• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well, someone's got to ask... When's the weather going to improve so I can get a night dive in!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moving down to South Devon in 4 weeks time and will be keen to get in spearing and hook up with some locals for bit of spot advice and just to be able to dive with a buddy.. thinking of hitting Brixham area for starters, any advice would be appreciated and pm me if anyone wants to have a look in soon.

Dave

Any south hams boys give me a viz report. Thurlestone side. Slight East winds all week
Cheers

I optimistically jumped in yesterday evening at Hope Cove, I thought following a nice weekend things might have settled, but very wrong, swam out towards the headland for 20 mins but vis improved only from 10 cm to about 30cm. Still nice to jump in and have a swim! There was still quite a bit of swell in Start Bay over the weekend too so don't think any inshore areas working at the moment.

Any chance anything anywhere????
Found one spot in bay with great looking viz, rip running through and quite deep water, so clean water pumped through. Shallower water either side very murky and not diveable but easterly swell has wiped that one out before I could get in. I know hope cove wasn't diveable at the weekend but anyone been around since, hallsands, salcombe,
Thurlestone etc etc etc etc.
Itching to get in!!!!

Lee

Hey guys.

Just to let you know... I was down at a beautiful estuary near Plymouth Tuesday Eve, at about 11pm we both snagged lines on something heavy... Turned out to be an illegal drift gill net right up the estuary by the second mark.

We tried to pull it in and failed, snapped a load of gear etc, so I got my wetsuit out and swam to it, got a line and hauled it in.

We saved about 200 live fish and put them back... We recon about 3500 fish were in it and nearly 200m long.

Maritime management organisation (DEFRA) recovered it yesterday from the high water line where we dragged it up by hand, with nearly a tonne on bream (guilt head) mullet and the odd bass in it.

Gutted to see such devastation on the estuary.

Anyone see any boat activity?

Last edited:
Oh man. That makes me so sad! :(

Good work though. Well done on sorting as best you could.

Lee - reckon looking good for next week in the Bay, at last!!! I plan on going in mid week.
AlistairB - good work at a terrible situation. Respect.

Gutted to see such devastation on the estuary.

Anyone see any boat activity?

Not yet :facepalm: !

Well done on a good deed but just remember these forums are read by hundreds of people. Maybe it would be a good idea to remove the specific location from the post ?

I mean you no offence Alastair. But you might as well say that some one person has managed to net 3500 prime fish at a specific location on the south coast. Diving around that area has always been a bit taboo with the estate managers as it is. the last thing needed is an influx of fishermen and spearo's

I think peeps will probably avoid the area now anyways seems there are 3500 less guilts in the water.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Lee I wish that was the case. If I'm completely honest. The first thing that as a fisherman and a spearo popped in to my head when reading that post was " bet that's got to be worth an early season trip "

Perhaps that's just how I think when I see big catch reports and decent fish coming from a specific area. Somehow I doubt it though....

I must admit, I was fairly turned on by the prospect of early bream...but gutted that so many fish have been taken...And to think the odd uneducated spearo has slated me for taking 10 bass!

But yeah I agree, probably best to edit the posts exact location just in case.

Well I best go now and charge my torches ready for a south devon bream raid! ;)

Reactions: Dave L
Good point fellas! Post edited!

I was massively surprised at the bream too! There weren't many bream mostly mullet and some donkeys at that!

I had my first gilthead bream last year end of April and the water was freezing! So not suprising as the water is almost 10 degrees already. Where the bream juveniles or breeding adults?

They were a reasonable size, the same sort of size you see in the supermarket - farmed variety!

Bollocks!!!!!! spearolee seen this post. Bang goes us devon boys getting in on the action if he's crossing the border!!!!

Reactions: speerolee
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT