• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon Report

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
alright 'yak lovers...back off!!!! I'm going to buy the biggest boat I can...with two engines!!!

Nah, just kidding! I was thinking only a small vessel, 3 man-er or so. Wouldn't need a slip for something this size?? Get your point though, a buddy and myself have chatted about 'yaks before. Would be excellent for covering Portland Harbour entrances etc. I just feel that a boat would give greater range and be good for following a mate in areas where the tide is running hard. A couple of spots we fish from the shore involve a hard swim at the end of each "run" down tide. A boat would have the edge in this instance. Tell you what, i'll get both!

what if the 2nd engine failed?! :duh

I think you kinda got the edge with this one! , although search "canoe engines!".. Yes you can fit an electric outboard on a sit on top.., but then of course you'd have to fit a 2nd one just in case rofl

but then there is something fun about climbing in to a rib!

Pav said:
...What if your engine fails? Backup engine?? How well do you know the reef / depth of water? Weight is a big issue. I can launch anywhere without a slipway!...
Good point, my friend already got a second engine for his Dory.
fearthespear said:
alright 'yak lovers...back off!!!! I'm going to buy the biggest boat I can...with two engines!!!
...Would be excellent for covering Portland Harbour entrances etc. I just feel that a boat would give greater range and be good for following a mate in areas where the tide is running hard....Tell you what, i'll get both!
Are you American by any chance? rofl Have to agree about the tides -- a powerful boat (with a working engine!) would be useful but then it might tempt you into situation that you would otherwise avoid. Yes, of course, get both - why didn't I think of that:duh. So, uh...do you think you'd have room for me and Pav on your new RIB?!;) [I'll pay for the petrol.../gas!].

Pav said:
what if the 2nd engine failed?! :duh
I think it is standard practice to carry oars(?)... I bet rowing a Zodiac rib in a fast moving tide is really exciting:) rofl

[Let me know if you see anymore second hand Cobra Tandems around :wave ]

I own a kayak and a RIB. The risk of a properly maintained engine breaking in any major unfixable way is about the same as losing or breaking a paddle in the kayak. outboards have a bad rep for reliabity because most people dont look after them!
The kayak is great for some spots, and less hassle than a boat, but I wouldn't fancy diving 10 miles offshore from a kayak!
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

dave said:
The kayak is great for some spots, and less hassle than a boat, but I wouldn't fancy diving 10 miles offshore from a kayak!
www.spearo.co.uk
I'd be pretty concerned diving 10 miles off shore from a dinghy or small boat. What kind of safety gear do you carry for trip that far out -- flares/radio/cellphone(masts can be directed up to 65km out to sea -- probably only done on major ferry routes)/GPS/compass/wind direction/speed measurer? I guess a wetsuit gives you a pretty good safety margin. Long fins even more so. Might take a while to cover 10 miles swimming though!

Any tips on securing spearing gear on a RIB?

Last edited:
We use a 5m Spora Sub rib in France, and I've a planche as shown. Not seen any kayaks in France or over here for that matter. Just too bulky to carry to most of the rocky coastline spots. Planche is inflatable, carry like a ruck sack. Accessories attach to planche. Many French spearos make their own from old windsurfers etc....mmmmm

Attachments

• sevylor_dive-hunter_l_315x315.gif
    sevylor_dive-hunter_l_315x315.gif
    30.1 KB · Views: 223
There is French kayak that looks better than average, made by Bic (of Pen/razor fame) -- too pricey currently though. Omer also has a boogie board type float now too, with flag & bag (handy for water/spare/camera/mini-flares/car keys?), looks pretty good. I like Miles' heavy duty boogie board float -- I think he said Tommy Botha(sp?) in SA made it -- reinforced attachment point, etc..; I have seen pictures of West Coast USA spearo's using something similar.

I think we had the 2-man kayak/4-man+ type rib in mind though. There is no great hurry, I am still having a lot fun diving from the beach -- often I see fish on the swim out to the supposed fishing spot ...which I would never see from a boat. The exercise helped me knock a couple of inches off my waistline last year too.

Back to Devon: Anybody spearing around Brixham? The first spearfishermen I ever saw were in Brixham, many years ago.

Robbo66 said:
We use a 5m Spora Sub rib in France, and I've a planche as shown. Not seen any kayaks in France or over here for that matter. Just too bulky to carry to most of the rocky coastline spots. Planche is inflatable, carry like a ruck sack. Accessories attach to planche. Many French spearos make their own from old windsurfers etc....mmmmm
Looks like you can get these in Britain now, I see our friends, Paul & Colin, at Rob Allen Europe (www.roballeneurope.com) have just started selling them:

"An all new Spearfishing Platforn , super light, highly visible and with very little cluttering.
The platform will allow spearos to move across the water more quickly and securely.

Provided with a window bubble to allow easy viewing of the reef without getting off or putting your head in the water.

Dim: 120x70 cm - Weights: 3KG - 4 big stainless steel rings of which 3 are underneath - Multiples plastic rings hang plastic to fix spearguns and other equipment to.

Supplied in a small net bag net - 4 inflatable compartments - A small true jewel!!

£115 inclusive of postage in the UK"

[Also available (with similar products) in USA apparently: http://diversdiscount.com/resources...sdiscount.com/shop/shopon.asp?category=Kayaks ]

Alternatively... home made boogie board floats have also been described in other threads & forums.
e.g. http://www.peskybeaver.com/catalog/tips.php#diveboard
or, for big game, Miles' SA Tommy Botha Tuna board: http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=51471&page=2&pp=15

Attachments

• Platform1.jpg
    Platform1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 302
  • Platform2.gif
    Platform2.gif
    23 KB · Views: 218
  • diveboard_1.jpg
    diveboard_1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
I sometimes use a speed hunter bouy. Advantage is it fits inside the boot! Not inflatable like the new style, but rigid plastic construction. Advantage of this is the actual bouy itself has a hatch and items can be stored inside it. Its similar to the bouys the mad french people swim down white water rapids with!, but with dive flag and spearfishing fixtures!

I think we had the 2-man kayak/4-man+ type rib in mind though. There is no great hurry, I am still having a lot fun diving from the beach -- often I see fish on the swim out to the supposed fishing spot ...which I would never see from a boat. The exercise helped me knock a couple of inches off my waistline last year too.

http://www.acoloca.com/fbs/Apex2.htm
hey Mr X try this place, they are on sale now for £330

When I lived in the UK I used a 1metre competition gun, bought from Sandford and Down; not sure if they are still going. This was fantastic for bass, and accurate enough for a vertical shot through the top of the head. I still use it after 24 years.When I visit the UK, I bring along my NZ gun, which is 120cms, single rubber, with spring-steel shaft and long flopper. This is great for long-distance shots, when the bass think they are out of range. The extra reach is also helpful. The downside is trying to turn the gun quickly, especially in weed. Was back last year and had a lot of success around Start Point at low tide around rocky and weedy outcrops, especially where there were sandy bottom channels between the rocks.

Last edited:
Well back to the topic at hand. No offence!

Dived Budleigh Wednesday. In a word, disappointing. Viz was less than hoped for as there was a bit of swell running in the channel. Nice to get wet though (if a little frozen). No fish seen, plenty of starfish as usual and lots of empty shells (I assume that there's some explanation there - greedy little starfish!).

Not planning on diving for while.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT