• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon Report 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Jez

Jun 16, 2005
First dive of the new year last Saturday at Anstey's Cove in Torquay. Viz was 2-3m, lovelly sunny day and nice to get back in the water. Only saw one 8lb wrasse skulking in a cave under the old quarry there. Poor fella must be really lonely as I didn't see anything else, not even a pollack (which the spot always seems to have. No shellfish worth considering. I guess its just part of getting to know your spots all year round.

Spent just over an hour in the water but got out more through boredom than the freezing water, a 5mm suit seems to be fine at the moment. Anyone else had any luck, perhaps down in Cornwall?:)

Hi Jez

Have'nt been out in the last few weeks but will probably take a dive this weekend. I know it's not Cornwall but I'll let you know how it goes anyway! There are plenty of flatties around Portland at the mo...

i have been spearfishing a few times at ansteys cove but not any more because all i ever see is pollock. Now i go to oddicombe beach along the rocks loads of bass and mullet there in the summer. Or petitor beach thats my favouite place to go but its also a nudist beach:yack but they dont mind over people coming down to the beach.

Thanks for the tip Spearhead. I've always kept away from Oddicombe, I've fished off Babbacombe pier in the summer and the place is always buzzing with watercraft. It does look like a lovely dive with good fish potential. Hope Cove works for me on mullet and bass front, bit of a hike down the headland though (although if makes it more of a mini-adventure:) ).

Maybe we could go dive sometime? As I've said, the fish seem rather thin on the ground at the moment. I understand that flat fish are somewhat in season at the moment though but I've not yet found any ground that has them yet without a boat (apart from my lovely 4lb plaice which was in the wrong place at the wrong time last summer!). I might pop over to Wembury way on the weekend to check it out, its supposed to be good and should reasonable viz given the wind at the mo.

Dont think i will be able to stay in long. My suits a windsurfing suit they are different to over surfing suits as its got thin layer of plastic (dont know the real name)so water runs of it. it does not obsorb any water into the suit. If i get a divers hat i will probly stay warmer for longer. The suit is 5 mm but not on the arms and legs. Probly wont be diving again untill early summer.

See you in the summer maybe then? I only started last summer in a 5/3 surf suit but did the right thing and got custom spearo suit from Dave at Spearo in Cornwall.

Made my first trip to the Louis Shield at Thurlestone (South Hams) this morning. Bloody freezing getting changed but fine in the water. Offishore winds all week ensured the viz was pretty good for the time of year 5-7m. A very pretty dive with lots of rock and sand gullies covered in kelp, sea anemones (excuse spelling) and the like. Saw an edible crab but too small for the pot. Also saw a small shoal of sand eels so I headed to the bottom to wait and see if anything larger was following. No such luck, no proper fish seen at all but the ground looks excellent and I can't wait to revisit in the spring/summer when the fish return.

I've never dived a wreck before and I wasn't too bothered about finding it but it found me. It's so close in you can't miss it. I got a really spooky feeling when I happened upon it, can't explain it really but I felt like I wanted to leave as soon as I got there. Maybe I'd be more brave if I had had some company. It was only in about 4m of water at low tide.

May have to get the fishing rods out soon, doesn't seem much hope of bagging anything with the gun at the moment. :head Talk about desperation!

Just picked up this thread on a cold sunday in January stuck indoors looking after my kids who have the flu!
Mind started to dream of summer evenings gliding over shallows on south Devon coast.
I too had little success in Torquay area this year .Live near Wembury and am always impressed by how beautiful wrass look in evening sunlight.
Just for info, a lot of locals think Wembury has some sort of ban on spearing as it's a National trust/marine protection area inshore so keep a low profile to save any unwanted attention.
Roll on the summer eh? Maybe see you lads out there.Col.P.

Hi,
I will be staying near Lyme Regis in April. Any suggestions for spearing spots? Anybody interested in spearing? Would also be interested in going out in a day boat rod fishing -- any recommendations for harbour/boat/company? [I only have light spinning gear -- slightly souped up for light beach work - and some homemade handlines...so boats that supply rods or handlines]. It sounds we will have access to a private beach ... which looks quite promising from the satellite pictures (clear water, weed, sand ...some rocky bit not far away).

I am hoping to have a tandem kayak for the trip -- although I have not had much luck getting one yet. (If you see any for sale down there please let me know).

Last edited:
HI,not very familiar with lyme regis area but when i went there lastsummer i went to a village called Bere nearby which has a beach with potential for spearing.There are also fishing boats for hire at bere as well as being a pretty and quiet part of the coast.
Enjoy your stay and try the cider!!
Col.P.

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for all the tips & suggestion guys -- and will obviously respect confidentiality of PM'd suggestions. Looks like there are a number of places worth visiting -- will only get a chance to visit a few. We have our kayak now too. Fingers crossed -- I am ready for the return of the fish. Just one more piece of unfinished business to take care of....

Would love to see the new Kayak Mr X. Are you going to customise it in someway?

Go faster stripes? It will probably be pretty bare bones initially -- I haven't got the time/money/energy at the moment to do much beyond rigging an anchor, getting a roof rack, making a lifting bar, getting some sort of cart sorted, waterproof bag for the phone & maybe stick a lure on the back (thanks Pav!). [Despite all the promotional photos, my tandem did not include a fit looking young blonde lady in the front seat...pity, I could have foregone the cart & lifting bar ;)].

Got back in the water today at Hopes Nose, Torquay. The beach was nice and warm. Wish I could say the same for the water!:t

Viz was 2m with the odd patch of 3m. Not a sausage in sight (fish I mean:duh ). Not sure if the inshore trawler/dredger thingy working the Nose scared them all off, it sure was noisy under the waves :rcard .

Maybe I'll give it two more weeks. I hope this SW airflow will bring some warmer water our way and encourage a few things to start breeding and making some fish food.

Reactions: Mr. X
went fishing down there last week end not a single bite not much in the bay should be by the end of april.

Lyme Regis/E. Devon Trip Report (summary)

Executive Summary:

Start of week water v. rough & milky, improved daily towards end of week.
***EXCELLENT VIZ*** on Friday (Best I have ever experienced in UK)
***NO FISH***

Conditions looked perfect for fish though -- so I am thinking they just aren't back yet. Actually, I did see the the tail of a small fish disappear in weed & a 2-3lb Ballan Wrasse (spared, not speared).

[Details to follow...].

Last edited:
Ahh, Mr X. You down for long? I have the week off following Easter and am plannig on getting wet. Haven't spotted your kayak. What colour is it?

Went to check the usual spots in Torquay today. Milky, as you say. So I bimbled on down to Dartmouth on a hunch and found a good 3-4 metres viz just outside the estuary mouth to the west. I've fished (rod and line) this area before and had always wanted to dive it, the water just looks so inviting:) .

I didn't stray far from the entry point as I wasn't sure of the currents, being and estuary and all. But the ground I covered looked really promising. Sand gullies, deep water close in, freekin huge rocks covered in kelp, massive overhangs (spent much time inverted, peering into caves). Of course, didn't see any fish but that's just the time of year. Seen some mackerel appearing in the local fishmongers, they're out there somewhere!

I must say, when there's no fish in, exploring new spots keeps diving fresh and interesting. If I'd had gone to my usual spots and found no fish I would have been bored after a short while, jus need a bit of motivation to travel a bit. Anyone interested in plundering the South Hams this summer, give me a shout.

East Devon report continued

Despite a lot of small bass in the fishmongers in Lyme, did not see any down there. First half of the week the whole party had flu -- so very little done. However, I don't think we missed much -- the sea was rough & milky when we arrived & looked similar by the time we were well enough to check again.

The weather seemed to gradually improve all week (from a diving perspective). We visited several locations with different aspects on the off-chance that one might offer flatter conditions. Mainly E. Devon but also W. Dorset. We visited several gorgeous, out of the way, locations...definitely worth getting off the beaten track a little. [Sorry, I promised not to divulge specific locations]...but did not get to dive at most.

Thurs. looked promising (N/NE winds, sunny) & we visited a S. facing beach. Unfortunately although much flatter conditions were not great & the water stilla little milky. With time running out, I decided to give it a try anyway -- which involved a long-ish walk in. After going out a couple of hundred feet the water cleared with about 2m viz for about 3 minutes before closing in again. Swam around for a while trying to find clear water but eventually came out -- glad at least to be back in the water. Checkout another location that evening that seemed much calmer & clearer but too tired to dive again.

Following day visited the calmer location. The weather had turned distinctly grey & cold overnight but the water was still clear & relatively calm. I placed a cray trap before heading out spearing. The water was quite clear & viz opened up to perhaps as much as 10m on the way out -- perhaps the best viz I have experienced in the UK. The environment was rich with sea life, colour and changed the further out I went. I saw several star fish before turning around (often a sign that plaice are around an old fisherman later told me -- he also pointed out where they usually were). On the swim back I saw a large, familiar head poking out of the weed -- a Ballan Wrasse. It looked like it might be big, maybe 6lb, but I prodded the rock nearby & it shot off -- the body was very small relative to the head, perhaps only 2-3lb. The main fish sighting of the day. There were plenty of food sources (snails, moluscs, starfish, crab,...) & weed types & rocks -- seemed like ideal conditions for fish -- so I am thinking the cold weather has delayed the return.

The cray trap caught only 2 small crabs & a fish (Miller's thumb/gurnard?), so released those. I'd had an excellent snorkel despite the lack of fish. On the way back the local fisherman also pointed out a flattie area closeby. As the water looked so good, I decided to take a quick look around before leaving. The water was great & different in character to the stretch I had just dived. I saw no flatties but it was great fun looking anyway. Most enjoyable day's diving so far.

Last edited:
East Devon report continued.

Oh...one more thing. Suggest using some discretion if you plan to visit Beer. We dropped by one evening and I chatted with one of the guys with a business on the beach (asking about parking & the fishing boats) -- he was very helpful & friendly but he did mention that some spearfishermen "cleared out all the bass" last year (I was in tourist mode at the time, he had no idea I was spearing). He reckoned they took 5 bass one day & a similar number another day...which reminded me of an article I read on this thread or its predecessor!

I certainly make no judgement, just passing on the story. That is a pretty small bay & apparently little goes unnoticed. The local fisherman are all crabbers & clammers -- they don't actually catch fish, so this would not be a direct threat to their livings. I think it was more just concern for the local environment.

Found a couple of nice bays for kayaking (several actually offer kayak hire during the season -- somethings were just opening or just about to open when we were down there). I must say, even without the great seaside locations, that area (Exmouth-West Bay-Bridport-Chard) is a very beautiful part of the country . Excellent area.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT