• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2020

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
A bleak start to 2020 in the South West.
I’m hoping for a spell of settled weather to get out and have an explore after the winter storms. Something unusual normally appears.

Reactions: Tipticiter
Some of the boys are scallop diving to keep there fitness levels up, not enough viz for a day dive at the moment, but the shore anglers are getting some nice fish it seems.

A bleak start to 2020 in the South West.
I’m hoping for a spell of settled weather to get out and have an explore after the winter storms. Something unusual normally appears.
Hi Chris, Not much different here in Guernsey, although some of the boys are scalloping to keep there fitness levels up, the shore fishing sounds pretty decent though but not enough viz to warrant a spear mission at the moment.

Reactions: Trelawney
Throwback Thursday.
A3BFE4E5-06E5-4C50-B746-79FD284CBC66.jpeg

Ten years ago this month I won one of OMD’s handmade trophies for Fish Of The Month. Time certainly flies by....

48DFCC8A-CFA1-49C8-B1B6-5719A26434D9.jpeg

First trip out since March, and it didn’t disappoint.
The water was still quite cold, not helped by the NE wind. We dived the low, getting in at 0530 and dived the rising tide.
Viz was starting to deteriorate in part due to the May bloom and the wind chop, but was a very useable 4-5m.
These were the only takeable lobsters we found, all the others were berried females or undersized.
One cuttle was taken as well, a big Bull Huss
came out to play and a decent Topknot was found.
No bass about though, and a small shoal of 3lb-ish mullet swam by in the shallows.

View attachment 55999
First trip out since March, and it didn’t disappoint.
The water was still quite cold, not helped by the NE wind. We dived the low, getting in at 0530 and dived the rising tide.
Viz was starting to deteriorate in part due to the May bloom and the wind chop, but was a very useable 4-5m.
These were the only takeable lobsters we found, all the others were berried females or undersized.
One cuttle was taken as well, a big Bull Huss
came out to play and a decent Topknot was found.
No bass about though, and a small shoal of 3lb-ish mullet swam by in the shallows.
Well done you. Hope to get in this weekend. If it’s chilly I may have to use the 5mm.

Good effort Nick & Trelawney for getting straight out on it.
Not been on here for years, one of the before FB crowd. I don't do it either.

Not posted as I haven't been for years, and not shot anything for even longer!

I'm going to go this year, saw some YouTube stuff & got me inspired. Just got to find the time..

Take care you guys.

Cheers Stuart

It’s good to see some of the old school posters are still here.
We’ve been out a lot now that the restrictions have been eased. Mostly been hitting the lobsters and the occasional bass.

We were out night diving the other night and took a lobster each. It was over low water, so not much about in the way of silver fish.
70B4C521-482B-47F7-827C-FB7D17CD14F4.jpeg
793487FF-5920-4468-8E7D-210E8B2F742D.jpeg

An early doors dive this morning to try and beat the worst of this easterly. We dived an isolated reef in West Devon, but when we got there mid tide, the sea had a fair bit of swell. Viz was surprisingly good, 10m but milky.
Very little fish seen, just some small schoolie bass and 1lb-ish pollock.
There is one solitary hole in this reef that usually holds lobster, and this one came home with me.
0E356701-83AD-4599-ACFA-C0DEAB43B8BA.jpeg

Reactions: denian and foxfish
A full UK spearo hat-trick this morning.
Glass calm sea, sunshine, 7-8m clear viz and dolphins. What more do you need?
The lobster put up a decent fight at 12m, smacked me in the head as he escaped his lair and ended with me chasing him up a gully until he turned to face me and I could grab him.
FB907984-9542-4ABA-A50F-23CC50E5FF17.jpeg

Nice one, been at Whitsands tonight with the family. Only paddled but spoke to some lads who had seen small bass & mullet. SW wind now blowing, not long before N picks up so should be good conditions S cost for a few more days. I just hope I can get in, water felt quite warm. Cheers HSF

Out for an early dive this morning.
A bit overcast with the wind chopping the surface, but the viz was a good 8ish meters.
It was a bit quiet until we got out deeper, then a couple of bass came in. The lobster was taken at the end of the dive on the swim in.
E1AD3AF4-809D-4E62-95DD-ABF10CD2B746.jpeg
44B16AA7-9983-4E66-8249-8F48EFCC5D75.jpeg

Two year throwback to my commercial scallop diving days today. Our old diving grounds, but this time without the luxury of a boat, scuba or 1000 scallops. I had to settle for 16 in the end, hitting 15m comfortably for most dives. Viz was an appalling 1m or less.
E0C4E21B-4BC5-4350-AE34-55A138A604EC.jpeg

Out early this morning after some pollock.
There was only the odd bass in shallow, so we pushed out deeper and started finding them around the 12-15m mark.
A lone mackerel added to the bag.
Really good viz today and the water is warming up.
105347DA-8C15-430E-9910-AB7CA8BC9EF5.jpeg
9AFF1AC8-0760-4FFB-8D6E-E9E5A11F3053.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
A trip to a pinnacle produced some great fish today.
Two bass at 9lb 10oz and 9lb 1oz, and two black bream.
Viz was exceptional, with the surface clearly visible from 20m down.
7B5F384F-F3E2-45B4-96CD-E7AB7415A298.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT