• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2017

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've been getting more into the lobster hunting this year and have managed to wrestle a few out or have found them wandering around on the couple of night dives I've managed but I do seem to find a lot which I fail to get out. What are your tools for this? I use a bent over radiator roller but find this a bit short at times. I did try a strong jawed long handled rubbish picker but have yet to fully test this out. Be interested to see a pic/ description of the lasso method?
I only use the spear from my gun to get them out. It doubles up as an almost perfect lobster hook as its long and the flopper gets right behind them.
The only time it doesn't work is a really deep hole that opens up. That's why I bought the lobster lasso. Its the same thing they use in America to catch crayfish. With the lasso, you can slip it in behind the lobster, open it up, and when it backs into the noose, pull it tight around the tail.

Reactions: Mr. X
With regards to the safety, sure I appreciate it shouldn't be replied upon but I like to have the trigger set fairly sensitive so like to have the safety on to prevent premature discharge (so to speak). Also when swimming around with two mates and stalking in shallow water (where I do most of my spearing) it makes sense to have it on. ...
I agree with SubSub's post above, Safety Catches should not be relied on to provide safety. Slack bands (i.e. unloaded) is the only safe state. Also, once you miss a good fish because the safety is on or stuck, it soon looses its appeal.

I understand your concern though, I spear alone partly for that reason. I snorkeled with my son this Summer, which was great fun, but both felt we'd rather spear alone for fear of spearing each other. Indeed I encountered numerous other spearos this week - unusual - and felt that a couple of them were not sufficiently conscious of others around them nor the danger that they themselves presented to others. One was close to shore on a small, crowded beach, with a loaded speargun, in camo, with no dive float, two children next to him, a couple of others snorkelling close by, and "play" kayaks not far away. He also appeared to be distracted (not actively hunting). Not just for safety sake(but that is reason enough) but for public relations - we need to be safer than that. "Slack bands".

Much further out, I called out to another spearo to let him know I was nearby and told him that I would stay clear of him and move away from his area (which meant that I had to skip the first prime dive site I had planned to visit but safety first). But he ignored that and followed me, tapped me on the shoulder just as I was lining up on a decent pollock that I had spotted, just within range, and as I was deciding whether to dive after it or shoot! We chatted but then he followed me and cut across my path before I finally shook him by leaving the safety of the bay. He seemed like a nice chap and I expect he felt it would be safer for us to dive to together as buddies but, while I have some sympathy with that approach, it is not my chosen way to spearfish. I feel much safer alone. I felt very unsafe near him and I felt that I presented a danger to him while we were close to each other. I did not want to be forever checking out where he was before taking a shot. Each to their own.

Good morning!

First post on here. New to spearfishing discipline. Trying to learn as much as possible about the Devon and Cornwall opportunities.
Happy to dive solo to be honest, not a big fan of diving in close proximity to others (for reasons well stated above - you can't tell how little respect someone has for a potentially lethal weapon until they make a mistake). That said, I would be interested in diving with a buddy to start with just to get my bearings if anyone is interested?

Hi Jim, its ok to dive with others if that is your preference. Many would not do it any other way. Are you in north or south Devon? There are a couple of spearfishing shops in Paignton/Brixham - might be worth popping in for a chat.

Hi Jim, its ok to dive with others if that is your preference. Many would not do it any other way. Are you in north or south Devon? There are a couple of spearfishing shops in Paignton/Brixham - might be worth popping in for a chat.

North Devon. I'll look them up and pop in. Thank you.
Will see how I get on, first few times I'll certainly dive with a buddy. Find my feet before I consider solo.

There are several spearo forum members in N. Devon. I used to refer new N. Devon members to Pawel but haven't heard much from him recently.

Hi all .. I have not posted for ages .... forum seemed a bit dead last time I looked in , and i have not dived much at all for a fair while .good to see there is still a bit of life on the forum ......anyway as the subject of a few recent posts was about lobsters I thought I would add my recent catch , and a personal best for me ...7 1/2 lb ..after finding it in it's lair and a pretty swift and successful full frontal grab ( I was feeling brave !! ) I was on a shore dive and had a bloody long,hard ,slow 300-400 metre swim with the beasty to shore ...exhausting but worth it ...For scale the right (crushing claw ) is next to my size 42 ( 8-9 ) shoe happy days !!!! for me that is , not the lobster !!!
DSCF1486.JPG
DSCF1487.JPG

Geddon Terry well done. The last 2 dives i had was over the border in Cornwall so i posted it om the Cornish thread.

Geddon Terry well done. The last 2 dives i had was over the border in Cornwall so i posted it om the Cornish thread.
Great to see you are still on here nick ! go on then post something impressive just to remind us of the legend you are !!!l lol

Reactions: shiny1
lost the interest at the mo matey. been 3-4 times this year, will try to get out but finding motivation difficult to travel very far.

Great to see you are still on here nick ! go on then post something impressive just to remind us of the legend you are !!!l lol
Ha ha Terry, i am just good at telling a yarn or should i say a fishermans tale. I havent dived enough to post any thing good

lost the interest at the mo matey. been 3-4 times this year, will try to get out but finding motivation difficult to travel very far.
That's odd you used to be so keen you went in the dark all year round !! .... I must admit travelling to the S Hams is a bit of a chore and then parking ( availability and cost ) and the new Bass rules reduce enthusiasm , however Torbados has been great for vis this year and I tend to look for shellfish more now , although I take fish if they come my way , but not many fish this year ,mostly Scallops and Razor clams for tea !!

Ha ha Terry, i am just good at telling a yarn or should i say a fishermans tale. I havent dived enough to post any thing good
Yes you are a fisherman and you have tales to tell !! like 2 triggers with 1 shot !!!etc etc ...Why you not diving much ?

Great to hear from you Shiny, Scrumpy and Mirror!

Scrumpy - sad as it is to hear that, I understand. I've had a few opportunities recently where I just couldn't be bothered, a first for me.

Been somewhat absent of late too with not much to write about, although did dally with some lobsters (unsuccessfully) a couple of months back. Came across one across open sand and couldn't believe it, decent size too. Having had no practice buggered up the attempt to catch it but learned a lot about their behaviours in the process, next time I'll be more confident and competent. Didn't realise how good swimmers they are. 5 mins later dived down and was peering under some large ledges under some fairly big rocks to come across the big black face of a seal looking back at me. It didn't move, I did. Was more eerie than scary, was just perfectly still, looking out under the rock.

Today was worth a couple of words. Went out to Torquay to start just after low tide. After a few minutes of being in the shallows with a lot of chop, loaded the gun and knocked my action camera out of its housing and lost it. Was only a cheapy but nevertheless a crap start. 15 mins later was approached by a spearo in a rib - turns out there was a BSA comp going on and there were a bunch of other spearos here and there. Carried on as planned and spent the next best part of 2 hours with many dives and a few decent mullet around but always presenting in places I couldn't turn the gun on them before disappearing. Decided to head back and didn't really relish the walk back to the car with nothing, passing fish laden spearos from the comp as I went. But I didn't give up (never give up) and came across the bass in the pic. Measures bang on 60cm from end to end - a personal best for me. Nice and no walk of shame.

Had a chat with a couple of chaps after, turns out that there hadn't been much caught at all - it may even be the case that I came away with the best fish?! If that was the case, can't say that I won't be more than slightly chuffed as I know Kevin Daley was there and a bunch of other 'hardcore' spearos (to use the phrase of the chap I spoke to).

Attachments

• DSC_1125.JPG
    DSC_1125.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: SJBatts
Hi , Dai .... I too went to Meadfoot today whilst in the area on motorbike , and saw there was a comp on .... spoke to a few guys ( not many young ones !! ) and as you say very little caught by competitors . good result on the Bass though !! With lobsters you need to be a bit brave and just grab them , bigger ones seem slower I think , but it is amazing how quick they can reverse by using their tails which makes it difficult if they are in a hole . I suspect you are all enthused again now for diving ...Terry ..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT