• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Some guns to be made

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Rear handle will do i believe with 7.5 Shaft...King Mackerel is the one and not Yellow Tail King Mackerel...

One question i have is how to shoot a mid handle gun?

Rear handle will do i believe with 7.5 Shaft...King Mackerel is the one and not Yellow Tail King Mackerel...

One question i have is how to shoot a mid handle gun?

I shoot mid handle guns by fully extending and locking the elbow with the other hand cupped at the butt. Rather than look over the top, I sight the target down the side of the barrel. ( this will not work with side tapered barrel). The shooting hand's fore arm supports the rear over hang past the handle. If the butt end is not held firmly, or if the rear is too long for your arm, the butt will smash you in the face if the mass of the platform is too low. The midhandle is also able to pivot at the wrist and needs more stabilizing ( depending on mass) to be shoot accurately by some users.
I'll post a image of a gun I feel is nice for your needs in a hr.
Don
From Ulusub Spearfishing Co. webite. a 145cm rear handle. They also build a midhandle that is well designed in my opinion.
I'm am posting the link so you can chose style and power to model your build.

Attachments

• 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
It is nice design I would be interested in 125- 130cm rear handle 3 rubbers 16mm with 7 shaft... Is this a good combination?

Last edited:
It is nice design I would be interested in 125- 130cm rear handle 3 rubbers 16mm with 7 shaft... Is this a good combination?

I would use two @ 300 percent elongation on a 7mm and 3 on a 5/16.
On a 125 to 130 I would go deep open track.
Cheers Don

I am not getting u on this (two @ 300 percent elongation on a 7mm and 3 on a 5/16) Two means 2 rubbers @ 300 % elongation and how to measure this % ? Also i did not get 5/16 ?

Sorry am newbie at this!!

300% means the stretch of your bands are three times that of your gun length, assuming that you are measuring your gun from your band slot to the last loading tab on your shaft

So... if you take the gun length, lets say 110 cm we will multiply this by 2 if you are using continuous bands and not tying them at the muzzle, (this takes into consideration the half of the band on each side of the gun), now you subtract the length of your wishbone, lets say 8 cm, so your subtotal is going to be 212cm, now we are going to divide this by 3 (for 300%) which will give you your band length, keep in mind to add 2cm or so for the bit of rubber beyond your constrictor knot.

In short

(110 X 2) - 8

=70.66 cm + 2cm= 72.66cm which would be the length you would cut the rubber for your bands assuming you were using an 8cm wishbone.

Im not very good at describing things but can you see the picture now?

Just food for thought... I have found that I like a 350% stretch a lot. Not that I would question a master such as the Don but its worth experimenting with. In this case you would divide by 3.5 instead of 3.

Got it and it is perfect!!! Now i can say i learned something valuable and thnx a lot guyz... Have two questions on that:

1- I am thinking to use 3 bands where usually i will be using 2 and in case of bigger fish i will load the third but is it going to be overloaded by using third rubber?

2- ( lets say 110 cm we will multiply this by 2) are we multiplying by 2 bcoz we have two rubbers? and shall we multiply by two always regardless the thickness of the band? In my case i want to use 16mm band since it is easier to load. If i will use 20 mm band is it going to be same formula?

It seems to me if two bands & a 7mm spear will do the job then that would be the way to go.
Three bands will make the gun more bulky & take longer to load ?

2- ( lets say 110 cm we will multiply this by 2) are we multiplying by 2 bcoz we have two rubbers? and shall we multiply by two always regardless the thickness of the band? In my case i want to use 16mm band since it is easier to load. If i will use 20 mm band is it going to be same formula?

I think you may still be a bit confused. You multiply by 2 because the band is essentially a loop, the equation with out the x2 would be the stretch of a single strand of rubber stretching the gun, since the band is a loop you have two strands with a single band hence the x2.

And yes, the equation remains the same no matter how many bands you intend on using, or what size the band is.

Sorry for my nut head :D i got it now :) it is all about the length of the rubber and not on how many rubbers to be fixed that will be another issue... The equation u gave for 300% will keep the rubber stretched but not to the maximum limit of the rubber... (It seems to me if two bands & a 7mm spear will do the job then that would be the way to go) So taking all your advice seems 2 bands 16 mm 72.66 cm @ 300% ratio and i will try the 350% as well...

Now the main question is lamination till now i did not know the area of the wood which will be laminated...

Thanks all the way

Sorry for my nut head :D i got it now :) it is all about the length of the rubber and not on how many rubbers to be fixed that will be another issue... The equation u gave for 300% will keep the rubber stretched but not to the maximum limit of the rubber... (It seems to me if two bands & a 7mm spear will do the job then that would be the way to go) So taking all your advice seems 2 bands 16 mm 72.66 cm @ 300% ratio and i will try the 350% as well...

Now the main question is lamination till now i did not know the area of the wood which will be laminated...

Thanks all the way

Just keep in mind that that particular example was for a 110cm gun, if you want to make a 125-130 you are going to have to put one of those numbers in the equation in the place of 110, so your bands will be a bit longer than 72.66cm.

As far as lamination, a t-lam really only benefits you if you plan on doing minimal shaping or tapering. I would recommend just using multiple verticle laminates to obtain a nice stable stock somewhere between 4 and 7 would do well. Even number of lams insure that you can criss cross the grain effectively and cancel apposing forces in the wood. Good luck!

Attachments

• wenge_teak.jpg
    wenge_teak.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 182
  • wenge_teak-2.jpg
    wenge_teak-2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Mikes_pistol-6610.jpg
    Mikes_pistol-6610.jpg
    446.6 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
Nice lamination there!!! i need to know if 5 cm x 5 cm will be enough for 130 cm gun or it should be bigger?

I am not getting u on this (two @ 300 percent elongation on a 7mm and 3 on a 5/16) Two means 2 rubbers @ 300 % elongation and how to measure this % ? Also i did not get 5/16 ?

Sorry am newbie at this!!

Testing rubber speargun power bands Blue_Gun
I used the term 300% Elongation which is specimen length X 3.

some builders use different terms.

5/16 would be just under a 8mm shaft.
back to you after sunset.
Cheers, Don

Nice lamination there!!! i need to know if 5 cm x 5 cm will be enough for 130 cm gun or it should be bigger?

I think that 5cmx5cm is plenty big. That is about what my laminate was and I plan shaped it down too. Just remember to give yourself some extra material because you will loose some when truing your stock.

Thats kewl (Wenge wood is wonderful wood like the color so much is it good for marine applications as teak?)today i have started cutting the wood each laminate was 7mm thick i will be using 6 laminates which is 4.2 cm thick where the other edge will be 5 cm i.e 4.2 x 5 area... for 85 cm gun i will be making each gun from 4 laminates each 7mm so 2.8 cm x 5 cm is that good area or any suggestions there?

Note : After cutting the wood unlike african wood i found that this Burma Teak wood piece 100% straight with no bending after the cut... The carpentry shop owner told me that this type of wood does not need lamination and it will never bend according to his knowledge any input on this also?

Been recently to the Carpentry Shop and the last decision i took is to have 2 cross sections:

1- For 130 cm i kept it as 5 x 4 cm (Side 5 will be machined and will go down to 4 after machining) length 133 cm. One will be normal rear handle and one will be hybrid rear handle...
2- For 85- 90 cm gun (Depends on the handle length) kept 4 x 4 cross section with 82 cm length.

So far had nice straight blanks i will give it like 2 weeks to be sure it will remain straight. More details after 2 weeks from now hope everything goes well...

Parts orderd from Mako and Neptonics waiting reply to get the parts...

Thanks for all your inputs waiting for more inputs,,,

When you say "hybrid" are you making a wood gun with an aluminum barrel? Is that what you ordered from mako?

That is right i ordered Barrel and muzzle for hybrid also for the smaller guns i will be using predator handles...

I have checked today the blanks after lamination and had doubt about the gorilla glue which i have used. So i took one blank and used wood chisel and one hammer to split the lamination as i thought it will be done easily... The result was i cracked the lamination and no even slight crack in the glue. I decided to keep gorilla glue for this build and in future i will be using West System Epoxy...

Tomorrow i will make prototype for the shape which i will make with some pics...

Update will come tomorrow as i hope...

I could not make the Sample so far... On Sunday most probably...

I took below pics for lamination which i believe even it is 99% straight still i made mistake in the wood sequence... What i did was i cut the wood into three pieces and i flipped the second wood piece but i got the below shape which is not the usual opposite faces of lamination... (Note this is for the 85-90 gun)

pic22-4-2010.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT