• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear fishing Cape Verde Islands, Sal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Important tips for Cape verde.
Take A visa card, not a Master card.
Take enough cash in euro's, the banks are a rip off
Exchange money with the local internet shop, best
Change your accomodation for the best you can find when you are there

Looks like a great trip. Excellent pictures. What depth did you spear the fish at and what did that big one in the photo weigh?

Dave

The one's in the photo's were the 2 smallest of the day, I did not weigh them, but i guess them to be around 20-25kg. The biggest that day was 44kg.
I had unplanned spinal surgery 2.5 weeks before going, so I was not allowed to pick up stuff. Still my back held out fine.
Got to be a doc not to listen to a doc.

2 FoxFish - thanx for redirecting to this page!!!

2 pauldeclercq, Hi Paul, looks like you really enjoyed your trip! Would you mind giving me the contact details of BAfa or his dad. We are planning to come over to Cape Verde for one week and we think it would really useful for us to know someone local who for reasonable money will help us with the boat and show us good spearfishing spots.

I found a very old thread http://forums.deeperblue.com/spearo-board/60641-spearfishing-cape-verde-help.html#post737214 and there was the guy Seal. He mentioned that he moves to Cape Verde and is going to run a boat there. Has anyone heard of him anything. Maybe he will also be able to assist us in arranging our spearfishing week in this beautiful place.
Thanx to all in advance!

Hey guys this is an old thread. Sorry for not replying back, my account did not work. And I had no good news to share with you guys.

I was living down there on Fogo for about a year. And we got alot of fish. Sadly we were chased off by Senegal longliners going for shark-fins. They destroyed the fishing grounds and we had to back down. But they are gone now.

I am going down there again in 2 days and will be living on Sal this time. I have taken over a dog rescue shelter from a lady. I might as well try to do some good when im there. If anyone wants to, feel free to look me up down there. Im bringing more spearfishing gear this time. Also feel free to contact me on my email: elsborg2000@hotmail.com

Im going to be there looking after the dogs and I would appreciate the company of fellow spearos so no worrys :)

Reactions: foxfish
Good on you mate because I saw a lot of dogs that needed a little love!!
I think you have your work cut out all right.

I liked St. Maria, good fishing. And even more I liked Murdeira.

@Seal
I would appreciate if you can do me a favour. I'll send you an email.

Hi guys!

seen this thread:
...any hint or contacts for blue water spearfishing at Boa Vista? ;)

Many thanks!
Cheers,
-Maurizio
Italy

Hey guys
So I am living on Sal now, in a big house with the dogs.
Octopus im sorry to say that I have not yet had time to go look for that guy you know. Its been quite busy.

Also I havent been able to get a weight belt and weights yet :(

But I am here in Santa Maria on Sal. So drop me a mail or swing by and have a chat :)

Allright I will keep you updated.

Hi I'm Carlos from Portugal. Im going to Cape Verde for spearfishing if anyone wants to join.
I'm going from 19-3 july to the island of Boavista and from 3-7 july island of Sal and from 7-16 to the island of S. Vicente.
If anyone will be there in that time please tell me. If you have any contacts of boats or spearfishers please tell me.

Spearfishing in Boavista

There some boats of bi game that can take you to spear wahoo or sailfish but they are expensive 600 euros a day. The local fishers have some small boats that can take you spear but I don't know about blue spearfishing. I will search for the opportunity to go for the blue

@Seal
Glad to hear you have settled well.
I am sure local spearos or scuba schools will have some extra weight/belts.

@padeiro23
600€ is normally price to hire a rod-fishing speedboat and skipper for the whole day. For what you need, you would be hugely overpaying. There is no need to do that.
When in Sal - just go between 6-7 in the morning to the local pier in St. Maria. You'll see local fishermen. They'll be more than happy to take you on for 40€. Now, you can make all sorts of deals. For example, if you give them the fish you catch, they may let you off cheaper. Or if you give them some spearfishing/diving gear they may ask you only to cover the fuel cost (perhaps 10-20€).

hello,
have anyone tried to rent apartments or lived in a hotel? what the cost of living there?

I stayed in Porto Antigo, very nice and you can bargian the price down. Make sure the aircon works. Can't remember what I paid, but it was very reasonable.
For spearfishing get hold of Bafa, a local spearo(who was hit by the italian sport fishing boat) his family and friends go out spearfishing every morning from the pier in St' Maria at 6 am.
If you take them some equipment ie socks, 180m 7.5mm RA shafts or 20mm bands or gloves etc....
I can give you the numbers of the guys there. I shot a yelow fin tuna and some dorado on the first day, then wahoo the next and a big sailfish on the 3rd.Add me on FB paul.de.clercq@gmail.com.
Paul.

I am almost a beginner, I have only shot 1 wrasse and 2 rockfish in the Med, but I love it and I'm going to be in Cabo Verde (Santa Maria in Sal) in 2 weeks. Anyone got any updates on the place since last post was in 2010? I really need a buddy to dive with, is there such a thing as a shop doing lessons or guiding?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT