• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Some guns to be made

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sample was made though i have to change bit to get my final design.

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

Last edited:
This thread i will use it for the 80 cm gun which finally finished but still i need to balance it and then do the painting job...

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

When i do the balancing is it ok to use the gun underwater with no oil or epoxy and later on i will add the epoxy?

FOr balancing as what i read from many of you guys i should make the gun sink in water horizontally with the shaft and all stuff mounted while float without the shaft am i right at that or any other recommendation?

Thanks in advance for all your help guyz...

I would seal the wood before you take it in the water. DONT oil the gun if you are going to put an epoxy coat on it. If you choose to epoxy it just put one or two coats on the gun before you take it out for ballasting. Then when you add the ballast you can put a couple more coats of epoxy on to seal where you drilled. Same goes for oil. If you dont seal the wood the grain will absorb water and swell.

As far as ballasting, for rear handles yes you (I) like the gun to sink horizontally with the shaft in, just slightly sink (almost neutral). I like it so when the gun is held in your hand it doesnt take any effort to hold the muzzle level. For freediving you want the gun to float with out the shaft. Keep in mind that if you choose to put a reel on the gun it will change the balance and ballast slightly.

Reactions: Salehthefish
what were the prices on the mako parts or did you buy a gun and strip it down
Mahalo, will

I would seal the wood before you take it in the water. DONT oil the gun if you are going to put an epoxy coat on it. If you choose to epoxy it just put one or two coats on the gun before you take it out for ballasting. Then when you add the ballast you can put a couple more coats of epoxy on to seal where you drilled. Same goes for oil. If you dont seal the wood the grain will absorb water and swell.

As far as ballasting, for rear handles yes you (I) like the gun to sink horizontally with the shaft in, just slightly sink (almost neutral). I like it so when the gun is held in your hand it doesnt take any effort to hold the muzzle level. For freediving you want the gun to float with out the shaft. Keep in mind that if you choose to put a reel on the gun it will change the balance and ballast slightly.

Thanks a lot Blaiz for your help i will do it like that...

what were the prices on the mako parts or did you buy a gun and strip it down
Mahalo, will

Hi willloomy
I have purchased part by part for the handle price is $65
Shaft $46.95
Predator Aluminium barrel 70 cm $30
open muzzle $24.95

looking good, would you mind explaining how you fitted the wood into the handle. i was thinking about trying to do something like that for a future gun.
again looking good
Aloha, Will

Hi will and thanks this handle type is male so you have to make hole in the wood which was done at the lathe shop. using a drill bit fixed at one side of the turning machine and rotating the wood piece do it on low RPM and do not push too much on the wood.

Some pics after painting the gun with acrylic Hope to balance it this saturday and finalize it can not wait to do so!!!

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

Reactions: blaiz
I really like your deep band slot, very nice work mate.
Cheers, Don

My pleasure that you like the design!!! For the groove it was made by using router with a fixed angle on both sides. I hope i will remember to take photos or video on how to make that...

I do appreciate your encouraging words...

I have tested the gun with this shaft (It is 130 cm long for 90 cm gun) i ordered the shaft before knowing exactly my gun size!!! with this shaft it is going down slowly in the water with the shaft tip down without weight... I will get the suitable shaft and try it again. So far the gun was fine for me and was shooting smoothly and accurate. One thing i could find it different from other guns were used by my friends(Have riffe, Magnum offsawed, and cressi) is the sound the sound coming was silent I am wondering if this is good or bad? I love the predator handle was great also i have added handle butt...

My setup so far was:

1- rubber bands 16mm x 2 i used more length on the rubber to decrease the power on the shaft so it will not be overloaded.
2-130 cm long shaft 7mm.

Thanks again for all your inputs and will update when i get another shaft...

Reactions: Don Paul
s the sound the sound coming was silent I am wondering if this is good or bad? Quote:salehthefish

Very good, will not scare other fish.
Cheers, Don Paul

Reactions: Salehthefish
A sign of a good wood gun is a quiet shot. The plus with the wood is that is absorbs the sound, you pair it with a smooth trigger and you have a silent fish killer.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT