest bass well into double figures swimming away, took a pot shot and watched my spear bounce off the side of its head....gutted! The hunt was on! Within five minutes looked behind a rock and saw silver sat there, no where near the same size but looked about 6lb, bang, stunned and on the stringer! Swam around for another two hours and missed so many fish!! I saw Pav heading back in so I started to follow, Then had that gut feeling so went into stealth mode back to where I saw the big boy! Didn't see anything....... Just 6/7 bass all over 5lb just hanging about in two ft of water in the weed having a chat about.. About whatever bass chat about?! managed to sneak around the back of them and popped one with a clean head shot. Well stoked I went back to the van to find Pav snoozing on a bench.... Plopped my bass in front of him, he called me a jammy custard(whatever that is?!) small one weighed 8.5lb and the biggest was just shy of 10lb... The next day at a different spot we managed 3 bass each 5-7lb

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 148
I'm also anxious to get back in the water. Unfortunately I don't have quite the same knack for telling good stories. All I can add is that I caught a fish on my last dive of last year. It was a mullet and it made my first fish curry. Very nice.

I took the sailing dinghy out from Dawlish today. For the first time in a while I saw the sea looking more blue than brown. Lets hope for some more settled weather. Pleasepleaseplease!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT