• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A few weekend trips to report in the Bay. With the wind staying light the viz is still great and snorkelling a pleasure. Got in when the light was starting to fade Friday night and had a small mullet and my first legal bass of the season. After all the big ones I've seen the last few weeks, this was the only one big enough to shoot despite being plenty of small ones about. When darkness fell, we went on a lobster hunt. After being way too slow with a nice one which promptly disappeared into the kelp, I did manage to grab one out in the open. The string on my float was kind of tangled around the bag attached so failing to get the lobster in claws first I maneuvered it round to put in in tail first by grabbing it by the claws. Course, it shed both claws and flicked off back into the kelp. Anyway, finally a joint effort and managed to get this big girl out of it's hole. Not sure how big but a good lump. I measured the bass around 48cm just checking it was legal so it gives some idea of the size of the lobby. After a 5 minute boil, it wound up on the BBQ Saturday night basted in garlic and lemon butter and for a big one was surprisingly tender. The bass went the same way wrapped in foil with lemon, butter and herbs. The small mullet wound up as cornflake breaded goujons for the kids. Also got another half decent mullet yesterday at a different spot after a quick dip due to being with the family - no bass seen. Sorry about the crap photos. In case John is reading this, kudos on the big wrasse! Happy days!
20170708_162241[1].jpg
20170709_135515[1].jpg
20170708_162213[1].jpg

As there's no Cornwall thread this year I'll post here.

Saw a gap in the weather and swell and took a dip in East Cornwall yesterday, vis 3m +/- and never seen so few fish at this spot. Rain today and winds forecast so that will be it again for another few weeks I'm sure. Only had a few sessions this year so far... What's going on?!

Reactions: foxfish and Mr. X
Why didn't you start a new Cornwall 2017 thread HD7? I'll be going down there soon :) Hope the weather improves (although looking nice here today).

As there's no Cornwall thread this year I'll post here.

Saw a gap in the weather and swell and took a dip in East Cornwall yesterday, vis 3m +/- and never seen so few fish at this spot. Rain today and winds forecast so that will be it again for another few weeks I'm sure. Only had a few sessions this year so far... What's going on?!

I went in at East Cornwall about a month ago in the height of the good weather and had never seen so many fish tbh! Bass, a couple of shoals of them, spider crab and a few turbot

Luck of the draw I reckon

Reactions: Mr. X
Often wondered why there was almost zero Cornwall content on this forum.

Was in the Falmouth area for two weeks two weeks ago. Viz was shite the whole time I was there due to a couple of monster storms. Only caught a couple of just legal bass and a Wrasse for Sashimi/Sushi.

IMG_7124.JPG
IMG_7128.JPG

Anyone know what the vis is like in the South Hams? I know there is a fair swell at the minute but I'd be grateful for a report as thinking of heading over that way Sunday morning. I was in Torbaydos last night with the tide running and vis was really poor in the shallows and not much better further out, plenty of bait fish but just a few borderline bass and pollack seen. Mate of mine reported much better today and had his first bass - well done matey.

Mate kayaking said hope cove murky. Bigbury hard to tell as overcast on cams. Teignmouth 2-3 m. Thinking east Devon for me, waiting update or if not going for some mackerel for smoking

Mate kayaking said hope cove murky. Bigbury hard to tell as overcast on cams. Teignmouth 2-3 m. Thinking east Devon for me, waiting update or if not going for some mackerel for smoking
Cheers for the info. Was thinking maybe Beesands or somewhere along there but might stay local if is might be suspect. Where you heading for the mackerel? My Dad has a boat on the Dart so we get out pretty regularly. The last time a few weeks back there were none about.

s pr
Cheers for the info. Was thinking maybe Beesands or somewhere along there but might stay local if is might be suspect. Where you heading for the mackerel? My Dad has a boat on the Dart so we get out pretty regularly. The last time a few weeks back there were none about.
Well we stayed local and the vis in Torbay was pretty good Sunday morning around 3-4m. I saw more life and more fish than I have done in a while. The bass were shoaling around us in huge numbers but nearly all small. Took the biggest in the shoal but filleted it on the beach so no photo. The mullet were hanging on the edge of the shoal of bass and eluding my poor shooting. Still a great dive. Also found the mackerel yesterday in the mouth od the Dart and had around 50 in as many minutes. Will be smoking and pickling over the next few days. Hope the SW winds continue to keep the bay nice and clear.

Sorry only just seen post. Went to longquarry as hopes nose packed with the usual polish & Chinese. Came away with 30, wriggled joey mackies off the line. Filleted them and fed Sammy the seal. Big lad good 8 -10ft. Good spot as no one else there but hell of a climb down the cliff.

Couple of weekend trips to report. Went in at a usual local mark with a couple of mates on Saturday but fewer fish than of late and only small bass seen. As per usual, I stayed in a little too long so when a half decent mullet swam past by me I fumbled with the safety catch with my cold fingers and didn't even get a shot off before it had ambled into the murk. So a disappointing blank. Returned to the water Sunday at a different spot and despite a bit of a chop there was plenty of life around and the ever present small bass. Again I didn't see any big enough to shoot despite seeing a good few sizeable ones earlier in the year. Anyway, I was hard on the bottom in the kelp with a number of borderline Pollack milling about. I was busy trying to figure out if any were big enough to shoot when a decent mullet passed almost in front of my face. I figured I'd startle it if I tried to get the gun round so watched it swim off out of site only to double back. It literally swam straight back in front of me and I shot it from perhaps six inches away; definitely less wary than other mullet I've seen of late. Not a monster and didn't weight it as I filleted on the beach but 3.5lb plus and made good eating last night. My lad loves any fish goujons with bread crumbs. Hopefully the water will come clear again pretty quickly after the easterly yesterday but the Bay was looking decidedly brown last night. Also got our rod and line fishing after work Monday and got a few half decent plaice so eating well of late. Anyone else been getting out much of late? Forum seems to be becoming a little quiet although I'm not a big fan of facebook.

Attachments

• IMG-20170820-WA0004[1].jpg
    IMG-20170820-WA0004[1].jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG-20170822-WA0011[1].jpg
    IMG-20170822-WA0011[1].jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 206
Well done mate... not many guys I know use the safety!

That is probably because the safety is false assurance and it is not to be trusted. Better to always assume the gun can fire at any time and act accordingly.

Reactions: Mr. X
Nice catch, and lovely looking plaice for the rod sesh ;)

I only started spearfishing this year but I also learned after my first proper dive that the safety on the guns is not that safe and you are better off not putting the safety on.. just always assume the gun can discharge on its own at any given time and start making strategies accordingly.
I for example never point the loaded gun at any parts of my body ( legs, fingers ) and never at a diver or an inflatable boat... I avoid as much as possible to hold the gun by any other part but the handle as well as I don't want to be slapped by the rubber if it would discharge.
So far so good

I took a friend on a lobster catching lesson last Friday. He has been diving for a couple of seasons but has yet to see one let alone catch one...until now. We dived on a spring low. The usual holes were inaccessible, so we went over to a patch not normally dived. The water was only 1-2m deep, and the viz was very good, almost like an aquarium when the tide turned.
Most of the bugs were easy enough to get out with a bit of persuasion, and my buddy learned quite a bit over the few hours.
There was only one that fully defeated me. He was in a hole with a very narrow entrance that slanted downwards and opened up as it went back. I'll use the lasso on him next time.
We filled three out of four bags and headed home.
Not many silvers seen, only two lone mullet cruising in the shallows. Probably missed a few more as I had my head in a hole most of the time.
21192441_10159105931920214_8934518875979511383_n.jpg

I took a friend on a lobster catching lesson last Friday. He has been diving for a couple of seasons but has yet to see one let alone catch one...until now. We dived on a spring low. The usual holes were inaccessible, so we went over to a patch not normally dived. The water was only 1-2m deep, and the viz was very good, almost like an aquarium when the tide turned.
Most of the bugs were easy enough to get out with a bit of persuasion, and my buddy learned quite a bit over the few hours.
There was only one that fully defeated me. He was in a hole with a very narrow entrance that slanted downwards and opened up as it went back. I'll use the lasso on him next time.
Not many silvers seen, only two lone mullet cruising in the shallows. Probably missed a few more as I had my head in a hole most of the time.View attachment 43899
That sounds brilliant. I would love to learn some bug hunting if you ever fancy showing another newbie. This is my fourth season and so far the lobsters are eluding me too.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brett Garrett
With regards to the safety, sure I appreciate it shouldn't be replied upon but I like to have the trigger set fairly sensitive so like to have the safety on to prevent premature discharge (so to speak). Also when swimming around with two mates and stalking in shallow water (where I do most of my spearing) it makes sense to have it on. Had a weekend trip and again the bass shoals turned up circling within feet of me but again all small. No big fish seen but I shot these two mullet which turned up on the edge of the shoals. Went oriental with them for a change with rice broccoli and soy. I like to cook the fillets skins side down then turn over, carefully peel off the skin and fry the skin separately to properly crisp up. Very nice!

Not many silvers seen, only two lone mullet cruising in the shallows. Probably missed a few more as I had my head in a hole most of the time.View attachment 43899
I've been getting more into the lobster hunting this year and have managed to wrestle a few out or have found them wandering around on the couple of night dives I've managed but I do seem to find a lot which I fail to get out. What are your tools for this? I use a bent over radiator roller but find this a bit short at times. I did try a strong jawed long handled rubbish picker but have yet to fully test this out. Be interested to see a pic/ description of the lasso method?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT