• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2016

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
That's what we like to read, well done shiny. Let's have more please, less tree huggers

Last edited:
cod norway (2).jpg When I have time I will tell you the story behind this one from Norway

A complete contrast to my dive last week. Kingsand Bay today, 3-4m viz, a lot of silt in the top layers, ground swell, no fish, apart from the usual stinky mullet (I couldn't be bothered shoot it), and a water temperature drop down to 14 degrees.

Reactions: shiny1 and AlB
Great Haul Nick! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

I've not managed a dive in a while, leg playing up and builders/building a family home taking up time (and dosh!)...!

Great Haul Nick! [emoji1303][emoji1303][emoji1303]

I've not managed a dive in a while, leg playing up and builders/building a family home taking up time (and dosh!)...!

I though you was going for a dive a couple of weeks back?

Got in Friday at another good plaice spot I haven't dived this year. Bit of a swim out from the shore and hard to find. I have to line up fence post on he cliffs with a cottage behind it in the distance and stay on the line until the light colour of the sand turns dark then I know I have found the small reefs 5 in number which the plaice seem to hang around. I could tell once I started diving I wasn't going to see any plaice.
The sand texture looked rough and wavy instead of the flat silt type sand. Several dives and no flatties seen I decided to save the day while there was still a bit of light and go inshore near to where I got in.
Several bass seen in the shallows but small type. Only allowed one so gambled on waiting to take one of a decent size. Vis wasn't great with the ground swell churning it up making it hard to spot a bass laying up in the kelp. I managed a mullet in amongst the small bass and then eventually finding a bass laying up in the kelp just when the light was going. It was about 5lbs
Seen another spearo getting in with his torch when I was getting out

I dived a remote reef mark this morning near Plymouth with my buddy. The wind was Easterly, so we took a chance. It was choppy in the surface, but once down in the deep gullies it was really calm. Viz was OK, 8-10m in places, a lot less close in.
This mark is normally good for bass and big pollock, but today they had disappeared. Lots of small 1-2lb fish, but that was it. We called it a day after an hour and a half. As we were swimming in, I looked under a ledge and saw a claw sticking out. A bit of tickling and one lobster caught.
It was a long walk back up the cliff, but it was good to dive the mark at least once this year.
IMG_1752.JPG

Been meaning to find the time to type up my last 2 dive reports and the time has finally arrived. 2 Torquay dives over the last 2 Fridays at the same spot.
2 Fridays ago I went out midday on a mid-falling tide. Quite a bit of chop in the water but generally ok further out. On my 2nd dive down landed into a nice gulley with 3 decent bass a few meters away, plenty of time to line up a shot on the biggest. Went to pull the trigger (whilst feeling rather chuffed) to find the bloody safety catch on - I never use the safety to must have been knocked on when shifting my gear around. Not to worry I thought, back down again to see a few sizeable mullet and bass behind me but disappeared before was even able to turn. Still a good sign I thought and my new favourite spot looked like it would be rewarding. Then nothing at all for the next hour and half. Came away with an average mullet as the only other fish seen all dive. Vis a decent 2-3 meters.

Last Friday went to same spot at 9 again on a falling tide. Nice calm conditions, little movement on the water and good vis of 2-4 meters generally. Nothing about after repeated dives so headed further out to explore around a familiar location I've not dived much this year. Still no fish but found scallops:) In about 10-12 meters, came away with my quota (I have a shellfish permit if anyone is wondering). Seems like a good spot for them as came up with at least 2 on each dive. Started to feel the cold and after a glug or two of water headed back in. Stopped off onto a ledge a meter and a half down to have the only mullet (large) seen come up to me but was off before I could position a shot confidently. A fish would have been the icing on the cake as was pretty chuffed at the scallop haul, but resigned myself to the fact there really wasn't any fish about in a decent location. Got half way back to shore and decided upon a last dive seeing another ledge below and knowing my breath-holds were getting worse. On to the ledge and then shortly a lone bass makes its way up to me, turns and heads off. This time I'm prepared and aim a shot in pursuit and it finds its target. 50 cm 3lb+ bass to finish the morning off. I'll now try and upload a pic or 2.

We polished of all the fish and scallops over dinner this afternoon and rather tasty they were too.

Sounds like you has a very nice dive Dai. I've got to admit i'm a bit envious.

Some friends went out for a night dive last night. Lots of flatfish and pollock about. One of the the group tried many times to shoot a fish but his gun wouldn't fire. He checked his safety catch, spear, line release, but nothing worked. A lot of swearing ensued. He got home, started washing his kit down, and noticed that a small pebble had got behind his trigger at the start of the dive, completely jamming it. We didn't laugh too much...
Speargun.jpg

Guys
Night spearing ? I understand why but can anyone give me relevant info on safety measures taken i.e.depths dived down to or distance dived from beach, state of tide, torches/cyalumes used etc as im keen to gain as much knowledge as I can.
Thanks

It's basically just a case of grab a torch and go diving. Best depths, distance from shore, tides etc will all vary depending on the dive site. My favourite night site is best on an incoming tide in the first few hours of darkness. Another good site is seems best around low. Best to do some experimenting. I have a 'cheap' Chinese torch (around £70.) Xtar. It's been well worth it. Best not to shine it directly at the fish - they don't like it.

OK, here we go....
Night diving is great fun, but there are some things to be aware of before your first dive.

Most important.....Tell someone where you're going, so if there is a problem, you don't come home etc, they know where to start looking for you. Go with a dive buddy if possible, it keeps the lady folk happy.

Choose a sheltered beach or cove you're familiar with during the day, and use house lights or street lights for reference. When we dive remote beaches, we tape a blue/yellow cylume to a 6ft bamboo pole and stick it in the sand so we know where to get out.

Use a shorter gun if you have one. A 75cm single band is ideal. You don't need a double band, triple wrapped 120cm monster gun.

Take a bright main torch and a backup torch. If your main torch fails, your backup will at least get you out of the water and safely up the shore. A small torch clipped to your mask strap is ideal for this and is perfect for sorting out a shot fish.

Leave your float at home! At night you need to adopt the KISS principle, simple belt stringer will suffice. You do not want to be faffing about in the dark with 60ft of tangled float line, shooting line, and an angry 8lb bass that doing its best to wrap you up in it all.

Don't bother with those little glow sticks. If you can't see your buddy when they have a 1000 lumen torch, you won't see a tiny green glowing dot.

Have a very sharp, secure and easily accessible knife that you can find every time.

If you're diving near one another, help each other out when you do shoot something. Two torches and four hands make things way easier at night.

You generally won't need to dive deep, 4m max really. A lot of the fish will be shot from the surface. Each beach will fish differently, but as a general rule, three hours into a flood tide is good. Have a look on Google maps or a site called Zoom Earth, pick a beach close you you that you like the look of, and go dive it. A barren dive site in the day usually comes alive at night, so don't write off places before you give them a go.

Lastly, have a flask of hot beverage for when you get out. Hot Ribena is great.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT