• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon Report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Think I'll add dogfish to my "will not kill(...usually)"-list -- I didn't realise fish could be so "tame"/docile:
  1. Dogfish/Shark
  2. Wrasse
...Hey, I never said it was a big list!:D

nah...doggies are rank to eat. Leave the rock salmon to the "grockles" and go for better quarry. I'm trying to but am a bit of a crap shot on the quiet! Incidently i have, on three seperate occasions this year, gone to pull the trigger on my commanche only to find I have accidently knocked the safety to "on". It's well frustrating so i'm thinking of just taping over the catch so there is no safe mode! Anyone got any thoughts?

Rather than tape it over, on my omer and sporasub guns I just take catch out everyone else I know does the same thing. Never had any problems with this course action. I also use an 80cm totemsub gun, were the safety is not an issue as they are not fitted.

The safety on the Comanche is a push through type? If so, put it in the off position, then drill a hole through the button right next to the mechanism, and put a 1/4" piece of thick mono through the hole and burn the ends over. That way the safety is impossible to turn on. Spearguns should not be fitted with safety catches in my opinion. the only safety is slack rubbers
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Reactions: Mr. X
dave said:
...Spearguns should not be fitted with safety catches in my opinion. the only safety is slack rubbers
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk
Have to agree. I was advised to not use the safety, ignored the advice and so missed what would have been my second kill, a decent size bass :(. Still, lesson learnt. If the gun needs to be made safe -- then it must be unloaded, i.e. slack bands.

Well thanks for the tips lads...consider the weapon "adjusted"! Those doubles are sure in trouble now! (cough!) :)

Hoping this weather holds out to allow a quick sesh around portland this weekend. Strong northerly predicted on friday, may just get away with it!

IMO the only safe gun is an unloaded one! And even then I never point it at anyone (you never know if a wave might catch you and push you towards your buddy in the water!). I always 'disable' the saftey catches on my guns. That way I know it'll never be on when I'm linning up on a fish, but also, I know that as it's never 'safe' I am always aware and make sure I never ever point it where it shouldn't be pointed.

Reactions: Mr. X
Dive Budleigh Salterton early Sunday morning. A bit chilly getting changed with frost all around but once in it was lovely.

Oily calm seas and viz at around 6-7m in bright winter sunshine. It was a lovelly dive, shame I didn't see any fish. There were the usual huge wrasse, millions (no exagerration) of starfish and a few baby pollack (next year :p ). Anyone else get any results over the weekend?

Wow I thought viz would be awful after the winds, etc. last week. Apparently not.

Do you think water temp. will still be ok to dive over the Christmas hols? I want to get out a few more times before winter sets in hard.

Not really a south devon report but I dived on Sunday and had about 25ft viz of off Brighton. We were three miles out. Only thing was no bass at all.

Flattie basher said:
Not really a south devon report but I dived on Sunday and had about 25ft viz of off Brighton. We were three miles out. Only thing was no bass at all.
Somebody told me that they saw some kind of electronic fish detecter (ultrasonic presumably) for sale in Lidls supermarket for just under 30 pounds a month or so ago. I wonder if they are any good? I believe Miles uses one (although probably not from Lidls!:)). Probably not much use for flatties though :D.

I use both a GPS and fishfinder, does not help us all of the time though. A good combined unit for a boat might cost you £700.00. Hand held GPS can be bought for a couple of hundred £.

I remember seeing them. You can get similar from the USA of ebay for similar money. Better to go for something mid priced like the eagle fishfinders. £50 in the usa if anyones on a holiday!! , or about £100 here. I came back from florida with a Marlin GPS and a Eagle fishfinder for £100! I use the GPS a lot as I dive from my kayak, but never did get around to fitting the fishfinder this summer! , a winter job so its ready for next season.

Hi Pav, that's cool. I am hoping to get a kayak (I have been told I need the exercise -- so no Zodiac for me! :( ) and wondered if a fish finder might be worthwhile (it would likely need to be completely waterproof!:D). Mini-flares might be a higher priority though!

Do you have a sit-on kayak (OK/Cobra/Perception/Bic/...)? How far out do you go -- mainly shore-hugging & across bays (Torbay)? Any tips? I heard the Ocean Kayaks Scrambler XT is good, reasonably priced dive kayak but they seem much less common than the Frenzy in the UK. I am thinking of getting a 2-seater that can also be power by one (no doubt such a compromise will have its disadvantages).

Er...South Dorset Report this time.

Took a dip out of Wemouth. Similar 7m viz (absolutely superb!) Loads of dog wrasse about and the armies of pollack to go with them, and guess what??? No Bass! :head Saw some tasty ground which i'd like to check out next season. The temp on my d3 was a tropical 10 degrees. I think i'll call it a day for this season and concentrate on a bit of pool work ? over the winter.

Seems to me that the bass are finally buggering off for the winter. I know the Weymouth angling boats are still hauling in the race off of Portland Bill...

I read in a friend's fish book that bass move around the coast towards the end of Cornwall in winter. If true, you'd think a lot of them might end up going around Portland Bill, the southern tip of south Devon, Lizard, etc. Several people have told me fish stop feeding in Winter (I have to point out that my speargun does mind that!), if this is the case for bass, then presumably they are heading to warmer water or breeding grounds rather than to a feeding area? [Of course, this could all be b*llocks]. Has anybody been fishing around the south tip of Devon recently (e.g Prawle Point)?

The guy in Porland Oceaneering also suggest Portland Bill (head lands always strike me as a more serious proposition). He also mentioned that boat fishermen had been catching bass just off of Chesil beach.

BTW Where abouts (roughly -- not after any secrets) in Weymouth did you go, the harbour? Just wondering if the whole area had decent viz -- we had been assuming it would be awful this last week.

Last edited:
Mr X, I own a Macski Kingfisher (http://www.macski.co.za/fishingski.htm). Got mine 2nd hand which was still expensive. Advantage of this yak is its fast! and loads of storage and deck area. I have just got a Cobra Kayak Tandem (http://www.cobrakayaks.co.uk) but waiting to pick it up (this you can also paddle single as you suggested)! Your welcome to PM me next season and join me on that if you wish. Sit ons are generally very stable, but some of the shorter ones are very slow. I usually paddle to an area (usually trolling a lure on the way!), spearfish and if no Bass or bad vis move on to a new area. A bit more equipment etc to get ready so if I make the effort to go on the Yak it tends to be for a good 6 hours of which about 4 are in the water diving.

A friend has a Malibu 2 which paddles well as a tandem and a single. I did look at the smaller single seaters before I got the macski but decided although they would be easy to carry etc the hull speed would fustrate me. I've heard good things about the scupper pro as well as the scrambler you mentioned.

Let me know if I can help further, or if you want to get a lift on the tandem next season (I have given up this year! , but enjoy reading the south coast reports still!)

Only out from the Nothe Fort. Some of the ground there is tip top...proably ripe fo the picking in the summer! Have had good results here on rod and line but for some reason have neglected it on the spearing front...There's always next season, get down and check it out!

ps. Have been toying with the kayak idea also...vastly expensive mind. Worth saving a bit more and having a rib???

Pav said:
Mr X, I own a Macski Kingfisher (http://www.macski.co.za/fishingski.htm). Got mine 2nd hand which was still expensive. Advantage of this yak is its fast! and loads of storage and deck area. I have just got a Cobra Kayak Tandem (http://www.cobrakayaks.co.uk) but waiting to pick it up (this you can also paddle single as you suggested)! Your welcome to PM me next season and join me on that if you wish. Sit ons are generally very stable, but some of the shorter ones are very slow. I usually paddle to an area (usually trolling a lure on the way!), spearfish and if no Bass or bad vis move on to a new area. A bit more equipment etc to get ready so if I make the effort to go on the Yak it tends to be for a good 6 hours of which about 4 are in the water diving.

A friend has a Malibu 2 which paddles well as a tandem and a single. I did look at the smaller single seaters before I got the macski but decided although they would be easy to carry etc the hull speed would fustrate me. I've heard good things about the scupper pro as well as the scrambler you mentioned.

Let me know if I can help further, or if you want to get a lift on the tandem next season (I have given up this year! , but enjoy reading the south coast reports still!)
Sounds good -- I might take you up your kind offer. The Cobra Tandem seems like it would be ideal for my needs -- although not cheap -- it has a really high carrying capacity. I weigh around 230lb (all hard, lean muscle you understand), my sometime spearing partner probably more -- most 2-seaters can't handle that. It is also a good length & weight (for a roof rack). Are you getting it from the importer in Salisbury?

The OK Malibu II & OK Side Kick are the other kayaks that caught my interest -- they seems well regarded but would not be able to carry 2 (X-)large adults. They should be ok with kids & smaller adults though. There is an XL version of the Malibu but it is just too big I think. There is a Bic kayak that looks pretty good too.

Do you like the South African kayak/surf ski? [Perhaps Paul & Colin at Rob Allen Europe would consider importing a few?]

BTW I noticed that Portland Oceaneering had several kayaks in the store a week or so ago -- apparently testing the market with Bournmouth Canoes.

fearthespear said:
ps. Have been toying with the kayak idea also...vastly expensive mind. Worth saving a bit more and having a rib???
Yes, I was taken aback at the prices of the sit-ons ... I think being new & trendy (and a good idea) they command a premium; there is more demand than supply in the UK at the moment (second hand ones are still fairly rare). I had a similar discussion with an old friend recently and the next day he picked up a canoe for 20 pounds in a garage sale! rofl

I don't know about a proper RIB, but a decent second hand inflatible/wood/aluminium floored Zodiac with engine & trailer can be had for about 500-600 pounds (less for the smallest sizes) -- about the same as a well equipped Cobra Tandem! (I know, I already looked into it!:D). But then you would have to buy a health club membership, treadmill or weights to get your exercise!:D Not really sure what I would do with the Zodiac if I got one. Also, as several people have commented -- you might puncture them with all those pointy spears, stringers, knives, etc.! a friend bought a Dory last year so, if I am lucky, I might get some insight into the joys of a small motor boat next year too. He took proper RYA training and certification (yacht master?) -- another boating expense (of which there are apparently many!) although probably a good investment. I would like to kayak while I am still young enough & fit enough to -- like spearing from snorkel rather than scuba diving, there is some appeal to the simplicity of it -- the zodiac can wait until I am older!

Mr X. The Tandem I've ordered is 2nd hand! I couldn't afford the new price!! Check your free ads during the winter. Once you get to spring you'll be lucky to pick one up cheap 2nd hand. I looked for one last winter but never found one. Lucky this year!

I would if buying new have gone for the malibu 2 just on price, but think the cobras are a bit higher quality if you have an option.

My view on boats is that I am more confident in a Yak (although I do have 20+ years experience). My fears of boats.. What if your engine fails? Backup engine?? How well do you know the reef / depth of water? Weight is a big issue. I can launch anywhere without a slipway! and can drag the Yak clear of the water to the high tide mark if I make base camp on a beach. No petrol! , No servicing! , no trailer to tow! Stored inside safe in the garage!.. The only downside is how far you go depends on how fit you are! and you go a bit slower! Also you need to know your tides if you have fast tide races locally as these can be faster than you can paddle. and!.. long paddles are hard work in a 5mm wetsuit! I tend to pack mine and put it on once I get to my chosen spot. Then I only paddle short distances before taking it off for the paddle home. A friend locally has just sold his boat and trailer to replace it with a Yak as locally we are a bit restricted with slipways , and the few we have are tide dependent and get busy during the summer so owning a boat can be hard work!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT