• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2016

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just a bit of weed, all cams looking grim

Attachments

• 20160804_105333.jpg
    20160804_105333.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 229
Just a bit of weed, all cams looking grim

This happens to be one of my favourite Teignbridge dive sites. Unfortunately (as i'm sure you well know) it also happens to be a magnet for weed, sediment and other crap making it hardly ever worth diving. A shame. It's a pretty site, and productive if you can get through the clouds!

Hello everyone
I'm thinking of heading over to Burgh Island for a dive tomorrow. Can anyone give me any info about tides, rips and routes please
I'd be most grateful. Thanks

high about 10,
Looking at burgh if you fish to the right, mullet close in around rocks, further round deep gullies might hold bass, sole. Lots of wrasse to watch and pollock but not normally big enough to take. Occasional crab or lobster.
To the left on a high, the outer reef can be a good ambush for mullet and bass, no rips around the island, the rip is across bantham beach. Swim around the mouth of the Avon but only when the is no tidal movement.
Only thing with this place in the daytime, is it will be heaving and everyone will want to know what you're doing or leaving the water empty handed, means the dreaded walk of shame.
Lee

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Great dive this evening on our lobster reef.
We dived two hours after the high tide. The viz in shallow was appalling, but once out past the surf line, it improved to a milky 4-5m.
The bass were about, but skittish. I took my one fish after 15min hunting the string weed beds. At the bottom of a gully, laying on the sand was a fat topknot. They are quite tasty, so he went on the stringer too. To finish off, an angry lobster completed the evenings dive. This time, Rowan had to complete the walk of shame up the cliff.

Vis around South Hams and Torbay being described as like a second bloom by a few chaps I know who have been on the water. Is it better a little further out or even deeper? Do I just need to get myself over to Plymouth?!!

Vis around South Hams and Torbay being described as like a second bloom by a few chaps I know who have been on the water. Is it better a little further out or even deeper? Do I just need to get myself over to Plymouth?!!
Yes

Reactions: Dai ASBO
Dived Dawlish area last night. Vis was around 3m or so. I was looking for flatties, but found quite a few Bass about close to the shore. They were hoovering up the all the white bait that had been left crippled by mackerel attacks earlier on in the evening. Couldn't find any flatfish big enough so I had to make do with Bass.

DSC01119.JPG

We had friends down so took them mackerel fishing on Teignmouth seafront, Waitbait and sandeels were driven up against the wall, couldn't see the water close in due to the vast numbers of them. Haven't seen a shoal of mackerel so big since I was a young lad on Torre Abbey, I remember using a keep net laid along the step on the beach, filled to the brim in seconds. Fed many elderly folk on the estate in those days, Bait fish the other night were falling out of the mackerels mouths 8 0r 9 a time.
Pretty amazing sight.

Brixham dive last night, patchy vis of 1.5 - 3 meters. Lots of small bass about but no takers, the few mullet seen were too small too. I chose Brixham so I could pick up some scallops if no fish were about, but didn't find any and then failed to equalise so moved back to shallower water. Typical. Enjoyable dive nonetheless.

I was also out diving last night. I came across a properly monstrous fish right in the very shallow water where I first got in. The sand was all stirred up on the shore line and the vis was that poor that I almost bumped into it! I found plenty of small Bass about and some a bit bigger upto a very nice size, but not the big beastie I first saw. I was hoping to try again tonight, but easterly winds have put a stop to that. Looks like diving over this way is off for a while...

Reactions: foxfish
Also got in last night as easterly headed in, pretty murky a bass taken before & after midnight. On the way in came across a nice lobster, viz now zero, so home time.
Teignmouth tonight as rest of the south coast , only good for surfers

went fishing last night at seaton, vis at high tide looked ok for spearing, but it always better that way than say budleigh.

Torquay dive at dawn this morning, vis was good with a steady 2-4 meters. Loads of bass and mullet about but none that took my fancy, apart from the one that got away! Missed what should have been a dead cert on a decent bass, a bit frustrating as was the only definite taker out of all the bass seen. Mullet were borderline but none of the size I'm used to taking at that spot so happy to leave them be.

Reactions: NNW64
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT